Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Desmo2wheels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2013
Hi MacRumors Members,

I just have a concern I am hoping someone can help me with. I recently purchased a 2013 MBA i7 with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD. At the moment I am without my Mac Pro and needed to process some moderate video work. I recorded about 2 hours of 1080p movie footage and used iMovie to process the work. The import from my Canon camera took over 1.5 hours and filled up about 75% of my SSD. During the import the the CPU for iMovie was running at 300% and fans at full speed.

My questions are:

1. Is there any harm that could be done or has been done to my MBA by processing videos in iMovie at 1 hour of full CPU utilization with fans running at max speed?

2. Is there any cause for concern to just be using my MBA as a conduit to process the video on my SSD by filling it up 75% and then later offloading the data to my external drives? I guess the TRIM and SAMSUNG controller will optimize it once I remove the data correct?

I hope you understand my questions... Please ask for clarification if needed..

Thanks!

larry918

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2013
No.. Intel does design processors to run at 100%. As long your cpu doesn't reach over the thermal limit.

...By which point your computer will automatically shut down, so no worries :) Although you must be anticipating the new Mac Pro's very much.

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
And regarding question 2: That kind of use is definitely fine for the SSD, so there is nothing to worry about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.