Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
Crazy Mad Lady in Apple Store

Not sure if you guys saw this on Gizmodo...

https://vine.co/v/huHUPLnx1dg

As inappropriate as she is acting (VERY), I'll admit I've been driven to that point a couple of times in the Apple Store. Luckily I have some restraint and didn't end up on the web as a joke.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
As inappropriate as she is acting (VERY), I'll admit I've been driven to that point a couple of times in the Apple Store. Luckily I have some restraint and didn't end up on the web as a joke.

Both Sprint and AT&T have nearly driven me to this point; actually, Sprint did drive me to this point but instead of having a shrill melt down I just canceled my service with them. Never at an Apple Store though; every single experience I've had there has been positive.

----------

Her kid will grow up nuts. just like her.

I generally try to reserve judgment in these cases because we really don't know the whole story, but frankly we are fast becoming an incredibly narcissistic society. From people calling the cops because Burger King didn't make the happy meal properly to actually, gasp!, having to wait in line like regular schlubs, everyone thinks they deserve special treatment.

I'm not sure what the root of the problem is, but all of our kids are going to grow up nuts if we don't stop treating them all like they're special little snowflakes.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I'm not sure what the root of the problem is, but all of our kids are going to grow up nuts if we don't stop treating them all like they're special little snowflakes.
The "special little snowflakes" thing is often cited as the problem, but I don't think that's it. There are plenty of selfish, self-centered people who don't think they're anything special. Go ahead and teach them that they're special little snowflakes, but make sure they're aware that they're not the only snowflake around.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

I couldn't agree more. Although this point of view is generally is viewed as either racist, or bigotry, hate or just plain mean.

At what point did it become ok for parents to let their kids do anything they want with zero consequences? It's scary.
]

I generally try to reserve judgment in these cases because we really don't know the whole story, but frankly we are fast becoming an incredibly narcissistic society. From people calling the cops because Burger King didn't make the happy meal properly to actually, gasp!, having to wait in line like regular schlubs, everyone thinks they deserve special treatment.

In my mind, it doesn't matter what the whole story is. Regardless of what Apple had done to her, it's completely unacceptable to throw a tantrum in the middle of a public retail establishment.

Last edited by a moderator:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Well I know exactly how she feels and I have had to get a bit loud with the "genius" a time or two.

"I don't care that I'm jailbroken, me changing the software didn't make the hardware allow dust to infiltrate the unit and end up under the glass". Result, phone exchanged.

"I don't care that the tip of the headphone jack came off in the hp plug, that didn't make the power button stop working.". Result, phone exchanged.

As others have pointed out in other threads and defended it like crazed animals, apple is a billion dollar company and I'm not going to let them NOT replace my phone when one issue didn't cause a well known other issue. Don't pee on me and tell me it's raining and don't give me crap when I bring in a phone that apple calls "out of warranty" and not replace it when the issue that causes it to be "out of warranty" had nothing to do with and didn't cause the returnable issue.

PLUS IMHO not having the option to be able to walk in and get taken care of is stupid and a very bad move for CS.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Crazier stuff happens all over the world every minute. Part of the human condition.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
The "special little snowflakes" thing is often cited as the problem, but I don't think that's it. There are plenty of selfish, self-centered people who don't think they're anything special. Go ahead and teach them that they're special little snowflakes, but make sure they're aware that they're not the only snowflake around.

I dunno; my daughter (who's going into the first grade) often has to be de-programmed when she gets home from school after being told all day how special and wonderful she is "just for being her". Kids are selfish, self-centered little brats when you strip all the politeness and instruction away; we teach them how to behave appropriately in society. My daughter is no exception; I love her dearly and she is the apple of my eye, but when I let her push too far the monster is unleashed and she has to be set back to rights. Kids without realistic appraisals of their own behavior are terrors, and when they grow up to be adults they throw temper tantrums in Apple stores.

If you just give everyone in society an award just for participating, they start to think that it's okay to be selfish self-centered brats all the time and we all just have to accept them they way they are, and I think that's a mistake.

benjamin831

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2013
Before you guys judge this woman, let me just say that I've dealt with that exact same Apple store in LA. And let me tell you the people there are incompetent as hell. Long story short, they turned a screen replacement into a logic board replacement, into a unibody replacement. In the end I blew up too and demanded a brand new laptop.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Her child was heard saying multiple times, use your indoor voice. That, ladies and gentlemen is Krazy with a capital K.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Nothing justifies that reaction. She just made a huge scene for nothing. I don't care what the reason is. If you feel that a store is mismanaged then ask to speak to a supervisor then call and complain to corporate. Yelling and creating scene will not fix anything.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Not sure if you guys saw this on Gizmodo...

https://vine.co/v/huHUPLnx1dg

So why the need to repost what I had in the OP?

----------

I just thought it was really funny to watch her. I really don't care about the back story, or who's fault it was. I got my laugh out of it. I have gotten mad before at companies, but never yelled like that.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
So why the need to repost what I had in the OP?

----------

I just thought it was really funny to watch her. I really don't care about the back story, or who's fault it was. I got my laugh out of it. I have gotten mad before at companies, but never yelled like that.

I posted this in a different thread. Didn't see your post. I guess a mod merged them.

Last edited:

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
I posted this in a different thread around the same time you did. I guess a mod merged them.

Oh ok. I thought you posted the same video just from a different source. Sorry about that. People must have posted more on your thread than mine. Oh well it is funny as crap.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I dunno; my daughter (who's going into the first grade) often has to be de-programmed when she gets home from school after being told all day how special and wonderful she is "just for being her". Kids are selfish, self-centered little brats when you strip all the politeness and instruction away; we teach them how to behave appropriately in society. My daughter is no exception; I love her dearly and she is the apple of my eye, but when I let her push too far the monster is unleashed and she has to be set back to rights. Kids without realistic appraisals of their own behavior are terrors, and when they grow up to be adults they throw temper tantrums in Apple stores.

If you just give everyone in society an award just for participating, they start to think that it's okay to be selfish self-centered brats all the time and we all just have to accept them they way they are, and I think that's a mistake.
The issues are related but still separate. "You're wonderful for simply being you" is something that can bring about laziness, lack of personal drive, and unrealistic expectations about how easy things should be in life. Going even farther, it empowers the ego and can make a person's behavior rather unpleasant toward others. But these issues relate to development of the self; how we relate to others is another area. Not being instructed in manners or not being forced to consider others can lead to selfish behavior, but simply thinking you're special doesn't automatically make you a jerk.

I think we've all seen examples of this type of thing. We've seen people who were incredibly talented and surely knew it, yet they still treated other people with respect and humility. We've also seen people who were incredibly talented (or who had a high social status) and knew it, who treated other people like absolute trash. Lastly, I think almost all of us see people every day who know that they have less and are less capable than many others, who still treat others with a major attitude and behave as if they are more deserving than anyone else. The latter two may differ in their perception of how wonderful they are, but they're united in how they perceive others.

I agree with you, though, that children shouldn't be taught to be so complacent. Let them know that they're capable of greatness and that they have the full potential to be wonderful, amazing people, but they have to work for it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
She's throwing a tantrum.

Don't feel bad for the Apple employee, feel bad for her husband at home. Poor bastard.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I guess I'm missing something...but watching some pathetic moron throwing a temper tantrum just doesn't crack me up.

I'm sure it's just my undeveloped sense of humor...:(

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Her child was heard saying multiple times, use your indoor voice. That, ladies and gentlemen is Krazy with a capital K.

Source?

I mean, we're watching 6 seconds. There is likely so much more to this and of course, why not pass judgement on a 6-second ****ing video. That's smart. No doubt, this is not how anyone should act, but I guess I just don't believe there isn't more to this.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
Well I know exactly how she feels and I have had to get a bit loud with the "genius" a time or two.

"I don't care that I'm jailbroken, me changing the software didn't make the hardware allow dust to infiltrate the unit and end up under the glass". Result, phone exchanged.

"I don't care that the tip of the headphone jack came off in the hp plug, that didn't make the power button stop working.". Result, phone exchanged.

As others have pointed out in other threads and defended it like crazed animals, apple is a billion dollar company and I'm not going to let them NOT replace my phone when one issue didn't cause a well known other issue. Don't pee on me and tell me it's raining and don't give me crap when I bring in a phone that apple calls "out of warranty" and not replace it when the issue that causes it to be "out of warranty" had nothing to do with and didn't cause the returnable issue.

PLUS IMHO not having the option to be able to walk in and get taken care of is stupid and a very bad move for CS.

I have a big problem with this attitude. "I did something that voided my warranty , knowing it would void my warranty, and I still expect you to do warranty work on my product."
Regardless, of the fact that the damage has nothing to do with the work that voided the warranty, they have no reason to fix your phone. Their product warranty has already been voided.
They may choose to fix or replace your phone, but they are not required to.

In regard to CS, Apple still is voted highest customer satisfaction in CS, by several polls. They must be doing something right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.