Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:06 AM   #1
PixelWolf
macrumors newbie

How can I wirelessly mirror my iMac to 3 different displays?

I work at a school and they have digital picture frames set up on 3 floors that just run a slide show of images stored on the attached USB drives, but they are horrible quality and one just broke. I'm trying to find a solution that will allow me to replace these digital picture frames with monitors that can be placed on each floor and all be running the same slide show mirrored from one computer, wirelessly.

At first I thought maybe just get apple TV boxes and use airplay to mirror the iMac, but I there has to be a better way, designed specifically for that purpose. Plus, I'm not so sure you can mirror one mac on multiple Apple TVs.

What is the best solution?
PixelWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

as long as you don't care if they're in sync, you can just use the built in slide show on each aTV, and share the photo library on your mac.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
PixelWolf
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
as long as you don't care if they're in sync, you can just use the built in slide show on each aTV, and share the photo library on your mac.
I've posted this question in about 5 different locations, and received all kinds of answers, most of which wouldn't work. Of course it's the simplest answer that makes sense.

I don't really care if they're in sync with each other, I just want to be able to control the media from one central point, rather than having to run around changing out USBs across three floors. So, three Apple TV boxes could all access the same media at the same time? Also can they mix video files with photos in the same slide show?
PixelWolf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
itryanditry
macrumors member

The Apple TVs could access the same shared iPhoto library. You also have the option of using Photo Stream or Flickr on the Apple TV so you don't need to have a computer turned on mirroring - just a slideshow you're pulling from the cloud.

As far as videos, this solution wouldn't really lend to that. We'd have to get a little more creative if you wanted videos.
itryanditry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:18 PM   #5
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Can't you arrange for a single Apple TV and split it's HDMI signal to 3 monitors?
I know of no way to make a single computer to select simultaneously several AirPlay targets for video display. That seems to be only possible for audio streaming.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by priitv8 View Post
Can't you arrange for a single Apple TV and split it's HDMI signal to 3 monitors?
that would require wires between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelWolf View Post
I don't really care if they're in sync with each other, I just want to be able to control the media from one central point, rather than having to run around changing out USBs across three floors. So, three Apple TV boxes could all access the same media at the same time? Also can they mix video files with photos in the same slide show?
once you get them all set up, i would put some tape over the IR sensor, and use the remote app on the iPhone to control them (you'll need to have them all signed into the same home sharing account. It'll keep people from messing with them.

-----------

another option would be a rasberry pi.
that would require a little more geek knowledge though.
here is a guy who set one up as a photo frame (but no videos).

and a program for the Pi (Pi presents) that looks like it does exaclty what you want (videos and pictures)
discussion about it here
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 04:08 AM   #7
priitv8
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
that would require wires between.
There seem to be wireless HDMI extenders available, but I'm not sure yet, if or how they can be deployed in a one-to-many setup.
priitv8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater