Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

We've been hearing a lot of rumors about a new plastic iPhone due to arrive later this year, dubbed the "low-cost iPhone" by some, and a video posted by DetroitBORG on YouTube (via AmongTech) shows the new rear shell of the plastic iPhone, which is expected to replace the existing iPhone 4 and 4S models already on sale.

In the video, Mike from DetroitBORG walks through the various features of the new rear shell and speculates on what features the new "low-cost iPhone" will have. While the shell appears to be essentially identical to one that leaked earlier this month, the video offers a good comparison between the shell and several of Apple's other iOS devices, including the iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 5, and the fifth-generation iPod touch. The shell for the lower-cost iPhone is about the same dimensions as the current iPhone 5, though a little thicker.

Previously leaked design drawings from case makers have shown the rear shell measuring 8.5 mm thick, 124.4 mm tall, and 59.2 mm wide, all slightly larger than the iPhone 5 with the thickness difference being the most noticeable. The rear shell shown in the video is white, although it is also rumored that Apple will release the low-cost iPhone in a range of different colors, similar to the fifth-generation iPod touch.

techdy_plastic_iphone_back.jpg

Apple has been reported to be releasing a cheaper iPhone to target the lower end of the market and to expand its market presence in developing countries such as India, where iOS accounted for a mere 1% market share in mobile operating systems in June 2013, according to StatCounter (by contrast, the figure for the United States in June 2013 was 54.9%), as well as to compete with lower-priced Android smartphones, which have exploded in popularity recently.

The "low-cost" iPhone has been rumored to be priced anywhere from $300-$500 unsubsidized, with carrier subsidies likely to bring the cost down to $99 in markets where those subsidies are offered.

Article Link: Rear Shell of Apple's Low-Cost iPhone Compared to Other iPhones and iPod Touch in New Video

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Looks like garbage. I'll gladly buy a Lumia, which will be infinitely better than this, AND cheaper.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm just wondering if this is real. Do we really need a smaller iPhone than the 4S?

I would actually have to say that it looks pretty legit to me. I'm a TOTAL sceptic, but that looks very VERY promising.

I don't think it's smaller, I think the guy just has big hands. There's no way Apple can sell a phone with a 3.5" screen size or smaller. Even 4" is a tad cramped nowadays.

WyM9

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
This one Will take the place of the 4/4s ! Apple can't keep 3,5" screen in his store

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Where did this come from? I'm not really buying it. Can't imagine it would be too difficult to knock up a prototype based on rumored specs and previous leaks.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I would actually have to say that it looks pretty legit to me. I'm a TOTAL sceptic, but that looks very VERY promising.

I don't think it's smaller, I think the guy just has big hands. There's no way Apple can sell a phone with a 3.5" screen size or smaller. Even 4" is a tad cramped nowadays.

Good point, that's what I was wondering. I'm perfectly fine with them making it plastic (because Apple's version of plastic won't be like Samsung's) or whatever as long as the current 4S screen size isn't reduced.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
that man has enormous hands or that phone is smaller than the current

I'm going with enormous hands since there are other "real" iDevices in the video.

Just goes to show that a 4" phone can be really tiny to some people with a larger build.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I like the clean simple looks.

If Anthing the design makes a hell of a lot more sense than the iPhone 5.

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003

4" is a tad cramped for people who already use premium smartphones.

This phone is to be cheap and sell to people who don't already buy smartphones. Smaller than 3.5" is fine for a lot of people. My mom's phone has a screen much smaller than 3.5". She's not alone the only one.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Looks like garbage. I'll gladly buy a Lumia, which will be infinitely better than this, AND cheaper.

I continually am surprised by commenters like you .. If you want the lumia over this .. I'm guessing you don't care for either .. What's baffling is your immediate ruling that the lumia will be better just by watching a 2 min video

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
The "low-cost" iPhone has been rumored to be priced anywhere from $300-$500 unsubsidized, with carrier subsidies likely to bring the cost down to $99 in markets where those subsidies are offered.
I was thinking the iPhone 5 would still be kept around at $99 subsidized whereas it makes sense for the new low-cost iPhone to replace the iPhone 4S at $0 subsidized seeing the iPhone 4S will otherwise be the last model without a Lightning connector in the next round of updates. The $0 8GB subsidized iPhone 4 is $450 unsubsidized so a $0 subsidized 16GB low-cost iPhone could probably target a slightly lower $399 price point. Apple could potentially offer an additional 8GB low-cost variant that is only available unsubsidized in emerging markets at $299-$349 although with the size of apps slowly creeping up, 8GB is really cramped, and so while the new lower price point could lead to new customers they could be unsatisfied which Apple probably doesn't want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.