Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phoneqs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2013
Long story short, Apple is saying my iPhone 4S has water damage but when and how is a mystery. A local repair guy put in a new connector port (there was a tiny bit of corrosion on a couple pins) but says there is still an issue with the motherboard that prevents the port from being recognized with a USB cable. The master reset he did allows the phone to charge with a cable through a wall plug, my PC, or even the dock on my stereo. However, the port does nothing else. My PC will not recognize the phone in any way (USB Device Not Recognized error) and my stereo does not recognize it either.

I am trying to see if there is any way to make my PC recognize the phone using Wi-Fi. I would like to transfer files using iTunes--music and audiobooks specifically. Or, is there a way to transfer iTunes files from iPhone to iPhone (I still have my old 3GS which I have been using while the 4S was being repaired)?

So far, anything I have found requires at least an initial hook up to the PC with a cable which is impossible. One app I did find (Bump) has been upgraded so that the current downloadable version no longer allows for the ability to transfer files with iTunes.

If no master rest had been done so my PC could recognize the phone, I might be okay. But without the master reset, it would only charge to 3%.

Are there any options out there for me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.