Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Awarded Patent That Lets Users Share Content With Others While on Hold

Apple was awarded a U.S. patent on Tuesday that appears to covers a way for iPhone users to share content with each other when phone calls are placed on hold.

The patent, number 8,494,123, is for an "on-hold visual menu from a user's communication device" and describes a system that shares a variety of content like pictures, music, videos, upcoming calendar events, and location information to the person that is being put on hold. For example, someone put on hold could look through the other caller's public Photo Stream.

Quote:
The device determines that the party has been placed on hold and that the user has enabled sharing of personal content with the party. The device then transmits a visual menu to a communications device of the party via a data network, to allow the party to select a type of personal content to receive from the device while the party is on hold. When the device receives a selection from the party's device indicating the type of personal content, it transmits a personal information asset to the party's device according to the type of personal content indicated by the selection. Other embodiments are also described and claimed.
Additionally, privacy settings allow certain types of data, such as location or photos, to be limited within a specific group of people (for example, family members) while automatically sharing other content with all users placed on hold. Content can also be personalized to each specific caller.

When an iPhone owner is ready to continue a call, an on screen message, audible tone, or vibration will occur, alerting the on-hold user that the call will be resumed.

As with all Apple patents, there is no guarantee that the on-hold sharing feature will make it into a final product.

Article Link: Apple Awarded Patent That Lets Users Share Content With Others While on Hold
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:18 PM   #2
AppleGuesser
macrumors regular

I just peed a little?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:19 PM   #3
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502

This needs to be added to iOS 7. Awesome feature that would be very helpful for when you need to put someone on hold and don't want them to hang up.
iPhoneApple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Zodiac.mj
macrumors member

Oh my god, patents are the most stupid thing on earth. I don't know how you can breath easily in US - there is no patent for TAKING A BREATH? You're not paying, so you can't use that feature...
Zodiac.mj is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:23 PM   #5
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac.mj View Post
Oh my god, patents are the most stupid thing on earth. I don't know how you can breath easily in US - there is no patent for TAKING A BREATH? You're not paying, so you can't use that feature...
Just my guess but I'm thinking that the patent is for the way the feature is implemented, not the actual idea itself. I'm sure every cell company has thought of this.
HenryDJP is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:29 PM   #6
samcraig
macrumors G5

You know what else works. Having patience until the party can resume the call. Or call back.

Also I've heard that iMessage, WhatsApp, Email and other such apps can send pictures, video, audio, etc while you're not only on hold - but during the call as well. AMAZING!
samcraig is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:31 PM   #7
chumawumba
Banned

But wouldn't it use your cellular data?
chumawumba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Porco
macrumors 68000

This makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a pencil… brb,

agghghghhhh... Yhar wss a misrake! Stipod patemwts!

Last edited by Porco; Jul 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM.
Porco is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:50 PM   #9
HabSonic
macrumors regular

Magical.
HabSonic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
needfx
macrumors 68020

they should work first on making simultaneous use of calls & internet tethering more stable
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:58 PM   #11
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

Well

I'm sure that it will be a wonderful feature they will get sued over yet again because Samsung....I mean some patent troll will claim they did it first.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:59 PM   #12
donutbagel
Banned

Since they're going into the home and office phone system here... why not give the AirPort Express the ability to plug into a landline with a regular phone jack and give the iPhone/iPod/iPad an AirPlay-facilitated phone connection at home or in the office?

Oh yeah, and if we can do this while putting others on hold, why not let us do it over Facetime?

Last edited by donutbagel; Jul 23, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
donutbagel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #13
donutbagel
Banned

Bob Smith, who are you, and what have you done with John Appleseed?
donutbagel is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:33 PM   #14
lighthouse_man
macrumors 6502a

When someone puts me on a hold, I'm expecting to have to wait less than 30 seconds before hanging up. If someone starts streaming a picture slideshow or a video to me, I'm probably hanging up as soon as it starts.
lighthouse_man is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:36 PM   #15
macUser2007
macrumors 65816

Why is this "patent" awarded?

The USPTO is basically a joke nowadays, filled with little nerds who couldn't get a high paying job out of school, so they try to curry favors by approving such nonsense in the hope that after a few of these approvals they can make the jump to a corporation like Apple.

And yes, "patents" like this (many would actually fail in court) are stifling innovation and Apple has become one of the worst patent trolls.
macUser2007 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:52 PM   #16
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Translation:

"Samsung and Apple prepare for next patent suit"
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:06 PM   #17
winston1236
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Exactly! They ruin progress
winston1236 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:06 PM   #18
bobenhaus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple was awarded a U.S. patent on Tuesday that appears to covers a way for iPhone users to share content with each other when phone calls are placed on hold.

The patent, number 8,494,123, is for an "on-hold visual menu from a user's communication device" and describes a system that shares a variety of content like pictures, music, videos, upcoming calendar events, and location information to the person that is being put on hold. For example, someone put on hold could look through the other caller's public Photo Stream.

Additionally, privacy settings allow certain types of data, such as location or photos, to be limited within a specific group of people (for example, family members) while automatically sharing other content with all users placed on hold. Content can also be personalized to each specific caller.

When an iPhone owner is ready to continue a call, an on screen message, audible tone, or vibration will occur, alerting the on-hold user that the call will be resumed.

As with all Apple patents, there is no guarantee that the on-hold sharing feature will make it into a final product.

Article Link: Apple Awarded Patent That Lets Users Share Content With Others While on Hold
Umm dont smart phones already have the abilities to share data/pics etc.. when in a phone conversation on hold or not? Whats the big deal?
bobenhaus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:25 PM   #19
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston1236 View Post
Exactly! They ruin progress
More like protect ideas from being stolen from someone else...
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:26 PM   #20
FireWall0400
macrumors newbie

This is awesome, now when your talking, driving, and texting and the person puts you on hold, you can now scroll thru their pictures... Have we really become that impatient that we need to be entertained while on hold, and who really puts anyone on hold anymore.
FireWall0400 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:56 PM   #21
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Content sharing while on hold is a pretty specific idea and is one that isn't implemented anywhere right now. Sounds like a pretty legit patent to me.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:12 PM   #22
0x0x0x0
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post
Content sharing while on hold is a pretty specific idea and is one that isn't implemented anywhere right now. Sounds like a pretty legit patent to me.
Really? I've got a Lumia 920, I can put someone on hold and send whatever to them (or anyone else for that matter) by MMS. Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure my old N95 could do it too... There's absolutely no innovative step here so far as I can see...
0x0x0x0 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
mwebb
macrumors member

This is awfully trivial to patent. In hindsight, it was pretty trivial to bar MS from using Windows based on Apple getting there first with the Mac. I mean imagine if English had been the first and only language in the garden of eden and French got banned as a patent infringement? Apple should get market share for putting everything together in the best possible way on the best possible hardware, not because they are blocking everybody else from doing stuff that seems pretty obvious once you hear about it. And yeah, Apple is far from the worst offender - the worst being patent trolls.

I am also feeling less and less sorry for Apple in the vs. Samsung case. For all of Samsung's obvious "copying" their products still won't be confused with Apples and can't hold a candle to them. So Apple doesn't have the 80% market share they crave - get over it.
mwebb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:18 PM   #24
0x0x0x0
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
I mean imagine if English had been the first and only language in the garden of eden and French got banned as a patent infringement?
You might find it hard to believe, but something similar was just recently litigated in England in SAS v WPL.
0x0x0x0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 09:19 PM   #25
koban4max
macrumors 65816

nothing new...samsung could do that and plus share pictures or music by having two phones touch each other.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion