Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ossyrial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 22, 2010
Hi all,
I built a new pc yesterday and am looking to download Windows 7 on it. The Windows 7 is illegal, as I have a Windows 8 upgrade lying around, however I don't want to pay for W7 as I've already paid for W8.
But, I dowloaded the .iso file and put in on a USB Drive, and am trying to find out a way to boot the .iso file onto my new pc.
I've tried quite a lot of things, however nothing seems to work.
Note: I am currently on a Mac, and this is the only OS I now have access to. Is there any way that this can work?

Thanks

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Sadly, it isn't possible to make a bootable USB for something other than Mac OS on Mac OS, due to its use of customized boot methods not present on non-Macs. The reverse is also true: A bootable OS X image cannot be created on a non-Mac either.

usefultutorial

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2013
Have you tried this ?

Hi all,
I built a new pc yesterday and am looking to download Windows 7 on it. The Windows 7 is illegal, as I have a Windows 8 upgrade lying around, however I don't want to pay for W7 as I've already paid for W8.
But, I dowloaded the .iso file and put in on a USB Drive, and am trying to find out a way to boot the .iso file onto my new pc.
I've tried quite a lot of things, however nothing seems to work.
Note: I am currently on a Mac, and this is the only OS I now have access to. Is there any way that this can work?

Thanks

Have you tried to make a multiboot USB flash drive ? I managed to boot from any of ISO's loaded into it. And you can also make the windows 8 ISO that you have to boot from.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
Microsoft makes their own tool to create a bootable Win7/Win8 disc.

Try searching for Windows 7 USB/DVD download tool.

Also, your Win7 software isn't illegal, using it without a paid for serial number would be illegal.
You paid for an upgrade from a paid version of Win7 to Win8, either way you should now have enough information to continue to Win8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.