Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammo123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Just wondering if anyone's tried or read any good or bad reviews about the Hitachi Travelstar HD?http://www.hgst.com/travelstar-7k1000
I'm looking to put something in a Optibay in my late 2011 17" MBP & after reading all the threads on the SSD nightmares & hit & miss stories am thinking this may be the solution?

I have a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro in the main bay & it's partitioned in half ...One Mountain Lion & the other is OS X 10.6.8 which i use for some Audio & Video apps so was thinking the Hitachi in the optibay would be great to store large files rather than using externals..
Any input or alternatives to this idea would be appreciated

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Not this particular drive but I have a lot of Hitachi drivers and haven't had any problem.
I have Samsung Spinpoint 1TB as my Optibay drive and I love it.
Im pretty sure that drive would be fine for you as well.

soccaboi

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2014
sorry to bring up this thread from the dead. but i currently have a 500gb drive in the opti bay. it was once the main drive in the mb pro and i put an ssd in that spot. i have a mid 2012 mb pro. i tried swapping in a 1 tb but it would not mount. i put the 1tb drive in an external enclosure and it worked fine. i have since put back in the 500gb. have bought another 1tb drive to put in there to see if it was the hd but it that didnt work either. so i put the 500 gb back in and it works fine. do i have to reset or clear something? sorry for the long explanation. i am completely lost.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
sorry to bring up this thread from the dead. but i currently have a 500gb drive in the opti bay. it was once the main drive in the mb pro and i put an ssd in that spot. i have a mid 2012 mb pro. i tried swapping in a 1 tb but it would not mount. i put the 1tb drive in an external enclosure and it worked fine. i have since put back in the 500gb. have bought another 1tb drive to put in there to see if it was the hd but it that didnt work either. so i put the 500 gb back in and it works fine. do i have to reset or clear something? sorry for the long explanation. i am completely lost.

Have you tried formatting the drive?
Changing it to Mac OS extended?

Also make sure you the cables from your optibay are connected.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
I have the Hitachi 7200rpm 1TB in my MBP, standard drive bay, went in and formatted without any issues. fast and near silent, spins down and stays spun down when not needed so battery life maximized. Waaay better that the 5400rpm Seagate 1TB it replaced...

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Not this particular drive but I have a lot of Hitachi drivers and haven't had any problem.
I have Samsung Spinpoint 1TB as my Optibay drive and I love it.
Im pretty sure that drive would be fine for you as well.

The same config I have in my 17" - with a Vertex 4 SSD 256GB as my main drive. Have absolutely no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.