Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSalander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
NOLA
so here is my problem:
I have a late 2011 MBP with one Thunderbolt port and 2 USB2 ports.

I have to access specific data(archival material) fast and be able to handle those big files on a bigger screen.

So I thought I would go for a Lacie Thunderbolt drive and a 27" monitor.
Problem is: there's only one Thunderbolt port....so it's either or...

Then I thought that I could plug a monitor into the Thunderbolt port with an adaptor, making sure that monitor had an USB3 port I could go for a USB3 hard drive and get both speed and bigger screen.

Question is: would this even work since my MBP doesn't support USB3 in the first place?

Other solution could be to get a Thunderbolt drive connect it to the MBP then connect the monitor to the Hard Drive with the USB3 port... not sure this would be possible actually.

I can't really replace my MBP and get one that supports USB3, nor can I get a Thunderbolt monitor :)
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Get a Thunderbolt drive that has a second Thunderbolt port. Then you can plug a the drive into your Mac, and then plug a Mini-Displayport cable into the back of the hard drive.

Using a monitor with USB 3 support won't help, since it will be plugging into a USB 2 port on your mac.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
The LaCie ThunderBolt Hub ($199) is also a nice accessory because it can daisy chain to the display while supporting two eSATA drives.

LSalander

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
NOLA
Thanks, I had thought of that lacie drive with dual Thunderbolt connection as out of my budget but there are some refurb now, will give this a go.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
or you could get a thunderbolt display and just run an external drive from the passthrough on that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.