Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung is set to reveal the Samsung Gear smart watch at the same time in September as the Galaxy Note 3 -- beating both Apple's iWatch and the new iPhone too.

Samsung could be so close to launching the hotly-tipped wrist-worn smart device, it'll beat not just Apple's rumoured smart watch but could even nip in ahead of the next iPhone, expected to be both an iPhone 5S and a cheaper, plastic version.

Samsung has unveiled each generation of Note phablet in September, at annual technology trade show IFA in Berlin. We're expecting that to continue with the Note 3 this year, with Patently Apple reporting the Samsung smart watch will arrive at the same time. The small screen of the watch will run a modified version of Android as the watch talks to the Galaxy phone in your pocket, giving you notifications so you don't have to fetch your phone from your pocket all the time.

The buzz around smart watches is mostly driven by rumours that Apple will launch such a device. But the latest whispers suggest the so-called iWatch isn't set to arrive until late 2014, giving rivals a massive head start. Heck, they've been making them for years: the latest is the Sony Smartwatch 2, announced just last month.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/samsung-galaxy-note-3-and-smart-watch-due-september-50011776/

would be tempted by the watch...

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I don't trust Samsung to do accessories right after the S Pebble. I can see their watch being pretty ugly looking if they continue the plastic approach.

But it'd be cool to see CyanogenMod running on it. :D

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
I was going to pick up a Pebble Smartwatch soon, but if this Galaxy one comes out, I'll wait a few months.

lhkjohn

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2013
Really waiting to see what the note 3 brings. After using the Note 2, I really can't see myself going to a smaller screen. My wife's S4 even looks super small in comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.