Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Rear Shell of Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Compared to Other iPhones and iPod Touch in New Video

We've been hearing a lot of rumors about a new plastic iPhone due to arrive later this year, dubbed the "low-cost iPhone" by some, and a video posted by DetroitBORG on YouTube (via AmongTech) shows the new rear shell of the plastic iPhone, which is expected to replace the existing iPhone 4 and 4S models already on sale.

In the video, Mike from DetroitBORG walks through the various features of the new rear shell and speculates on what features the new "low-cost iPhone" will have. While the shell appears to be essentially identical to one that leaked earlier this month, the video offers a good comparison between the shell and several of Apple's other iOS devices, including the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 5, and the fifth-generation iPod touch. The shell for the lower-cost iPhone is about the same dimensions as the current iPhone 5, though a little thicker.

Previously leaked design drawings from case makers have shown the rear shell measuring 8.5 mm thick, 124.4 mm tall, and 59.2 mm wide, all slightly larger than the iPhone 5 with the thickness difference being the most noticeable. The rear shell shown in the video is white, although it is also rumored that Apple will release the low-cost iPhone in a range of different colors, similar to the fifth-generation iPod touch.

Apple has been reported to be releasing a cheaper iPhone to target the lower end of the market and to expand its market presence in developing countries such as India, where iOS accounted for a mere 1% market share in mobile operating systems in June 2013, according to StatCounter (by contrast, the figure for the United States in June 2013 was 54.9%), as well as to compete with lower-priced Android smartphones, which have exploded in popularity recently.

The "low-cost" iPhone has been rumored to be priced anywhere from $300-$500 unsubsidized, with carrier subsidies likely to bring the cost down to $99 in markets where those subsidies are offered.

Article Link: Rear Shell of Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Compared to Other iPhones and iPod Touch in New Video
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:12 AM   #2
k1121j
macrumors regular

Its Small

that man has enormous hands or that phone is smaller than the current
k1121j is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:12 AM   #3
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

I actually think it looks kinda nice.

It is one TINY phone though.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:12 AM   #4
abhishake
macrumors regular

Who needs a diamond cut aluminum body anyways?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:14 AM   #5
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

I'm just wondering if this is real. Do we really need a smaller iPhone than the 4S?
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:15 AM   #6
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a

Looks like garbage. I'll gladly buy a Lumia, which will be infinitely better than this, AND cheaper.
CapnJackGig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:15 AM   #7
applesith
macrumors 68000

Where are the volume buttons?
applesith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
I'm just wondering if this is real. Do we really need a smaller iPhone than the 4S?
I would actually have to say that it looks pretty legit to me. I'm a TOTAL sceptic, but that looks very VERY promising.

I don't think it's smaller, I think the guy just has big hands. There's no way Apple can sell a phone with a 3.5" screen size or smaller. Even 4" is a tad cramped nowadays.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1121j View Post
That prototype has to be smaller than the iPhone 5
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #10
iThinkIt
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
I actually think it looks kinda nice.

It is one TINY phone though.
yup it's small alright...

iThinkIt is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #11
D.T.
macrumors 68030

Presumably.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Codyak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesith View Post
Where are the volume buttons?
They cost extra.
Codyak is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #13
WyM9
macrumors newbie

This one Will take the place of the 4/4s ! Apple can't keep 3,5" screen in his store
WyM9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Where did this come from? I'm not really buying it. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to knock up a prototype based on rumored specs and previous leaks.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Thierry ba
macrumors 6502

Plastic sht. Its Samsung like.
Thierry ba is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:22 AM   #16
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I would actually have to say that it looks pretty legit to me. I'm a TOTAL sceptic, but that looks very VERY promising.

I don't think it's smaller, I think the guy just has big hands. There's no way Apple can sell a phone with a 3.5" screen size or smaller. Even 4" is a tad cramped nowadays.
Good point, that's what I was wondering. I'm perfectly fine with them making it plastic (because Apple's version of plastic won't be like Samsung's) or whatever as long as the current 4S screen size isn't reduced.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:23 AM   #17
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm going with enormous hands since there are other "real" iDevices in the video.

Just goes to show that a 4" phone can be really tiny to some people with a larger build.
Jsameds is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:23 AM   #18
zeromeus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValSalva View Post
That prototype has to be smaller than the iPhone 5
Quote:
You two must have only watched the first 5 seconds of the video. He compared it with the 3GS, the 4S, and the 5 and it is a tiny bit larger than the 5 due to the thickness of the material. It just so happens he has big hands.
zeromeus is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:23 AM   #19
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I like the clean simple looks.

If Anthing the design makes a hell of a lot more sense than the iPhone 5.
Technarchy is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #20
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry ba View Post
Plastic sht. Its Samsung like.
So like the plastic iPhone 3GS too?
Jsameds is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #21
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Plastic shell means no need for a case.
Intarweb is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #22
hayesk
macrumors 65816

Quote:

4" is a tad cramped for people who already use premium smartphones.

This phone is to be cheap and sell to people who don't already buy smartphones. Smaller than 3.5" is fine for a lot of people. My mom's phone has a screen much smaller than 3.5". She's not alone the only one.
hayesk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #23
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
Looks like garbage. I'll gladly buy a Lumia, which will be infinitely better than this, AND cheaper.
I continually am surprised by commenters like you .. If you want the lumia over this .. I'm guessing you don't care for either .. What's baffling is your immediate ruling that the lumia will be better just by watching a 2 min video
Ventilatedbrain is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:26 AM   #24
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I like the clean simple looks.

If Anthing the design makes a hell of a lot more sense than the iPhone 5.
Chances are it won't bend either!
Tiger8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:26 AM   #25
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The "low-cost" iPhone has been rumored to be priced anywhere from $300-$500 unsubsidized, with carrier subsidies likely to bring the cost down to $99 in markets where those subsidies are offered.
I was thinking the iPhone 5 would still be kept around at $99 subsidized whereas it makes sense for the new low-cost iPhone to replace the iPhone 4S at $0 subsidized seeing the iPhone 4S will otherwise be the last model without a Lightning connector in the next round of updates. The $0 8GB subsidized iPhone 4 is $450 unsubsidized so a $0 subsidized 16GB low-cost iPhone could probably target a slightly lower $399 price point. Apple could potentially offer an additional 8GB low-cost variant that is only available unsubsidized in emerging markets at $299-$349 although with the size of apps slowly creeping up, 8GB is really cramped, and so while the new lower price point could lead to new customers they could be unsatisfied which Apple probably doesn't want.
commander.data is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion