Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:23 PM   #1
antjefferson
macrumors newbie

Anybody try the PNY StorEDGE™ Flash Memory Expansion Module (64/128GB)?

I am considering picking up on of the newly released StorEDGE™ Flash Memory Expansion Module (64GB):
https://www3.pny.com/StorEDGE-Flash-...P3407C591.aspx

I am curious if anyone has seen a review yet, or, better yet, had a chance to try it out for themselves. Since they say that (at least TECHNICALLY) it isn't a SD card, I am wondering if my MBA would still be unable to go into standby mode with it in the SDXC slot. Also - I have heard some have had trouble getting SD cards to mount again after the computer wakes from it's slumber.

Any suggestions? My SSD is only 256GB - so if one of these will add an additional 64GB that would be awesome. Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2013, 03:34 PM   #2
cho591
macrumors newbie

I'm also looking for any review for that. I am about to buy it now.
cho591 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2013, 08:48 PM   #3
robertatwb
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to robertatwb
Also Interested In This

Anyone know anything?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 11:39 PM   #4
just1ed
macrumors newbie

That looks like a ripoff Nifty drive on Kickstarter. Either that, or Kickstarter ripped off their idea. Except PNY's is a single product solution instead of an adaptor.
just1ed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 04:26 AM   #5
waloshin
macrumors 68030

How is this any different than a sd card?
Old Aug 10, 2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by just1ed View Post
That looks like a ripoff Nifty drive on Kickstarter. Either that, or Kickstarter ripped off their idea. Except PNY's is a single product solution instead of an adaptor.
Looks like that was funded in August last year, and still not shipped yet unfortunately. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...inidrive/posts
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:05 PM   #7
brentsg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by waloshin View Post
How is this any different than a sd card?
It doesn't stick out.
brentsg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:25 AM   #8
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It doesn't stick out.
Are you sure it doesn't stick out? None of the photos on the PNY site show it sitting flush, unless I missed it.
tgi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:45 AM   #9
brentsg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
Are you sure it doesn't stick out? None of the photos on the PNY site show it sitting flush, unless I missed it.
The selling point is that it is nearly flush. If it protrudes like a normal SD card then it won't be selling too well.
brentsg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:21 PM   #10
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Looks like that was funded in August last year, and still not shipped yet unfortunately. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...inidrive/posts
The PNY flash is not at all like the Nifty MiniDrive, and has no relationship to this Kickstarter project. The PNY StorEdge is the full SDXH card, while MiniDrive (and its iterations) are the SD-to-microSD adapters. The big advantage of PNY card is that you can get up to 128GB in storage, while microSD cards are currently limited to 64GB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
It doesn't stick out.
Incorrect. It does stick out, although a lot less than a standard SD drive. I actually like the fact that it sticks out a bit - this makes it easily removable, unlike the MiniDrive, which requires special removal tool.

Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #11
treestar
macrumors 6502

It is great. I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SD and the StorEDGE. The StorEDGE is exceptionally fast. It's very very fast. 60 MB/s write and 80 MB/s read. I tested this with AJA System Test. The SanDisk is miserably slow in comparison: 10 MB/s write; 30 MB/s read. It sticks out a little, but it's not in the way. I hardly notice it. I was going to get a MiniDrive or Nifty Drive adapter but not anymore. I'm very impressed with the StorEDGE.
treestar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:57 PM   #12
COrocket
macrumors 6502

Is the flash storage any different than what is being used in SD cards? I can't imagine putting data on one of those things that the computer reads/writes to frequently and wear it out. Interesting idea.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Opp
macrumors newbie

I ran across these today in best buy, instantly thought to come here and make this thread.

I'm regretting my nifty drive now. I can deal with a little edge sticking out for 128gb and the increased speed. I'm assuming these are just as durable as sd cards, sounds like a winner
Opp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 01:36 PM   #14
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opp View Post
I ran across these today in best buy, instantly thought to come here and make this thread.

I'm regretting my nifty drive now. I can deal with a little edge sticking out for 128gb and the increased speed. I'm assuming these are just as durable as sd cards, sounds like a winner
$199.99 for 128GB though, I wish it was a little cheaper. Interested in selling your nifty mini drive?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:12 PM   #15
terryzx
macrumors member

Much cheaper on Amazon!
Old Aug 22, 2013, 01:23 PM   #16
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryzx View Post
Much cheaper on Amazon!
That's great! So would a $77.66 64GB StorEDGE be a better value than a Nifty MiniDrive + 64GB microSD? 64GB microSD's are ~$50 on Amazon. Not sure what the MSRP of the Nifty MiniDrive is.

Also.

B&H Photo is even cheaper for the 128GB.

128GB - $159.20
64GB - $79.50

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...op+Nav-Search=
Old Aug 26, 2013, 09:51 PM   #17
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by treestar View Post
It is great. I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SD and the StorEDGE. The StorEDGE is exceptionally fast. It's very very fast. 60 MB/s write and 80 MB/s read. I tested this with AJA System Test. The SanDisk is miserably slow in comparison: 10 MB/s write; 30 MB/s read. It sticks out a little, but it's not in the way. I hardly notice it. I was going to get a MiniDrive or Nifty Drive adapter but not anymore. I'm very impressed with the StorEDGE.

Since you have this, can you please test a few things for me if possible?

1) Put the PNY StorEDGE into the slot and put the machine to sleep - open lid - is it still mounted?

2) Put the PNY StorEDGE into slot and shut down the computer - power on - is it still mounted?

3) This one is the most important one - dunno if u willing to test it out - but let your battery die (or let the laptop go into hibernation) - attach power adapter- power on - is it still mounted?

because I know the Nifty MiniDrive had an issue with one of those 3, my SanDisk Cruzer FIT to date has the issue with 3rd option and since it takes up the USB port, I would like to replace it with PNY StoreEDGE instead

Thanks in advance
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Breitling65
macrumors 6502

I order 128gb module from BH, it seem best solution up to date. Regular cards and flash drives sticking out a lot and I need something permanent there. Also seem fast, I read different reports on USB3 flash drives, some are slow and flimsy. Ideally I wish to use it for 1-2 Parallels images with Win8 and Win7 and movies/photo images
Dell XPS 8500 i7 Win7
Breitling65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 06:35 PM   #19
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling65 View Post
I order 128gb module from BH, it seem best solution up to date. Regular cards and flash drives sticking out a lot and I need something permanent there. Also seem fast, I read different reports on USB3 flash drives, some are slow and flimsy. Ideally I wish to use it for 1-2 Parallels images with Win8 and Win7 and movies/photo images
Can you please test these for me if possible:

1) Put the PNY StorEDGE into the slot and put the machine to sleep - open lid - is it still mounted?

2) Put the PNY StorEDGE into slot and shut down the computer - power on - is it still mounted?

3) This one is the most important one - dunno if u willing to test it out - but let your battery die (or let the laptop go into hibernation) - attach power adapter- power on - is it still mounted?

because I know the Nifty MiniDrive had an issue with one of those 3, my SanDisk Cruzer FIT to date has the issue with 3rd option and since it takes up the USB port, I would like to replace it with PNY StoreEDGE instead

Thanks in advance
Satnam1989 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:39 AM   #20
Breitling65
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post

Thanks in advance

OK, give me some time. I should get it next week.
Dell XPS 8500 i7 Win7
Breitling65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:13 PM   #21
Breitling65
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satnam1989 View Post

Thanks in advance

I did first two tests -> card still mounted, will do #3 soon. Did speed test with AJA System Test and it shows write speed 40-45mb/s, read 80-85mb/sec, which is pretty fast. I am running Win8 parallels from it fine too.
Dell XPS 8500 i7 Win7
Breitling65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 08:51 PM   #22
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treestar View Post
There is however a SanDisk Extreme, which is as fast as the PNY.
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2013, 09:04 PM   #23
Satnam1989
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling65 View Post
I did first two tests -> card still mounted, will do #3 soon. Did speed test with AJA System Test and it shows write speed 40-45mb/s, read 80-85mb/sec, which is pretty fast. I am running Win8 parallels from it fine too.
Can you also share a pic of how much the thing sticks out? I have the same rMBP as you, I know all different Macbooks have different sized Card slots (depth is different)
Satnam1989 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2013, 01:19 AM   #24
Breitling65
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
There is however a SanDisk Extreme, which is as fast as the PNY.
Regular SD sticks way more out, I have several SD cards as well. Also in this size/speed Sandisk not as much different in price. One in your link is just 32gb, really nothing for me. You could also use usb3 flash drive which is fast but flimsy and sticks out even more. So, I believe PNY did right thing for my MBPR.
Dell XPS 8500 i7 Win7

Last edited by Breitling65; Sep 6, 2013 at 01:27 AM.
Breitling65 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:15 AM   #25
Trubbles
macrumors member

After watching this for the past year, and constantly feeling the squeeze on my 256 GB SSD (in my 15" rMBP) I think this new product is a no-brainer...

60-80 MB/sec read and 40 MB/sec write is nowhere near the speed of an SSD, but is fast enough to use for storage. I am in Canada but BH seems to have no problem shipping to Canada (and taking care of duties).

Thanks to everyone else in this post for the info
Trubbles is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice