Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner

As highlighted by VentureBeat, Electronic Arts yesterday announced in its quarterly earnings call that it is now earning more through Apple's App Store than any other retail outlet, including its own Origin digital store.

Strong performance of freemium mobile games like The Simpsons: Tapped Out, The Sims Freeplay, and Real Racing 3 helped EA post a strong $90 million in sales on smartphones and tablets. All three titles performed at record bests: The Simpsons: Tapped Out had its biggest quarter ever for sales, driving game Real Racing 3 reached 45 million downloads and has 2 million active users, and according to CEO Peter Moore, The Sims Freeplay was among the highest-grossing games on iPad.
Quote:
"Our quarter was notable was for its strong digital sales," EA chief operating officer Peter Moore said in a conference call with investors. "To that end, Apple was EA's biggest retail partner as measured by sales. That is a first."
EA was also the #1 global publisher in the iOS games market for the June quarter, and launched its Origin gaming service on OS X earlier this year.

Article Link: Apple Now EA's Largest Retail Sales Partner
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
cassiar
macrumors newbie

Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:43 AM   #3
w0lf
macrumors 6502a

Boooo, go away EA nobody likes you.
w0lf is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
ihuman:D
macrumors 6502a

EA can go to hell.
ihuman:D is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiar View Post
Let's not read this as "EA made more money from iOS than any other platform"

It's very interesting news but there is still a long way to go in the mobile gaming platform.
Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.
Technarchy is online now   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
kd5jos
macrumors regular

Approaching a renaissance?

Hopefully This will push the mac as a gaming platform. Steam exists here, Apple is now EA's biggest customer (bigger than Origin)...

Hopefully this brings companies to OS X/iOS
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:35 AM   #7
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Hopefully ios users will learn to not buy from EA

The sensible choice
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:02 AM   #8
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Screw EA.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Add iOS 7 controller support and air play via Apple TV and iOS has the potential to be very disruptive for the traditional console gaming business model.

I'd plan on it actually. Mobile graphics are also evolving very fast. Won't be long till we have PS3 class rendering in our pocket.
You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:21 AM   #10
springsup
macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately to EA, this is just a justification of their much-hated IAP model.

Real Racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. IMO, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on IAPs took the fun away.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:22 AM   #11
cassiar
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Absolutely! It's all very exciting.

I keep seeing kids playing games with iPhones/iPods. No platform can compete with the 'pick up and play' simplicity of iOS. The graphic quality is already starting to catch up too!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:52 AM   #12
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Maybe now EA will see Mac/iOS as a gaming platform?
PracticalMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:07 PM   #13
cheesyappleuser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by springsup View Post
unfortunately to ea, this is just a justification of their much-hated iap model.

Real racing 3: 2m active users from 45m downloads = 4.4%. Imo, that shows a lot of interested users who don't engage with the game; maybe because an over-reliance on iaps took the fun away.
lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracticalMac View Post
Maybe now EA will see Mac/iOS as a gaming platform?
No. They will see Mac/iOS as a new way to grab the s*** out of more people's money.
cheesyappleuser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:11 PM   #14
Chastepe
macrumors member

Exclamation Where are the MAC OSX Games?

Maybe EA should start considering making some native written games for OSX or maybe transferring some of its blockbusters in OSX...I am just saying...maybe...
Chastepe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:37 PM   #15
nostaws
macrumors 6502

Complain about EA all you want but, I loved this game One on One Dr. J vs. Larry Bird on my Apple II
nostaws is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:38 PM   #16
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
Anybody know how Venturebeat calculated $90 mil for smartphone/tablets? The only $90 mil figure I see is for PC net rev a year ago

You're not gonna have AAA game development at a Freemium - $5 pricepoint. Even at the current $60 console pricepoint, publishers like EA are already getting squeezed and trying to raise the price of games to $80
You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.
Technarchy is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:45 PM   #17
litmag01
macrumors regular

What's wrong with EA?

Don't own any of their stuff. Is it really that bad?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:05 PM   #18
macaddict06
macrumors regular

EA sucks.

This would be analogous to hearing that George Clooney was dating June "Mama" Shannon of Honey Boo Boo Fame.

Gross.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostaws View Post
Complain about EA all you want but, I loved this game One on One Dr. J vs. Larry Bird on my Apple II
I think you summarized it pretty well, going back to '83 to find the most recent EA game title that was both decent and didn't piss people off.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:44 PM   #19
Risco
macrumors 65816

That is more to do with the decline of the current consoles and their impending successors. It will be a totally different story this time next year.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #20
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

Quote:
You need to play more iOS games if you think freemium is all there is to offer.

For every Clash Of Clans there is a Soul Calibur.

And it's not a replacement for console gaming, but it is highly disruptive for iOS to gain console like functionality with controller and air play support because there is a growing gaming demographic that is vey mobile oriented.

I don't expect "The Last of Us" on iOS anytime soon but that level of development is coming, even is Sony and Nintendo don't like it.
That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:02 PM   #21
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquorpuki View Post
That level of development is impossible without a multimillion dollar dev budget and a reliable and large profit margin, which iOS's low price point can't provide.

And Soul Calibur is recycled IP. Part of the reason EA is having success is they just port established IP to the platform, which is low risk since that IP already has brand recognition and they made a profit off it a long tome ago.
You're thinking short term.

Like I said, not today, not tomorrow, but it's only a matter of time before mobile creeps into the living room in a big way.

TV, Movies, Music, and Gaming, everything.

And it doesn't have to replace and XBOX, it just needs to disrupt the economy of XBOX. In the same way iPads don't replace the PC, but the PC economy is very different after the iPad.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:35 PM   #22
Radoo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihuman:D View Post
EA can go to hell.
Hell banned EA. It's too much evil even for Hell itself.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:10 PM   #23
dazed
macrumors 6502a

I wonder if Apple needs to take a shower every time they deal with EA.

I feel dirty just typing in their name
dazed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:46 PM   #24
BMNEUR
macrumors member

That's pretty depressing, considering there aren't really any major EA titles on the App Store.
BMNEUR is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:00 PM   #25
kmj2318
macrumors 6502a

I'm really hoping that with controller support coming, it causes Nintendo the same fate as Sega so then they have to make Pokemon for iOS. All I want is a Pokemon game on my iPhone! it's the perfect game for mobile.
kmj2318 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion