Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

galaxy_note_ii_iphone_5.jpg

5.5-inch Samsung Galaxy Note II vs. iPhone 5 (Source: phoneArena.com)

The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple and its suppliers are testing larger screens for both the iPhone and iPad:
In recent months, Apple has asked for prototype smartphone screens larger than 4 inches and has also asked for screen designs for a new tablet device measuring slightly less than 13 inches diagonally, they said. The current iPhone 5 has a four-inch screen, while the iPad has a 9.7-inch screen. The iPad Mini, a stripped-down version of its tablet computer, has a 7.9-inch screen.
Reports of larger screen sizes for Apple's iPhone model are not new. Multiple reports have already suggested that Apple has been experimenting with screen sizes as large as 5.7" for the iPhone.

However, only one previous rumor, which we classified as "sketchy" emerged in May that pinpointed a 12.9" size for a future iPad.
The larger iPad, which the site apparently in all seriousness says would be called "iPad Maxi", would launch in the first half of 2014 and be intended to target the ultrabook market as well as increase utility for digital textbooks.
While we dismissed that rumor before, the Wall Street Journal's sources apparently confirm the testing of this large almost 13" screen size. The newspaper does explain that these new designs may never make it to market.

Meanwhile, they say the new 2013 iPad will be ramping up later this month. This year's iPad will use the same 9.7" screen, but with a lighter and thinner display structure.

Article Link: Apple Testing Screens for a Larger iPhone and a 13-Inch iPad

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
I can see a market for both of these ideas, although I personally wouldn't want a tablet that large. It might be good for artists and musicians though.

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
A bigger screen iPhone next year seems obvious. With all the built-in navigation gestures in iOS 7, it all just adds up.

themachugger

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
I seriously doubt they would make a 13 inch iPad. What I am really hoping is that they are testing a 13 inch touchscreen for a MacBook Air. I won't buy one until it gets touch. As it is now, I'm so used to using my iPad with a logitech keyboard, every time I go back to using my 17 inch MacBookPro, I constantly find myself reaching for the screen to move something around only to quickly be reminded it isn't a touchscreen.

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I seriously doubt they would make a 13 inch iPad. What I am really hoping is that they are testing a 13 inch touchscreen for a MacBook Air. I won't buy one until it gets touch. As it is now, I'm so used to using my iPad with a logitech keyboard, every time I go back to using my 17 inch MacBookPro, I constantly find myself reaching for the screen to move something around only to quickly be reminded it isn't a touchscreen.

Is a touchscreen OS X tablet possible? I wonder if OSX UI is suited for touch, compared to Windows 8 desktop.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Maybe just me

Maybe it's just me, but I prefer to have my devices that fit my needs and my needs are:

- For quick and ultra portable: I have my iPhone 5 (don't like it any bigger, I even like the 3.5 screen better)

- For bigger screen and still ultra portable: I have my iPad mini

- For even bigger screen: I have my iPad

- For serious work AND still portable: I have my Macbook Air

- For taking over the world: I have my Mac Pro

I don't want a phone with 6.5, or 5.5, or 5.0, or related hybrid screen sizes that can't do the job as good as the 5 mentioned above. But that's just me. :D

TrollToddington

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I'm in for a 13" iPad. Perfect for musicians, it will replace the music sheets. There's definitely a market for this.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Choice is good. I'd love a larger screen iPhone but wouldn't need a 13" iPad.

There is definitely a market for both though.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
- For quick and ultra portable: I have my iPhone 5 (don't like it any bigger, I even like the 3.5 screen better)

- For bigger screen and still ultra portable: I have my iPad mini

- For even bigger screen: I have my iPad

- For serious work AND still portable: I have my Macbook Air

- For taking over the world: I have my Mac Pro

- For living your life ? ;)

Mindcrime

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2003
Houston, Texas

Here's why there won't be a 13" touchscreen MacAir :)

You need a counterweight embedded in the keyboard deck, otherwise every time you touch the touchscreen, you tip the notebook over. All current touchscreen notebooks have this counterweight.

The MacAir's z-height and internal configuration just don't make this feasible.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Larger screen iPhone?

Yes please.

Apple finally gets it. Multiple displays sizes for MacBook, for iPad...one sizes does not fit all.

Hopefully it'll happen this year.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I would like a slightly larger iPhone, anywhere from 4.3 to 4.5, but I don't think a 13" iPad will happen, at least not anytime soon.

The iPad was made to be "mobile" in ever sense. Now that they have the Mini they may be attempting to create a "stationary" iPad (please not the Maxi), but I think it would hinder its image as a pure "tablet."

Just my opinions, they don't count for much. :)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I'm already using an iPhone with 7.9" screen. It was an awesome upgrade coming from a 3.5" 3GS. I can't wait until this thing gets a Retina display though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.