Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Social media marketing company ShareThis gave the iPhone the distinction of "Most Social Device" today after finding that users were more likely to share web content on their iPhone than on any other device. The study, which was published today on the company's blog, also examined other factors like the type of web content being shared.

sharethis_device_study.jpg
ShareThis found that the iPhone is three times more popular than the desktop for sharing content and 1.5 times more popular than other mobile devices like tablets. Facebook accounted for 60% of sharing on the iPhone and was followed in popularity by Twitter and Pinterest.
How are people engaged with social channels on iPhone during the day? We see that Facebook is the most dominate social channel, with consistently high usage throughout the day. The other highly represented social channels are Twitter and Pinterest.
Earlier today, Apple announced its quarterly earnings results, reporting that it sold a record 31.2 million iPhones during the third fiscal quarter, up from 26 million last year.

Article Link: Users More Likely to Share Web Content From iPhone Versus Other Devices

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Not surprising at all. I love sharing photos with my iPhone simply because it's easy and does it well. Congrats Apple.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Not fair to Android. It would have a higher percentage if FTP transfers were included. (No, I'm not being serious.)

Last edited:

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
Positioning. Apple made a play with iTunes long ago and stumbled upon a gold mine. They have been able to nurture it into a very good ecosystem that makes it easy for people to rely on, and that it has key features people use. Apple knows where the $ is and digs deep to secure it. Google is bent on upsurping Apple with an array of cool innovations that harken back to the days of old Apple(yes, even under Jobs then). They are good innovations (Search, Maps) but not threads woven together to make a canvas. Furthermore, the only product that makes $ for Google is the search engine.
On the contrary, Apple has managed to popularize their OS X thru the popularity of iPhone and MacBook, and of late, the blunder of Windows8. Google has nothing. I am surprised Google stock has maintained its share value.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Positioning. Apple made a play with iTunes long ago and stumbled upon a gold mine. They have been able to nurture it into a very good ecosystem that makes it easy for people to rely on, and that it has key features people use. Apple knows where the $ is and digs deep to secure it. Google is bent on upsurping Apple with an array of cool innovations that harken back to the days of old Apple(yes, even under Jobs then). They are good innovations (Search, Maps) but not threads woven together to make a canvas. Furthermore, the only product that makes $ for Google is the search engine.
On the contrary, Apple has managed to popularize their OS X thru the popularity of iPhone and MacBook, and of late, the blunder of Windows8. Google has nothing. I am surprised Google stock has maintained its share value.

Wow. Just wow. Pure ignorance.

While I love Apple, google has more than nothing.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm actually a little surprised about this considering how many Android devices are supposedly in the wild.

Total BS report.

It doesn't see all the NFC phone bumping in the world or swapping of SD cards.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Probably because the rest of the phone universe has full Bluetooth and file support. No need to use the web.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
I'm actually a little surprised about this considering how many Android devices are supposedly in the wild.

Supposedly being the keyword. Most android phones sold are being used as feature phones. Then again it could also be because Google gives its users choice and they're choosing not to use their phones.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
for all the above posters that call this finding "BS" because "NFC", "FTP" etc is not included.

Please read again.

ShareThis found that the iPhone is three times more popular than the desktop for sharing content and 1.5 times more popular than other mobile devices like tablets. Facebook accounted for 60% of sharing on the iPhone and was followed in popularity by Twitter and Pinterest.

How can NFC like "S-share" shares pinterest / facebook stuff? I have both iPhone 5 and galaxy s4..... I hardly use NFC to share my facebook status... I don't think it even can!

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
As stated above, I don't see where NFC would have a place in this survey.

I'm surprised that Android isn't closer as both iPhone and Android are one-in-the-same in capabilities to share.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Probably because the rest of the phone universe has full Bluetooth and file support. No need to use the web.

Is this sarcasm? Or have you figured out a way to share to Facebook and Twitter with Bluetooth and your Root Explorer app (without using the web)?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
There are numerous flaws in this report:

1 - iOS is broken into two parts, iPhone and iPad, which take the top and bottom respectively. Every other mobile platform has both pocket size and tablet size, but they've been lumped together, unlike iOS. How much would the report change? It's really hard to say, which is why they should have shared it.

2 - They only looked at shares via social media sites. I realize the one person was joking about FTP, but they left out the main way I share, texting, as well as the main way most of the older people I know share, email. And yes, it left out NFC, too.

Edit: Hm, I was wrong, they do mention email. Still, no mention of texting, which is a pretty common means of sharing amongst the people I know, at least.

3 - I know that, like a trusty milk stool, I had three legs to rest my argument on, but the third one escaped me while I was typing the first two... Maybe I'll edit this post if I recall soon...

----------

Ah, I just remember, the flaw wasn't this article but this statement. Since they're looking at the percentage of users on each platform that share, the total number of devices in the wild don't matter. That's how BlackBerry and Windows 8 rank so high despite having a nearly nonexistent market share.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

Sorry to disagree. Although there's no doubt about APPLE's ecosystem goldmine, don't underestimate the even bigger future goldmine, GOOGLE is sitting on. The value of information will grow exponentially from here on. One of the reasons I believe that, to remain thriving and relevant, 20 or 30 years from now, in addition to their current endeavors, APPLE should enter the search business in earnest. They have the resources to do this right.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Is this sarcasm? Or have you figured out a way to share to Facebook and Twitter with Bluetooth and your Root Explorer app (without using the web)?

You misunderstood. On quite a lot of phones there is no need to share things via social network sites. When a friend takes a picture and I want a copy, we tend to send it over bluetooth. Its a lot more convenient and it saves using your contract's internet allowance.

Unfortunately, iPhones appear to only be able to use bluetooth for headsets and speakers. Thus the higher usage of web share content.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
You misunderstood. On quite a lot of phones there is no need to share things via social network sites. When a friend takes a picture and I want a copy, we tend to send it over bluetooth. Its a lot more convenient and it saves using your contract's internet allowance.

Unfortunately, iPhones appear to only be able to use bluetooth for headsets and speakers. Thus the higher usage of web share content.

Ah ok thanks and yes I misunderstood what you meant but I thought this study was specifically about sharing through social networks so any other method is not included.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003

This sounds like the sharing of content to other users on the web in a social media sense - linking to pictures or video on the web. What you're talking about sounds like sharing to someone in the same room which is a different use case entirely. At least that's what I got out of it since they mentioned facebook and twitter.

If it is just talking about sending a picture to someone, I'd think emailing it or even texting it would be more convenient than using Twitter. So I'm doubting (without clarification from the study authors) that they're referring to simply working around the lack of peer to peer file copies.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
The reason for this is obviously because: iPhone users have more friends.

Kidding of course.

But the share button in iOS does enable users to share very easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.