Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster has released a new report covering the full June quarter Mac and iPod sales data from market research firm NPD.

According to the data, Apple's Mac sales came in down 5% year over year, despite the introduction of the newest Haswell-based MacBook Airs at this year's WWDC. During the same time period last year, Apple unveiled both upgraded MacBook Airs and the new Retina MacBook Pro, so it seems the lack of a refreshed MacBook Pro lineup may have impacted sales for the quarter.

mac_lineup_early2013.jpg
As with his previous reports, Munster notes that it remains difficult to extrapolate NPD data to Apple's global sales performance, but he views the June data as "neutral to slightly negative," down from slightly positive in a May report.
We note that we had expected an uptick in Mac sales in the month of June given updated Macbook Airs at WWDC; however, Mac units were [down] 12% y/y for the month of June according to NPD. Based on the differences between NPD data and Apple reported Mac sales over the past few quarters, we note it is becoming more difficult to draw conclusions from NPD data.
Munster stands by his belief that iPads will continue to cannibalize Mac sales and sticks with his prediction of 5% year over year decline in Mac sales for the June quarter. Macs are currently responsible for less than 15% of Apple's total revenue.

As for iPods, Munster's analysis of NPD data suggests that units are down 32% year over year, while the Piper Jaffray estimate suggests that sales are down 23% year over year on a global basis. However, as iPods only represent 2% of Apple's revenue, the overall impact of the sales decline is minor.

Article Link: U.S. Mac Sales Down in June Despite Introduction of New MacBook Airs

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
once the market is saturated with iPhones apple is kinda screwed ... just look at macs and iPods now. something better/new is gonna come along at some point and i hope its apple

i dont want them to pull a nokia

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
A lot of people, including myself, are waiting for update rMBPs.

Add to that the entire desktop line is outdated, and that doesn't help the Mac at all.

Plus most of the Mac software has been neglected for years.

Thankfully updates are coming and they started with Logic X which was great.

Cannot wait for a new iWork, however I have fears it'll be a crippled iOS version ported to the desktop.

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
I think its because everyone is holding out for the Haswell versions of the pros

Not likely.

Most people who drives these sales won't have any idea where the hardware is in it's lifecycle other than maybe how long it's been since it's last refresh.

EDIT: Eh, I'm rethinking myself. For the Mac Pro... yeah, that audience will be aware. For those purchasing products like the air, then yeah, I stick by my statement.

Clubber

macrumors member
May 29, 2009
I'm waiting on the MacBook Pros and the Mac Pro to be released and then determine if I want to buy. I have an Air from 2011 and it works just fine.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
New MacBook Air battery is killer.

Unless you need the Pro for performance, don't see why people are waiting.

Mac Sales down more likely due to overall shift to iPads and mobile. PC probably took a worse hit based on past years.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
A lot of people, including myself, are waiting for update rMBPs.

Add to that the entire desktop line is outdated, and that doesn't help the Mac at all.

Plus most of the Mac software has been neglected for years.

Thankfully updates are coming and they started with Logic X which was great.

Cannot wait for a new iWork, however I have fears it'll be a crippled iOS version ported to the desktop.

That's what I'm waiting for. That and the GigaBit WiFi and any other upgrade they may get.

Not likely.

Most people who drives these sales won't have any idea where the hardware is in it's lifecycle other than maybe how long it's been since it's last refresh.

For the consumer products maybe, but I think the pro line people are more aware of the internals.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I don't understand how it's illegal to use some information you know from inside the company to impact stock prices and your wallet, but if you are an analyst you can say what ever you want to impact the stock price and your own benefit.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I think it's simple.... Computer sales are bad across the board for the most part. Their lasting longer and it's just not needed to upgrade a computer all the time. Plus, I think many customers are moving to mobile computing which again is slowing desktop and laptop sales.

Apple needs to continue it's focus on iPhones and iPads to win and they need to give their current customers a good reason to upgrade their workstations and laptops... maybe that will come soon?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
once the market is saturated with iPhones apple is kinda screwed ... just look at macs and iPods now. something better/new is gonna come along at some point and i hope its apple

i dont want them to pull a nokia

I think that new thing is the iPad. It's the iPad that's cannibalizing Mac sales. How many people have more than one iPhone? I think we are going to see many people end up with more than one iPad.

In the long run the iPad will dwarf the iPhone.

TomMcIn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Canada
Incomplete Story

U.S. Mac Sales Down in June Despite Introduction of New MacBook Airs emphasizes the Mac problem. What were the sales like for the non Mac companies? Balance is important.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Everything except the MBA appears to be near to an update. That must be having an effect.

There may or may not be a downward trend in Mac sales, but these figures are too influenced by product cycles to be an indicator.

maelstromr

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
I don't understand how it's illegal to use some information you know from inside the company to impact stock prices and your wallet, but if you are an analyst you can say what ever you want to impact the stock price and your own benefit.

Aside from the ethical implications, if you did it maliciously without justification, which could mean many things like no research, no backing data, contrary to the truth, etc, you could get hit with a civil suit like libel or other grounds for that kind of manipulation. That assumes your "victim" could prove it, including how the statements caused damage. There's a lot of deference to free press, but that doesn't necessarily include a blanket safety net for any behavior on anyone who gets to a computer and the internet's part.

To be clear, I don't think we're anywhere near that point here. At worst this is an interpretation of facts that reflects poorly on Apple in a plausible, if not particularly solid manner.

There is simply no need to buy new Macs. I use my iPhone and iPad for majority of things, and my 2007 Macbook is still alive and kicking for writing papers and things.

I've been "about to upgrade" my Macbook for 2 and a half years. But you know what happened 2 and a half years ago? I got an iPad. There's just no need... Although as my macbook becomes continuously more obsolete (I'm stuck on Lion), I'll be itching to buy to get the latest software...

maelstromr

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2002
Charlottesville, VA
There is simply no need to buy new Macs. I use my iPhone and iPad for majority of things, and my 2007 Macbook is still alive and kicking for writing papers and things.

I've been "about to upgrade" my Macbook for 2 and a half years. But you know what happened 2 and a half years ago? I got an iPad. There's just no need... Although as my macbook becomes continuously more obsolete (I'm stuck on Lion), I'll be itching to buy to get the latest software...

I think this really is the core of the issue outside the pro laptop and desktop consumers. The pro numbers reflect the lack of updates.

chadley_chad

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2004
Nottingham, UK
Apple have done well, but they've taken their eye off the ball, become too complacent, resting on their laurels, and now the competitors have struck back; and as apple fans try other products (like the better HTC One or S4) people are no longer brainwashed and are starting to realise there are other (sometimes better) choices. That's what happens when you become complacent Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.