[iPad] iPad 3 vs. The iPad 5 (Should I) - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 22, 2013, 01:07 AM   #1
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

iPad 3 vs. The iPad 5 (Should I)

I currently have a 32GB Wi-Fi AT&T +4G that has worked very well for me since launch. Would it be worth it to upgrade to the iPad 5 (if that is what it will called)? I use my current iPad for fairly heavy web surfing and a decent amount of app usage. I have read various web posts on this forum that stated that the iPad 3 is considered by some to be the bastard child of the iPad family. I don't like to spend money on every latest iteration of some piece of tech, but if the leap in performance is significant enough, then I am interested. Will the new iPad (5) be worth the jump from the iPad 3? By the way, my old iPad 3 would have a good new home. My daughter would love to have it!
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

I have an iPad 3 too, and I don't need it to perform any better. What are you doing with your iPad that you are looking for a "leap in performance”?

What I do look forward to, however, is the expectation that the iPad 5 will be lighter. That, to me, is worth upgrading for.

And also, knowing Apple, they'd likely come up with some new feature that will be iPad 5 only...
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:02 AM   #3
sonicrobby
macrumors 65816

well wait for it first obviously no need to make a decision on a device that no one really knows about yet.

But it seems like personal preference. I would suggest holding out for the 6, because its unlikely the the 5 will get new features that may come in the iPhone 5S (such as the rumored "surprising" new fingerprint scanner).

As for performance, we must wait and see to compare. But I would consider a switch for myself if the iPad 5 looks like the iPad mini.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:03 PM   #4
28Gauge
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicrobby View Post
well wait for it first obviously no need to make a decision on a device that no one really knows about yet.

But it seems like personal preference. I would suggest holding out for the 6, because its unlikely the the 5 will get new features that may come in the iPhone 5S (such as the rumored "surprising" new fingerprint scanner).

As for performance, we must wait and see to compare. But I would consider a switch for myself if the iPad 5 looks like the iPad mini.
I considered waiting for the iPad 6, but I will just have to wait and see what the iPad 5 specs will be when it is announced.
Airport Extreme (5th Gen), Apple TV (3rd Gen)
28Gauge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:16 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

It's hard to compare what exists and what doesn't. I say but the iPad 3. Easier to use an iPad that exists.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 08:23 PM   #6
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Don't listen to what people say on this forum. Really quite irrelevant whether it is neglected or not (which it obv is but again irrelevant). If you like what you see with the new one and u dont mind spending the money, by all means get it. If you don't think the money is worth whatever the changes will be then don't get it. I should think an ipad would be good for 2-3 years performance and relevance wise if that helps.
appleisking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2013, 09:36 PM   #7
mncmoore
macrumors regular

I am debating this as well. I have a wifi only though and am going to get the ipad 5 in 128GB with Verizon. Hopefully it will have smaller bezels and lighter. But I agree, if you don't like it when they announce it then don't waste your money.
mncmoore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:38 AM   #8
smooth
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
Like previously stated, it's a personal preference. It seems like many folks like to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I also have an iPad 3, wifi only though, but it still runs beautifully. It is my first iPad and I highly doubt any new feature of any new iPad would make me upgrade. My concern is the iOS updates. I am pretty confident my iPad will run great with iOS 7. But will iOS 8 support my iPad? When that comes along, it will probably be the deciding factor for me. Assuming you sell your current iPad, is the difference in price between what you paid for it and what you received for it, worth the upgrade?
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:53 AM   #9
hakr100
macrumors 6502a

I sold my iPad III so I could invest those funds and buy the Virtual iPad X when it comes out next year.
hakr100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:23 PM   #10
mtneer
macrumors 6502a

Not to sound like Mr. Spock.....

Why not wait for the iPad 5 to materialize and then run price/ performance comparisons and come to a logical conclusion??
mtneer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Harp77
macrumors member

Hope you don't mind my 2 cents here:

I have never owned an Ipad or any Apple product, so for me I have nothing to compare it to. BUT, is getting an Ipad 3 a bad move? Would I be disappointed with it, compared to an Ipad 4?
Harp77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:16 AM   #12
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

The 3 is a fine device, but if you want to do demanding tasks the 4 is better.

I think a good way to look at it is that if it the iPad will replace a computer you do work on get the 4, but if its just an extra casual device get the 3 because you can't argue with the deals you'll find.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:16 AM   #13
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
Don't listen to what people say on this forum. Really quite irrelevant whether it is neglected or not (which it obv is but again irrelevant). If you like what you see with the new one and u dont mind spending the money, by all means get it. If you don't think the money is worth whatever the changes will be then don't get it. I should think an ipad would be good for 2-3 years performance and relevance wise if that helps.
What is neglected?
People, at least I am saying that it is hard to compare something we have today versus what we haven't yet seen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harp77 View Post
Hope you don't mind my 2 cents here:

I have never owned an Ipad or any Apple product, so for me I have nothing to compare it to. BUT, is getting an Ipad 3 a bad move? Would I be disappointed with it, compared to an Ipad 4?
Not really a bad move but I have found that the jump from the iPad 3 to 4 was actually noticeable. Not enough to make me long for an iPad 4, but still. If you're in the market and want to buy now, the 3 is great. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy, not concerned with the latest and greatest, and not needing it now to wait until the 5 comes out and pick up a 4 for cheaper.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Harp77
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
What is neglected?
People, at least I am saying that it is hard to compare something we have today versus what we haven't yet seen.
Not really a bad move but I have found that the jump from the iPad 3 to 4 was actually noticeable. Not enough to make me long for an iPad 4, but still. If you're in the market and want to buy now, the 3 is great. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy, not concerned with the latest and greatest, and not needing it now to wait until the 5 comes out and pick up a 4 for cheaper.
Maybe Apple refurb will not have any more 4's refurb though.....they were up, I battled with the decision and now they are n/a - just 3's.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #15
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Maybe Apple refurb will not have any more 4's refurb though.....they were up, I battled with the decision and now they are n/a - just 3's.
After the 5 is out there will be plenty of 4's.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:34 AM   #16
Harp77
macrumors member

I guess I just need patience. I don't need one asap but really makes studying alot easier than a ton of books spread all over my desk, that is for sure.

Might as well wait for the 4's to show on Apple refurb.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:38 AM   #17
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Why not buy a used one?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:42 AM   #18
Harp77
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Why not buy a used one?
Price - little strapped for cash and only really have enough for a refurb one from Apple.

...and I just noticed the Ipad 3 refurb 16g has now been removed from Apple's site lol!

Last edited by Harp77; Jul 24, 2013 at 09:59 AM. Reason: revision
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:46 AM   #19
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Price - little strapped for cash and only really have enough for a refurb one from Apple.
Shouldn't used iPads be cheaper than refurbs?
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:19 PM   #20
ggibson913
macrumors regular

I upgraded from the first iPad to the iPad 3 to get retina display and 4G. I think about it as I tend to buy evey other generation I am likely gonna skip unless they do something totally spectacular. The iPad 3 is capable of running any app in the App Store which means it will be good for awhile. It is already pretty much not worth much as they released the 4 so may as well hang on to it. I am tempted by the best buy trade in offer though to move from 3 to 4.

Last edited by ggibson913; Jul 24, 2013 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
ggibson913 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:03 PM   #21
HussamRaed
macrumors regular

I'm thinking of doing the same thing here, even though my upgrade would actually be from an iPad 2 to the 5 . I think it's totally worth it. My iPad is showing it's age by the day.
I say go for it, the new iPad according to the rumors should have a new design with a lighter form factor.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:42 PM   #22
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:

...and I just noticed the Ipad 3 refurb 16g has now been removed from Apple's site lol!
Used is usually less expensive, no tax for example, just ave them meet you at an apple store so you can have them check it out. Make sure the water sensors haven't been tripped.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:56 AM   #23
Woodcrest64
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Like previously stated, it's a personal preference. It seems like many folks like to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. I also have an iPad 3, wifi only though, but it still runs beautifully. It is my first iPad and I highly doubt any new feature of any new iPad would make me upgrade. My concern is the iOS updates. I am pretty confident my iPad will run great with iOS 7. But will iOS 8 support my iPad? When that comes along, it will probably be the deciding factor for me. Assuming you sell your current iPad, is the difference in price between what you paid for it and what you received for it, worth the upgrade?
I have the original iPad and I'm starting to get the itch to upgrade it only because it crashes now after upgrading to iOS 5 and now some apps are requiring iOS 6 which I can't upgrade to.

Though I'm going to see how much longer I can hold out for. I like to upgrade my computers every 4-5 years and was hoping to do that with my iPad.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Ladybug
macrumors 6502a

I have a 3 too, and I'm going to wait and see what the updates are before I decide. If its lighter I might upgrade...would really love more ram as well. Until Apple releases it we can't know if it will be worth it.

Thats the one thing about Apple that I hate. They never tell you whats in the works as far as hardware. I really wish they started making announcements on what they are working on even if they don't give a release date.
Ladybug is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:30 AM   #25
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Since the new iPad hasn't been announced it is impossible to say now whether or not you should upgrade to it. Wait until it is announced and then decide.
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad