Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2013, 09:48 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's iPad 5 Set to Continue Driving Market Shift Toward In-Cell Display Technology

Digitimes reports that the adoption of new touch-sensor systems in both the iPhone 5 and iPad has caused a notable shift in the supply chain of the touch panel market, according to research carried out by the firm DisplaySearch.
Quote:
Displays with in-cell touch are expected to rise from 7.3% of mobile phone shipments in 2012 to 13.7% in 2013, while shipments of GG DITO (double-sided ITO glass) structure are expected to decline from 10.3% to 0.6%. For tablets, shipments of GF2 sensor structure are expected to rise from 4.7% in 2012 to 28.4% in 2013, while shipments of GG DITO structure decline from 37.2% to 8.1%.
Calvin Hseih, research director at DisplaySearch, notes that Apple has been primarily responsible for this shift, despite the massive number of touchscreen devices already on the market. Apple's shift from a GG type touch-sensor system (glass on glass) to in-cell touch technology and GF2 (whereby the second layer of glass is replaced by an optical film) has rapidly influenced the entire supply chain

Touchscreen architectures (Source: Displaybank/ElectroIQ)
Apple switched from GG to in-cell touch technology with the iPhone 5 release back in September 2012 and the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad also feature GF2 technology. Another report by Digitimes reiterates previous rumors that the upcoming fifth-generation iPad, which is slated to be released sometime in Q4 2013, will feature GF2 touch technology.

That technology will allow the new iPad to be thinner and lighter than previous models, with the technology being supplied by TPK and GIS. The fifth-generation iPad has been rumored and shown in leaked parts to be significantly smaller and thinner than the current iPad, taking design cues from the iPad mini.

Article Link: Apple's iPad 5 Set to Continue Driving Market Shift Toward In-Cell Display Technology
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #2
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Good, that's another thing that bothers me with my iPad 3 now that I'm used to the iPhone 5 (apart from weight/performance).

If the iPad 5 has an A7X, is thinner, lighter, has smaller side bezels and an in-cell touch display it would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade.
pgiguere1 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3
caligomez
macrumors regular

Thinner is better! Although not so much fun when dropping the phone and cracking the screen I guess..

Is the "Cover Window" supposed to represent the Gorilla Glass?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:04 AM   #4
840quadra

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgiguere1 View Post
Good, that's another thing that bothers me with my iPad 3 now that I'm used to the iPhone 5 (apart from weight/performance).

If the iPad 5 has an A7X, is thinner, lighter, has smaller side bezels and an in-cell touch display it would definitely be a worthwhile upgrade.
Yeah it's odd switching between my iPhone 5, 4, and iPad 3 now. Such a little change in the display, makes a huge difference in how sharp, and vibrant some things look!
840quadra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Nice - I guess the main thing is the resulting weight loss as opposed to the reduction in thickness.
Jsameds is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:16 AM   #6
trilla12
macrumors newbie

Well, haven't I got a great idea...

Well, haven't I got a great idea...http://i.imgur.com/m2lmIzs.jpg
trilla12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligomez View Post
Thinner is better! Although not so much fun when dropping the phone and cracking the screen I guess..

Is the "Cover Window" supposed to represent the Gorilla Glass?
You believe thinner breaks easier?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:22 AM   #8
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular

Might be time to upgrade my iPad 2

Just starting to feel a bit slow.
SvenSvenson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:24 AM   #9
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Nice - I guess the main thing is the resulting weight loss as opposed to the reduction in thickness.
I hope not. I would hope the main thing is better visuals like color, less glare, better use in the sun etc with better touch sensitivity including some degree of pressure and less battery needs. If that comes in a package that is lighter and thinner, awesome. But weight had better not be THE reason for this

I would even take cheaper to use so we can bump the base storage without raising the retail price or lowering quality to less than the current as acceptable
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:25 AM   #10
boshii
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
It does.
boshii is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Santabean2000
macrumors 65816

I'm all over a new iPad. My iPad 2 is still good, but is regularly taken and trashed by my wife and kids.

It's time!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:29 AM   #12
cogitodexter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
It does.
Try looking up ALON

(i.e. transparent aluminium... far stronger than bullet proof glass and a LOT thinner)
cogitodexter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Beardy man
macrumors regular

So, just me than that would like it to be the same thickness but have longer battery life?

It's never going to fit in your pocket, if it's too heavy for you get a mini.
I'd just like longer battery life for those days when I'm out of reach of a charge point would accept the back covered in solar panels ;-)
Beardy man is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:31 AM   #14
realeric
macrumors 6502a

People don't like thinner lighter phones. They want bigger screen, or smaller and cheaper phones. iPhone 4/4s and samesung g4 sell like hotcakes.
realeric is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:34 AM   #15
swarmster
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by boshii View Post
It does.
No, it doesn't. Notice how the glass is the same thickness and thanks to Corning, getting stronger all the time? The reduced mass of the screen and device makes breakage less likely.
swarmster is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #16
Dades
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitodexter View Post
Try looking up ALON

(i.e. transparent aluminium... far stronger than bullet proof glass and a LOT thinner)
Yes, but would thinner ALON break easier than thicker ALON?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:54 AM   #17
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmster View Post
No, it doesn't. Notice how the glass is the same thickness and thanks to Corning, getting stronger all the time? The reduced mass of the screen and device makes breakage less likely.
Depending how you approach the argument, you're both right.

Obviously a thicker version of the newer tech would indeed be stronger...

EDIT: Dades wrote exactly what I was thinking...
chirpie is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:58 AM   #18
Mrg02d
Banned

No matter how strong glass makers say their glass is, I still see shattered screens everywhere I go.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #19
RobertMartens
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
People don't like thinner lighter phones. They want bigger screen, or smaller and cheaper phones. iPhone 4/4s and samesung g4 sell like hotcakes.
Just to be clear. I LIKE thinner, lighter phones.
I need a new phone, One that won't make me sick, One that won't make me crash my car, Or make me feel three feet thick, One that won't hurt my head, One that won't make me nervous,Wondering what to do
RobertMartens is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:20 AM   #20
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post
It wouldn't break, but a thinner sheet could bend easier if you applied enough pressure.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:21 AM   #21
PrayForDeath
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dades View Post
Try looking up Spinel ceramics

(far stronger than ALON and a LOT thinner)

PrayForDeath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:28 AM   #22
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

What picture does not show is a backlit which required by LCD and adds significant bulk. AMOLED does not use backlit.

Last edited by saturn88; Jul 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
saturn88 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:31 AM   #23
bpcookson
macrumors 6502

I have the iPad 3 and find it to be too heavy. When the iPad Mini came out, I was really excited but became determined to wait for the retina release.

Seeing now that the full size iPad will get the same facelift and a corresponding decrease in weight, I can no longer say with certainty that my next iPad purchase will be a retina Mini. So, assuming they release the iPad 5 soon and then the rMini later, I'll be in a difficult position where I'm itching to make an upgrade without knowing what I'm missing out on. The reasonable thing to do is simply wait until they release both and then make an informed purchase, but... well, hey, I like shiny new things and I've got cash to burn.

All that being said, I honestly CAN'T expect Apple to release a retina Mini at the same time as the iPad 5, even if both products are fully prepared for a release. It's just too good of a marketing opportunity to position their respective releases in a staggered fashion. People might b!tch about it, but I'd do the same if I worked for Apple and it were my decision.
bpcookson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:33 AM   #24
deeddawg
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogitodexter View Post
Try looking up ALON
That's nice, but the context was assuming the same material. When you change materials of course all bets are off; a 2mm piece of steel breaks less easily than a 1cm thick sugar cookie.

ALON is cool stuff -- too bad it's cost prohibitive for phone use at $10-15/cm^2

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
No matter how strong glass makers say their glass is, I still see shattered screens everywhere I go.
Yeah, well: Cracked phone screens are apparently a weird new status symbol
deeddawg is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:34 AM   #25
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
The lighter a phone gets, there is a reduction in glass-cracking potential when dropped! When phones become feather-light, they'll just glide to the ground when dropped. Heck, you'll be able to catch it after you drop it, 100% of the time!
WilliamG is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion