Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
I just bought a samsung 850 27" monitor (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/monitors/LS27A850DS/ZA).

The image is all distorted (horizontally stretched) and I'm not sure how to fix this, the optimal resolution is 2560 x 1440.

In my display setting, I don't have that option, the highest I see is 1920.

I guess my laptop's video card can run this monitor at its optimal setting?

I can't find a Mac driver for this either.

I'm running osx 10.8.4

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
What sort of cable/adapter are you using?

You can't run 2560x1440 over a normal DVI cable. You either need to use a DisplayPort cable or a Dual-Link DVI adapter.

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Ok I reset the settings, and then in my 'display' I set it to 'best for display' and it looks fine now.

BUT, I am not sure if it is displaying at 2560 or not, how can I tell? It doesn't show me that information anywhere now since I set it to 'best for display'.

UPDATE

When I click on the monitor display menu, it shows me that it is at 1920x1080.

I am using the Dual link DVI cable, but I'm not sure if the adapter I am using to connect to my laptop can handle that resolution. I just looked at the mac store, and it looks like I have the "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter"...is that not good enough?

Also, my display settings doesn't even show 2560, will this change if I have a 'better' adapter? Or do I need to download a driveR?

Last edited:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
I am using the Dual link DVI cable, but I'm not sure if the adapter I am using to connect to my laptop can handle that resolution. I just looked at the mac store, and it looks like I have the "Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter"...is that not good enough?

Also, my display settings doesn't even show 2560, will this change if I have a 'better' adapter? Or do I need to download a driveR?

You would need the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter for resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

But a Mini Displayport to Displayport cable without any adapters would be a better option IMHO. Note, that the connector on the display end is a full size Displayport, not a Mini Displayport!

Last edited:

laurihoefs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2013
Why not use Thunderbolt to HDMI and use HDMI for he display?

The display in question has no HDMI port, and even if a HDMI to DVI adapter was then added to the soup, it still would not work with resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

Last edited:

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The display in question has no HDMI port, and even if a HDMI to DVI adapter was then added to the soup, it still would not work with resolutions higher than 1920x1200.

It seems real odd to me when a display that has 1920x1200 and only runs on DVI.
I dont know what Samsung is trying to do...

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
The adapter I have says A1305.

Is this the correct one?

No. That adapter is not Dual-link DVI capable, which is why you are not able to select the full resolution of the monitor in your settings.

Your best best is a Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable like the one linked above from Newegg. You can also get them from Monoprice and Amazon.

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
No. That adapter is not Dual-link DVI capable, which is why you are not able to select the full resolution of the monitor in your settings.

Your best best is a Mini-Displayport to Displayport cable like the one linked above from Newegg. You can also get them from Monoprice and Amazon.

Thanks, now the one linked above is very cheap, and the apple version is $99. Is it you get what you pay for or that is just the apple tax? :) I don't want to loose quality or at least I want to know if I am.

BTW, if I was to get a thunderbolt, would I have to buy the adapter also?

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks, now the one linked above is very cheap, and the apple version is $99. Is it you get what you pay for or that is just the apple tax? :) I don't want to loose quality or at least I want to know if I am.

BTW, if I was to get a thunderbolt, would I have to buy the adapter also?

The main reason to get the Apple adapter is if you had an older monitor (like the old 30" cinema displays) that supported Dual-Link DVI but not Displayport. The cheaper Displayport cable should give the same or better signal since there is no conversion going on.

Do you mean if you get a new Macbook with Thunderbolt? Or a Thunderbolt display?

You can plug mini-displayport cables into Thunderbolt ports on Macs because the ports are backwards compatible.

iMacNoob

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Thanks I got the mini display port cable and it worked great!

I was asking if I was to buy a thunderbolt display, if it came with the mini display port cable or not ( I thought it was a big deal to buy the adapter b/c the apple version is $99).

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Thanks I got the mini display port cable and it worked great!

I was asking if I was to buy a thunderbolt display, if it came with the mini display port cable or not ( I thought it was a big deal to buy the adapter b/c the apple version is $99).

The Thunderbolt display includes its own Thunderbolt cable which plugs right into your Macbook. You have to have a 2011 or newer model Macbook that is compatible with Thunderbolt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.