Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Has anyone else encountered a phenomenon in iOS 7 beta where adding more than two web clips to the home screen causes them to shift names/icons, sort of like musical chairs? and if one were to to click one of these shifted icons, he/she would suffer the most horrific crash (screen goes black, can't reboot phone because siri keeps activating). happened to me twice, once in beta 1 (stopped using web clips entirely); tried again with beta 3, same thing.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
What do you mean by "web clips" and can you give an example? I mean is it a YouTube video (which would open the app), a .mov or .mp4 video direct link, or what? Or is it just any web shortcut placed on your home screen?

This certainly does sound bizarre.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Think the word 'horrific' is a bit much.

It's probably a bug with the beta that hasn't yet been fixed. I keep getting black screens from time to time and only a hard restart will bring the phone back on.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
Has anyone else encountered a phenomenon in iOS 7 beta where adding more than two web clips to the home screen causes them to shift names/icons, sort of like musical chairs? and if one were to to click one of these shifted icons, he/she would suffer the most horrific crash (screen goes black, can't reboot phone because siri keeps activating). happened to me twice, once in beta 1 (stopped using web clips entirely); tried again with beta 3, same thing.

I have 3 Web Clips I made in iCU and not suffered this problem at all. I'm on beta 3 with 5th Gen iPod touch.

macrumorschamp

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
Welcome to beta!

These type of comments are not welcome and are frankly, quite tiresome. They are not amusing, they are annoying. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

That said, I tried creating more than two web clips when I was on beta 1, but I haven't tried it again, because of the mess it caused.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
What do you mean by "web clips" and can you give an example? I mean is it a YouTube video (which would open the app), a .mov or .mp4 video direct link, or what? Or is it just any web shortcut placed on your home screen?

This certainly does sound bizarre.

Web Clip = web app / web site saved to home screen

----------

Welcome to beta!

I assume at this point this sort of comment is meant facetiously, like 'I can tell because of the pixels' or 'that's what she said', or am I giving poster too much credit?

ominx

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I assume at this point this sort of comment is meant facetiously, like 'I can tell because of the pixels' or 'that's what she said', or am I giving poster too much credit?

Not sure, but in regards to web clips, Safari does seem snappier.

;)

... but to answer your post, no crashes here.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
These type of comments are not welcome and are frankly, quite tiresome. They are not amusing, they are annoying. If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all.

That said, I tried creating more than two web clips when I was on beta 1, but I haven't tried it again, because of the mess it caused.

Might not be helpful for people to just say things like that, but the problems with Web Clips are documented in the Release Notes.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Might not be helpful for people to just say things like that, but the problems with Web Clips are documented in the Release Notes.

Source, please? A link, or citation (or both!) would be very helpful.

If you could apply your talent for thorough reading to your communication as well, it would benefit all of us. Otherwise, it just sounds condescending.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008

Non-developers coming here to tell us about the "horrific bugs" in iOS 7 is also quite tiresome, and not constructive because Apple is not reading this forum.

Apple's bug reporter is working now, this is where iOS 7 bugs should be reported.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Non-developers coming here to tell us about the "horrific bugs" in iOS 7 is also quite tiresome, and not constructive because Apple is not reading this forum.

Apple's bug reporter is working now, this is where iOS 7 bugs should be reported.

Non-developers? Out of curiosity, what are you working on? Oh yeah. Nothing! BTW, been developing for Apple platforms since 1986, before you were even a gleam in your daddy's eye. And people, don't believe for a second that Apple doesn't employ an entire team to scour tech forums—they're like bug reporters for right-brained people. You know, the types who are able to articulate their opinions with nuance and abstraction?

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Non-developers? Out of curiosity, what are you working on? Oh yeah. Nothing! BTW, been developing for Apple platforms since 1986, before you were even a gleam in your daddy's eye. And people, don't believe for a second that Apple doesn't employ an entire team to scour tech forums—they're like bug reporters for right-brained people. You know, the types who are able to articulate their opinions with nuance and abstraction?

Wow, I thought in retrospect that my post may have been condescending and presumptuous, but your reply is a magnitude worse than that. Are you trying to demonstrate that being condescending is bad by being over the top like this or is this a serious reply?

Last edited:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

I understand what you're saying, and you're right. The most important place to talk about bugs is in the bug reporter. But I don't think the people that discuss and report bugs on this forum have any illusion that this is a good way to reach Apple. It's just water cooler talk to a certain degree, a "you share your bugs and I'll share mine" kind of thing.

The people that truly understand what a beta is don't actually complain about the bugs even if they do talk about them here. Sometimes it seems like people are whining about the bugs when in reality they're just trying to convey the scope of the issue.

All this talk about bugs and missing features and whatnot is pretty much meaningless, but for those who partake in it, there's a degree of fun involved in it. I personally enjoy using beta versions of iOS because it makes me appreciate the finished product so much more. I know what I'm getting myself into, and I know it's my fault if something bad happens to my data or my device. If only *everybody* using iOS 7 now could understand that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I understand what you're saying, and you're right. The most important place to talk about bugs is in the bug reporter. But I don't think the people that discuss and report bugs on this forum have any illusion that this is a good way to reach Apple. It's just water cooler talk to a certain degree, a "you share your bugs and I'll share mine" kind of thing.

The people that truly understand what a beta is don't actually complain about the bugs even if they do talk about them here. Sometimes it seems like people are whining about the bugs when in reality they're just trying to convey the scope of the issue.

All this talk about bugs and missing features and whatnot is pretty much meaningless, but for those who partake in it, there's a degree of fun involved in it. I personally enjoy using beta versions of iOS because it makes me appreciate the finished product so much more. I know what I'm getting myself into, and I know it's my fault if something bad happens to my data or my device. If only *everybody* using iOS 7 now could understand that!

I got really annoyed with another thread started by someone who is really clueless about development and somehow thought that his thread would warn Apple about a pretty major bug that will obviously fixed, with or without his whining.

I realize now that this thread is different and that the OP is serious and simply wanted to share his/her experience with this bug. I came to this thread having been overly irritated by this other guy, hence my condescending and presumptuous post.

Anyway cleo1, sorry if I insulted/offended you. Can we be friends now? :)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
iOS 7 betas 1-3: web clips causing horrific crashes

I got really annoyed with another thread started by someone who is really clueless about development and somehow thought that his thread would warn Apple about a pretty major bug that will obviously fixed, with or without his whining.

I realize now that this thread is different and that the OP is serious and simply wanted to share his/her experience with this bug. I came to this thread having been overly irritated by this other guy, hence my condescending and presumptuous post.

Anyway cleo1, sorry if I insulted/offended you. Can we be friends now? :)

Why can't every person on the internet be like you?

Seriously, mad props for the way you gracefully handled this. Not something I see very much around here, myself included.

But yeah, I definitely understand your frustration towards people that have iOS 7 on their device and have no earthly idea what they're doing. That gets really old, really fast.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Wow, I thought in retrospect that my post may have been condescending and presumptuous, but your reply is a magnitude worse than that. Are you trying to demonstrate that being condescending is bad by being over the top like this or is this a serious reply?

Touché!

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Source, please? A link, or citation (or both!) would be very helpful.

If you could apply your talent for thorough reading to your communication as well, it would benefit all of us. Otherwise, it just sounds condescending.

If you were a developer, you'd know why I couldn't do that.

I'm not being condescending.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
If you were a developer, you'd know why I couldn't do that.

I'm not being condescending.

Actually, you could include a link. Registered developers would be able to access it whereas non-registered developers would be blocked. I know this because a. I am an Apple developer, and b. I am a developer of html5 web apps which is why issues such as web clips are important to me, and also why I know about things such as secure html, which if you were a developer, you would know about as well.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Actually, you could include a link. Registered developers would be able to access it whereas non-registered developers would be blocked. I know this because a. I am an Apple developer, and b. I am a developer of html5 web apps which is why issues such as web clips are important to me, and also why I know about things such as secure html, which if you were a developer, you would know about as well.
The notes are often just published on various tech news sites anyway: http://bgr.com/2013/07/08/ios-7-beta-3-change-log/ (although it seems that the only thing related to web clips specifically says "Springboard crashes when accessing some web clips in the App Switcher." which doesn't exactly sound like what's described here).

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK

You assumed I was talking about a technical restriction!

I find it hard to believe you're a developer if you can't find the release notes, they're two clicks from the main iOS Development Center page.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
You assumed I was talking about a technical restriction!

I find it hard to believe you're a developer if you can't find the release notes, they're two clicks from the main iOS Development Center page.

I figured that as long as you're going through the trouble of being so thorough, eliminate a bit of redundancy for the rest of us and automate the task—otherwise I doubt you're actually trying to be helpful. But I guess you weren't actually that thorough to begin with—as another user has already pointed out, the release notes did not even come close to mentioning this topic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.