Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According the Podcasts section of the iTunes Store, Apple has just hit a milestone of one billion Podcast subscriptions. Originally introduced in 2005, Podcasts allow both individuals and major companies to broadcast episodic radio-style shows. Apple offers thousands of different Podcasts that are available via iTunes or its Podcasts iOS app [App Store].

1billionsubscriber.jpg
In honor of the one billion milestone, Apple has highlighted a number of its most popular podcasts over the years in a new iTunes section which offers up a number of classic Podcasts alongside New and Noteworthy content.

From comedy to hard new to sports to innovative educational content and so much more, podcasting has transformed the global media landscape. Podcasts on iTunes launched in the summer of 2005 and since then, we've seen countless episodes downloaded and streamed. But the heart of podcasting is finding your favorite voices in this exciting field and subscribing to the best ones. To celebrate reaching 1 billion podcast subscribers, we're highlighting some of the most popular podcasts of all time, as well as a collection of captivating new shows.
Apple told Macworldhttp://www.macworld.com/article/204...tunes-podcast-subscriptions-and-counting.html that its billion subscriptions are spread across 250,000 unique podcasts in more than 100 languages, with more than eight million episodes published to date.

The new celebratory section includes popular Podcasts like This American Life, TEDTalks, 60 Minutes, and Happy Tree Friends, among others.

Article Link: Apple Reaches Podcasting Milestone with 1 Billion Subscriptions

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Woah, it took THIS long?! I remember when podcasts were the thing, and it was so COOL when you could start doing chapters and all that nice stuff in them.

I don't think they're as big as they were a few years ago. I still download them, but they were bigger before smartphone were.

Garrod

Suspended
Nov 13, 2008
UK
Are Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Karl Pilkington being recognised as part of this? :)

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
Wonder how long Apple will have really any degree of enthusiasm for pod casting considering (as far as I know) they don't make any money from it.

WisdomSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Unfortunately or me,

My favorite podcast seems to have disappeared in the last few months. There is on longer any 'Most Emailed Stories' from NPR. Having stories from 'All Things Considered' and 'Morning Edition' were much, much better than trying to stream them through the app. Also they no longer offer 'Breakin it Down' movie reviews, but I find Film State a very good replacement.

But what I liked about the NPR Podcasts is that there were new podcasts everyday, great for the commute.

Sigh....

WisdomSeed

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Woah, it took THIS long?! I remember when podcasts were the thing, and it was so COOL when you could start doing chapters and all that nice stuff in them.

I don't think they're as big as they were a few years ago. I still download them, but they were bigger before smartphone were.

It only stands to reason, there are six iPhones in my family and I am the only one who enjoys podcasts. As a matter of fact, I haven't been able to get anyone to even adventure towards them. Youtube kinda gets in the way.

Zyphras

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Podcasts. For some things it's pretty 2005-y with the advent of YouTube. But for "pure radio" such as news/current affairs and the likes Marc Maron, it's still a pretty great phenomenon though.

lherman

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2009
"1 billion"

along the lines of the 1 billion subscriptions not subscribers, the article also says that users have subscribed to 1 billion podcasts. i don't think there are that many podcasts! i know it's semantic :)

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
If iTunes were web based, and if it did a better job of suggesting other radio shows you might like, it would be 5 billion. No one is burning CD's or plugging their iphone in any more. But Apple does what they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.