Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Discuss the upcoming launch and launch day for the PS4. Games, accessories, deals, meet ups, etc.

Here's the comparison of next gen consoles:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart

Here's Sony's official page:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/

I was hoping to be able to hook it up to older TV's (my home theater setup is wired for Component). Initial specs had it as having an A/V Port like (same as) on the PS3.

I was looking at the specs and I see that the A/V Port has been taken off. Looks like they followed the Microsoft XBOne on this one having only HDMI (they kept the Optical Audio though). :(

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
The console has me excited!

Now I am waiting for games to excite me. Infamous and Watch Dogs have potential, but I don't see a true system seller yet.... How about it, Naughty Dog??

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I haven't got a preorder down and I'll probably miss out on launch day. I can't wait to see what Quantic Dream, Media Molecule come up with, and where they take Little Big Planet!

Definitely picking up a PS4 controller for my PC though!

Last edited:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I have two units ordered - one for the living room, another for the bedroom. Along with those two I have also ordered three more controllers and the camera.

For games, I'm down for:
- Assassins Creed: Black Flag
- Transistor
- Final Fantasy XV
- Kingdom Hearts III
- InFamous: Second Son
- Destiny
- Mirror's Edge 2
- Watch_Dogs

It'll be interesting to see which titles actually make launch day - currently it looks like only Assassins Creed and Watch_Dogs are confirmed for a launch release. I am however interested in The Division and The Order, possibly Knack and Metal Gear Solid V. Oh and Oddworld.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I have my pre-order down at my local Game store, looking forward to the midnight launch.
The console has me excited!

Now I am waiting for games to excite me. Infamous and Watch Dogs have potential, but I don't see a true system seller yet.... How about it, Naughty Dog??

Complete opposite for me, there's too many games that I want to play;
Driveclub
Destiny
Infamous
Killzone
Knack
Watchdogs
The Order 1886

I haven't got a preorder down and I'll probably miss out on launch day. I can't wait to see what Quantic Dream, Media Molecule come up with, and where they take Little Big Planet!

Definitely picking up a PS4 controller for my PC though!

Awwwhh come one man, you'll pick one up, imagine the build up the weeks before launch. Why not put down your pre-order and cancel if you change your mind. (If you're making this decision because of monetary reasons then fair enough)

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I already plopped down a €100 deposit :)

Will pick up Knack, infamous, Watchdogs, Killzone & possibly Assasins Creed on day 1.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Pre-ordered at Sony Online Store with a PS4 Eye. I haven't pre-ordered any games yet (they're still €69.99 [$92] (!)), but I will when more retailers start offering PS4 games - and when that happens, prices will shoot towards €49.99.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Pre-ordered at Sony Online Store with a PS4 Eye. I haven't pre-ordered any games yet (they're still €69.99 [$92] (!)), but I will when more retailers start offering PS4 games - and when that happens, prices will shoot towards €49.99.

I think it's also because Sony haven't set RRPs yet. Amazon in the UK are still showing their placeholder price disclaimer (£54.99) on all PS4 games, and the DualShock4 controllers. The only things with the 'right' price are the consoles themselves and the camera unit.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Awwwhh come one man, you'll pick one up, imagine the build up the weeks before launch. Why not put down your pre-order and cancel if you change your mind. (If you're making this decision because of monetary reasons then fair enough)

The lack of clarity on b/c and the amount of HDMI ports on my receiver are the problems :D
Are there any decent HDMI splitters out there? That would solve one problem!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
The lack of clarity on b/c and the amount of HDMI ports on my receiver are the problems :D
Are there any decent HDMI splitters out there? That would solve one problem!

B/C? There is none! The only thing that will work, some time in the future, is Galkai streaming of older games. Basically, keep your PS2 around.

HDMI splitters are pretty cheap these days. My parents use this one, which seems to do a good job for them.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
I preordered mine a long time ago. Like maybe a month. So not that long I guess. I'm excited. The choice between xbox and ps4 is always pretty easy. I love the playstation exclusives, and every generation has reaffirmed that belief. However I only sometimes like the xbox exclusives. I don't know what games I'll be getting at launch, but I know there are so many games I am looking forward to playing.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
B/C? There is none! The only thing that will work, some time in the future, is Galkai streaming of older games. Basically, keep your PS2 around.

Well what I want to know is how Gaikai will work. If I put in a PS3 disc will it load it up on Gaikai? Will there be a conversation for games like what iTunes does with music - pay a small fee per game to get the enhanced PS4 version?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Well what I want to know is how Gaikai will work. If I put in a PS3 disc will it load it up on Gaikai? Will there be a conversation for games like what iTunes does with music - pay a small fee per game to get the enhanced PS4 version?

Ahh - a good question. I don't think we'll get answers for a while either :(

gkarris

macrumors G3
Original poster
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah, I think Sony will be more worried about getting the PS4 to worldwide retailers and upgrading their PSN so that it is worth paying for.

We should see something eventually. Putting in a retail PS disc to play it streaming on PS4 is a great idea...

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
I wasn't going to get one at launch at first, but the price has me very tempted. The PS3 launched at $AU1000, the PS4 will launch at $AU550! Hopefully the PS4 version of MGS: TPP will be ready soon after launch.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
So is anyone actually excited about "Knack"?

When I first saw it, I thought it looked like a tech demo. "Look how many free floating fragments make up this character!" :rolleyes:

But seriously, as a new IP and launch title? I just don't see it...

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Must admit, I have zero interest in Knack currently. It might be because they simply haven't marketed it right, but it looks meh. I'll definitely wait for reviews on that one.

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Must admit, I have zero interest in Knack currently. It might be because they simply haven't marketed it right, but it looks meh. I'll definitely wait for reviews on that one.

It really hasn't been marketed at all. I doubt we will really see any real marketing until we get an official launch date.

From what I have seen so far, Knack is one of the games I am definitely interested in. Not being a big shooter guy, it's nice to see some non-FPS options. With that being said, I'm probably still going to get Killzone (it looks pretty darn good) and possibly Ghosts. Other games I have my eye on are Watchdogs, Infamous: SS, and Destiny.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

I'm interested in it but I don't know if I'd buy it. Reminds me of those PS1 era games where mascots just sprung out of nowhere (Gex, Spyro, Rayman). I hope this continues.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
I'm interested in it but I don't know if I'd buy it. Reminds me of those PS1 era games where mascots just sprung out of nowhere (Gex, Spyro, Rayman). I hope this continues.

Spot on, that's exactly what attracts me to it. The face that Mark Cerny is involved with Knack (and Spyro, one of my favourite games ever) makes me very excited.

----------

Also, looks like it could be a December 13th launch date here in UK;

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/possible-xbox-one-and-playstation-4-uk-release-dates

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I have mine pre ordered. I hope there is not such a long wait before gran turismo is available for it like there was with the ps3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.