Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmaseve

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
I'm not a sprint customer, but happened to reading the fine print on their new "My All-In" and "Unlimited, My Way" plans. I found this wording very interesting for a company pushing "Unlimited" plans:

Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
Can't say I didn't tell you :eek:

I knew this would happen sooner or later. Unlimited LTE is just a bit unfair. Even if it is slow LTE...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm not a sprint customer, but happened to reading the fine print on their new "My All-In" and "Unlimited, My Way" plans. I found this wording very interesting for a company pushing "Unlimited" plans:

Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. Streaming video speeds may be limited to 1 Mbps.
Yeah, I don't know which plans would receive priority especially now. Sprint has eliminated all the Everything Data plans, official death date will be November of this year.

But the streaming part of that line (as well as a few other sections in the fine print) make it clear that Sprint will be "optimizing" video.

Frankly, these new plans are a joke unless you have more than two lines. I am now grandfathered on an ED 1500 family plan. Two lines, 2GB hotspot and after taxes it comes out to around $186/month. If I went to one of these plans I'd be paying $30-40 more and I'd be getting 1GB less for tethering! I also have an Airave, which Sprint gave me free with a $0 monthly charge. I don't trust Sprint to not tack that on as a third line and start charging me for it if I switched, which would make the new plan even MORE expensive.

Whatever media outlets decided that these are reduced rate plans are smoking something, because they aren't. They are price increases and while they "guarantee" unlimited they do not guarantee price. I'm already getting unlimited and we never touch most of our 1500 minutes because we already have Anytime, Anymobile minutes and free nights/weekends. So, I don't see a benefit to gettting "unlimited" guaranteed (when I already have it).

If this is the new Softbank, I'm not impressed.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I thought Sprint made a huge deal about not throttling ;)

The company is such a joke.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
props to you for finding this! Now they're no better than the rest for their deceit.
It's a subject of some discussion over at sprintusers.com. I commend the OP for mentioning it here, but Sprint users are old hands at reading the fine print in Sprint contracts, reporting on it and ranting about it. It's not a new conversation over there.

----------

I thought Sprint made a huge deal about not throttling ;)

The company is such a joke.
Yeah, on the old ED plans apparently. Just not on the new one's now I guess.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Plenty fast actually, don't know how you can call 20+Mbps slow.
Sounds fast to me, if I could get it. Phoenix, AZ has been promised 4G by Sprint in one form or another since 2010 (first WiMax by Clearwire and now LTE by Sprint).

Even Robert over at s4gru.com is disgusted at how slow Alcatel-Lucent is working out here.

Despite Softbank, Network Vision seems (at least to me) to be stalled in quite a few areas of the country.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Sounds fast to me, if I could get it. Phoenix, AZ has been promised 4G by Sprint in one form or another since 2010 (first WiMax by Clearwire and now LTE by Sprint).

Even Robert over at s4gru.com is disgusted at how slow Alcatel-Lucent is working out here.

Despite Softbank, Network Vision seems (at least to me) to be stalled in quite a few areas of the country.
Yeah the roll-out is taking way longer than expected but crap happens, it will be complete eventually. I had LTE on a tower by my work for over a week and while fast the ping times were abnormally high and Wednesday it just disappeared, guess there was an issue at the tower so as I said crap happens.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yeah the roll-out is taking way longer than expected but crap happens, it will be complete eventually. I had LTE on a tower by my work for over a week and while fast the ping times were abnormally high and Wednesday it just disappeared, guess there was an issue at the tower so as I said crap happens.
Oh yeah. So far, I have no plans to leave (will even be upgrading my wife's phone in a month).

I know it will get here, but I'll just be dissapointed if it only shows up a bit before or even after my two year contract is up (September, 2014).

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Oh yeah. So far, I have no plans to leave (will even be upgrading my wife's phone in a month).

I know it will get here, but I'll just be dissapointed if it only shows up a bit before or even after my two year contract is up (September, 2014).
Another thing people don't realize is that Sprint is not just installing panels at the cell towers, they are stripping the towers of everything and putting in all new equipment, this takes time and throw in running fiber to the site and delays such as weather and permits take their toll on the speed at which the sites are completed. AT&T and Verizon had it easy as all they had to do for the most part is throw up the new panels and flip a switch, though the blame is totally on Sprint for neglecting their network for the last 10 years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Another thing people don't realize is that Sprint is not just installing panels at the cell towers, they are stripping the towers of everything and putting in all new equipment, this takes time and throw in running fiber to the site and delays such as weather and permits take their toll on the speed at which the sites are completed. AT&T and Verizon had it easy as all they had to do for the most part is throw up the new panels and flip a switch, though the blame is totally on Sprint for neglecting their network for the last 10 years.
True, true and true. Some towers have equipment dating back to 1997.

As to the backhaul you also have to consider some of the vendors. In some markets, AT&T is the vendor supplying fiber - if that tells you anything. ;)

I cut Sprint a lot of slack in that WiMax was not their fault. Clearwire eventually tapped out and just gave Sprint the middle finger on the whole thing and would not build out the network.

I understand too, Sprint's process in the rollout. Activate towers as they are approved instead of waiting for all towers (or a majority of) in specific markets to be upgraded. Unfortunately, there seems to be a disconnect between planning and execution and Sprint's PR department. The PR department has done a bang-up job of making Sprint look very bad. In the rush to publicize Sprint and LTE they've only managed to highlight the hangups and shortcomings and call attention to the problems. Sprint learned nothing from the one example that could have been instructive - AT&T and it's network when it got the iPhone.

It tells you something when Sprint's PR department starts advertising LTE for the summer and instead of saying that Sprint is bringing LTE to you, they tell you to go somewhere else where Sprint has LTE.

I also think Sprint could have chosen better partners. Alcatel-Lucent hasn't turned a profit in 7 years, has no positive cash flow and it's board just replaced their CEO; the new guy is looking at job cuts. I don't know about Ericsson and Samsung. I also can't explain how it is that these three vendors seem to work quickly for the other carriers, but have massive problems when it comes to Sprint.

I just think, all in all, this whole thing could have been handled better. I know eventually it will be done, but for right now it's just a huge pain.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
AT&T and Verizon had it easy as all they had to do for the most part is throw up the new panels and flip a switch, though the blame is totally on Sprint for neglecting their network for the last 10 years.

It wasn't this simple for VZW. They didn't have the backhaul for LTE when they were running the old EVDO network. How come they were able to get backhaul and finish deploying LTE all over the US in such a sort period of time?

Over at Sprint, they keep blaming vendors and not being able to get backhaul, yet VZW has no issues?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
It wasn't this simple for VZW. They didn't have the backhaul for LTE when they were running the old EVDO network. How come they were able to get backhaul and finish deploying LTE all over the US in such a sort period of time?

Over at Sprint, they keep blaming vendors and not being able to get backhaul, yet VZW has no issues?
Yeah, this is something I've never had satsfactorily explained. Crippled as A-L is, it's still a vendor that the other carriers have contracted with and can seem to get the job done on time.

No one over at Sprint has been able to explain how the vendors can be competent when it comes to the other three and inept when it comes to Sprint.

I think there's more to the story, this is Sprint after all.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Further down in the fine print:

Network speeds of 1 Mbs will occur on clear days, with winds less than 5 mph, humidity between 21% and 23% and between 420 am and 427 am on Wednesdays.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Sprint just doesn't have money or the resources to build out network with LTE and keep pace with AT&T/Verizon. The same can be said about T-Mobile. It is also the reason why the plans on Sprint and T-Mobile are cheaper and why they have less stringent credit check for postpaid accounts. Unfortunately, this bad for consumers, because of lack of competition.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Sprint seems to me like a big fat mess, don't they need the old nextel towers that they have to somewhat take advantage of? maybe converting them to LTE/evdo towers??

and what about their wiimax? they are probably waiting for people to expire their contracts and switch them to LTE. I don't believe they would like to keep paying high costs to maintain these wimax networks or keep investing on them.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint just doesn't have money or the resources to build out network with LTE and keep pace with AT&T/Verizon. The same can be said about T-Mobile. It is also the reason why the plans on Sprint and T-Mobile are cheaper and why they have less stringent credit check for postpaid accounts. Unfortunately, this bad for consumers, because of lack of competition.
Actually, Network Vision has already been paid for. The problem is the rollout, and the problem with the rollout is the vendors.

What I can't figure out is that since Sprint says that the rollout has already hit a "fever" pitch and the rollout is paid for, what exactly is increased capex (capital expenditure) from Softbank going to do?

If the vendors are moving as fast as they can as Sprint claims, how does more money make them go faster?

Yet another unanswered question from Sprint.

----------

Sprint seems to me like a big fat mess, don't they need the old nextel towers that they have to somewhat take advantage of? maybe converting them to LTE/evdo towers

and what about their wiimax? they are probably waiting for people to expire their contracts and switch them to LTE. I don't believe they would like to keep paying high costs to maintain these wimax networks or keep investing on them.
The Nextel towers are being repurposed for 800mhz spectrum LTE. The one's that aren't being scrapped that is.

WiMax is dead. Sprint now owns Clearwire's towers and all of that equipment will be tuned for LTE.

Sprint has given WiMax phone owners an out. Since WiMax is being shut off, those customers can leave ETF free since it's considered to be a "material" change to the contract. Or, they can choose to upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.