Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App, Possibly Laying Groundwork for Future Free Content Releases

Apple has released an updated version of its Apple Store app for the iPhone, which is said to include both performance enhancements and improved product search capabilities. The Apple Store app allows users to purchase Apple products quickly and efficiently on their iPhones.

News of an upgrade first came to light last week, with a report that suggested Apple would begin offering free downloads within the App, including content from Apple's iTunes Store, App Store, and iBookstore.

While the app appears to be the same on the surface, it is entirely possible that Apple has included the framework that will support the addition of new deals and offerings within the app in the near future. 9to5Mac suggests the possibility that free content may only be shown when a customer is inside a brick-and-mortar Apple Store.

Apple is said to be overhauling the app as part of its incentivization efforts designed to increase its number of in-store iPhone sales. According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, iPhones are an important "gateway product" that lead customers to purchase other Apple products.

At the current point in time, only a small percentage of iPhones are sold in Apple Stores, with the majority of sales coming from third party locations like carrier stores and electronics retailers. By offering free content in its Apple Store app, Apple can draw customers in to view and purchase additional Apple devices.

In an effort to increase iPhone sales Apple has begun including the iPhone in its annual Back to School program, allowing eligible education customers to receive a $50 gift card that can be used to purchase music, books, or apps.

Apple is also planning to implement a new iPhone trade-in program, which is designed to encourage users to upgrade to the latest models by offering a credit for used devices.

The Apple Store app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Update: Apple has pushed a second update to its Apple Store app, bringing it to version 2.7.1. The release notes continue to point to improved search capabilities and performance enhancements, so it is unclear why the app has been updated again.

Article Link: Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App, Possibly Laying Groundwork for Future Free Content Releases
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

Cool! Now give us an iPad version.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
Aussi3
macrumors member

Where is the iPad version!!
Aussi3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:37 PM   #4
DannyT2011
macrumors newbie

You can now log into your account whilst on iOS 7
DannyT2011 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:37 PM   #5
decimortis
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussi3 View Post
Nevermind that. Where's the Android version?

D.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Aussi3
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decimortis View Post

D.
they will probably bring that out before iPad version!
Aussi3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
jackwagen0

Quote:
Apple is also planning to implement a new iPhone trade-in program, which is designed to encourage users to upgrade to the latest models by offering a credit for used devices.
Anybody else really excited to see what happens with this? I imagine Apple might be able to pay more than Gazelle and the like.
jackwagen0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:43 PM   #8
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
Cool! Now give us an iPad version.
Seriously, how hard can this be?!? At least iOS 7 will use retina images to improve iPhone apps on iPad, but it would still be great to have a native iPad app.
dannyyankou is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwagen0 View Post
anybody else really excited to see what happens with this? I imagine apple might be able to pay more than gazelle and the like.
Yeah, right.
macsrcool1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:47 PM   #10
Jack97
macrumors regular

They need a new, "flat" icon
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
I'd be fine with the iPhone version if it rotated. I almost never have my iPad in portrait.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:53 PM   #12
jackwagen0

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsrcool1234 View Post
Yeah, right.
Instead of just dismissing my comment why don't you say why? I mean they make the phone. What stops them from giving customers more when it comes time for trading in, especially if they're selling another phone of theirs?
jackwagen0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 02:59 PM   #13
diddl14
macrumors 6502

The "direct link" at the bottom of the article seems to link to the Apple Remote App in iTunes?
diddl14 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:07 PM   #14
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack97 View Post
They need a new, "flat" icon
lol...not until they can publish using the iOS 7 sdk....
ghostface147 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:07 PM   #15
diddl14
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Instead of just dismissing my comment why don't you say why? I mean they make the phone. What stops them from giving customers more when it comes time for trading in, especially if they're selling another phone of theirs?
why?
diddl14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:08 PM   #16
jmh600cbr
macrumors regular

Quote:
What's stopping them is the fact that they don't need to do it. Gazelle is a corporation that is designed for the soul purpose of obtaining people's used cell phones and redistributing them. What you are correct about is that Apple does have more capital and SHOULD be less interested in profit margins for the trade in program. What is important is that Apple will need less marketing to steal customers from Gazelle and other like companies. Remember, this is marketing, not a real way to help customers.
jmh600cbr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:28 PM   #17
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
9to5Mac suggests the possibility that free content may only be shown when a customer is inside a brick-and-mortar Apple Store
Then get thee to an Apple Store and tell us what happens!
ctdonath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 03:40 PM   #18
Tha Professor
macrumors regular

Very in line with Cook's goal of selling more through Apple Stores.
Tha Professor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:15 PM   #19
iBungie
macrumors member

Have updated the app but can no longer access the store - getting an error message saying the store is momentarily unavailable
iBungie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:02 PM   #20
Shaun, UK
macrumors 68000

If they want to sell more iPhones in store they need to either offer better deals or offer something exclusive to in-store sales like a free extended warranty or something.
Shaun, UK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:03 AM   #21
PhamQu
macrumors newbie

Call me clueless, but how do I update the App Store app? My devices are jailbroken, will that affect anything?
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P, 16gb RAM, Dual 2gb 750m Nvidia graphics
PhamQu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:03 AM   #22
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
.....At the current point in time, only a small percentage of iPhones are sold in Apple Stores, with the majority of sales coming from third party locations like carrier stores and electronics retailers. By offering free content in its Apple Store app, Apple can draw customers in to view and purchase additional Apple devices.....

Article Link: Apple Updates 'Apple Store' iOS App, Possibly Laying Groundwork for Future Free Content Releases
Sounds good on paper, but how many people are going to know about that, and how many people don't live anywhere near an APPLE store. It would depend a lot on the value of the free content, whether people are going to be bothered to go miles out of their way for this.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 07:42 AM   #23
Todd B.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by decimortis View Post

D.
Honestly, given what Tim said earlier, I can see a slate of Android apps as part of the fall stuff they've been talking about.
Todd B. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:56 AM   #24
DFZD
macrumors regular

Quote:
They think it's not worth it and defeats the purpose of having an iPad, since iPad is primarily is a mobile-surfing-laptop-alternative device.

22 iMac Late 2011, 13 Macbook Pro Early 2011, iPad Air, iPod touch 5G. Sony Xperia M.
DFZD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion