Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:34 PM   #1
MacsomJRR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to MacsomJRR
Editing video located on an external HD in iMovie?

Is it possible to edit HD movie files located on an external HD without importing them onto my computer? I'm using a MBA with limited HD space. My external is quite a bit larger and is connected via a thunderbolt cable. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
MacsomJRR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Yes, that's the recommended way as it prevents excess wear and tear and your internal drive due to the constant read/write activity during the editing process.

When you import into iMovie(don't know about Final Cut etc, but they should have a similar option), choose to save the Event to your external drive.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:45 AM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsomJRR View Post
Is it possible to edit HD movie files located on an external HD without importing them onto my computer? I'm using a MBA with limited HD space. My external is quite a bit larger and is connected via a thunderbolt cable. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

It will work fine on the external drive. But if the internal drive os FLASH then it will work faster on the internal drive. Then later after you are done move everything off to make more room

In the days before FLASH drives everyone had to put the video on an external because it was faster,
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Tags
external hard drive, hd video, imovie, macbook air 2012, thunderbolt