Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:30 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Takes Aim at Apple with New Nexus 7, Google Play Games and Chromecast

At a press conference today in San Francisco, Google announced*its second generation Nexus 7, which comes with a number of enhancements. The tablet, which is thinner and lighter than the previous version, has an improved screen with a resolution of 1,920 x 1,200 and a pixel density of 323 PPI.

It is equipped with a Qualcomm 1.5GHz quad-core S4 Pro, 2GB of RAM, a 9 hour battery life, and it comes with NFC and Bluetooth 4.0. The iPad mini, released in late 2012, sports less impressive internals in comparison as it has yet to be updated, including a dual-core A5 processor and 512MB of RAM, along with a screen that is 1024 x 768.

Google has not focused much effort on the camera of the Nexus 7, which is in line with the iPad mini's 1.2-megapixel front camera and 5-megapixel back camera. The Nexus 7 is also slightly heavier than the mini, with a smaller screen and a smaller profile.

In addition to releasing an updated Nexus 7, Google is also aiming at Apple services on several other fronts, taking on both Game Center and AirPlay.

The company has launched its Google Play Games app, which is designed to be the Android version of Apple's Game Center. It works hand in hand with Google Play games services, a feature that lets developers build cloud saving, multiplayer gameplay, and achievements into apps.

Chromecast, another feature Google introduced today, is an HDMI accessory that functions similarly to AirPlay, allowing users to mirror content from a tablet, smartphone, or computer. Chromecast works with video, music, and apps like Netflix, and can be used with a number of devices, including iPhones and iPads. Chromecast, which will retail for $35, will be available later today through Best Buy, Amazon, and the Google Play Store.

While Google's Nexus 7 will be available on July 30 with a $230 price tag, there appears to be no iPad mini upgrade on the horizon. Apple has plans to release a redesigned fifth generation iPad with a thinner design and smaller bezels, but it remains unclear when the company will offer a new iPad mini. A recent report from reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo suggested that the company might not release an updated mini until March or April of 2014.

Article Link: Google Takes Aim at Apple with New Nexus 7, Google Play Games and Chromecast
MacRumors is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:31 PM   #2
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Competition is always welcome!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:32 PM   #3
nfl46
macrumors 601

SMH and its ALREADY sold out! Good lawd! $35 is a steal!

Edit: Its available again!

Ordering me one now!

Last edited by nfl46; Jul 24, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
nfl46 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:32 PM   #4
miniroll32
macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's a thick bezel.
miniroll32 is offline   54 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #5
dustinsc
macrumors regular

Chromecast finally brings something to compete with AirPlay. Been wondering why no one has implemented anything competitive to that feature so far.
dustinsc is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #6
4TheLoveOfTech
Banned

Chromecast is what I've wanted for years.

1 simple cheap HDMI plugin that allows any platform to stream to your TV's.

As more apps upgrade to support this it will change the living room as we know it today on any platform.
4TheLoveOfTech is offline   29 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Yelmurc
macrumors regular

The chromecast is actually a intriguing product. I'll be picking one up. heck its only $35.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:35 PM   #8
.Asa
macrumors regular

Sorry Apple, I'm switching.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:35 PM   #9
xVeinx
macrumors 6502

Wow. Chromcast. It's as if Google discovered Airplay.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:35 PM   #10
scottishwildcat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniroll32 View Post
Wow, that's a thick bezel.
It's actually thinner than the current Nexus 7, from what I've heard. Personally, I like to be able to hold this sort of thing without getting my fingers on the screen, so doesn't bother me.

Have to say, they could be onto a winner with the Chromecast -- as somebody who uses their Android phone a lot more than their iPad, I'll certainly be picking one up as soon as I can.
scottishwildcat is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:35 PM   #11
ridwan47
Banned

I'm seriously digging the Chromecast !
Cross-platform, also just $35.
comes with 3-month free Netfilx
ridwan47 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #12
BryanLyle
macrumors 6502a

The chromecast seems interesting until you read that it also comes with a usb cable and power adapter. So, you plug this into the HDMI port and then out of that you have a cable and a power adapter.

Won't look as sleek as the promo shots with a cord dangling out of it.

Edit: Looks like you can either plug it into the power adapter or a USB port on your TV if you have one.

Last edited by BryanLyle; Jul 24, 2013 at 01:43 PM.
BryanLyle is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #13
5aga
macrumors 6502

been pondering the purchase of an apple tv.

Looks like I'll be going with chromecast instead - cheaper and crossplatform
5aga is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #14
Sangdushi
macrumors regular

Chrome cast looks cool. If my Roku ever needs replacing I might get it.
Sangdushi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #15
ChazUK
macrumors 603

I didn't expect the Chromecast device. The Netflix deal is a steal.

Now we wait for an international release.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:38 PM   #16
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

3 months of Netflix included with the Chromecast? That alone makes it a ridiculously nice deal. (Unless the * means there are some ridiculous terms)
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #17
auero
macrumors 65816

Can't wait to see what XDA developers will implement with chromecast.
auero is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #18
dantheman5398
macrumors newbie

New Nexus 7, here I come. July 30th cannot come soon enough, does anyone know where I can preorder a 32gb wifi model?
dantheman5398 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #19
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanLyle View Post
The chromecast seems interesting until you read that it also comes with a usb cable and power adapter. So, you plug this into the HDMI port and then out of that you have a cable and a power adapter.

Won't look as sleek as the promo shots with a cord dangling out of it.
True - but all my wires are behind my tv and inside the wall

I'm holding off getting one though. At current - I love that my video library can play through Apple TV. So there's little reason to get this device as most of the content I want to play is on my hard drive.

That being said - I loved that this device has cross integration and can also control the TV (it can actually power on, switch to the right source and begin playing).
samcraig is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Eadfrith
macrumors 6502

Apple REALLY need a Retina Mini now.
Eadfrith is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:41 PM   #21
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Chromecast is a useful device - but it's oONLY a Streamer. Can't do anything else at all.

Doesn't do local Streaming - only works by sending the link you are looking at in uTube / netflix whatever to the streamer. Though if you can hook it into plex for the web then it's a great device for the money.

Doesn't do Mirroring.

Can't play games etc.

The nexus is a nice cheap tablet... but that's what it is even at 1.9mm thinner its a beast compared to the current mac mini
prowlmedia is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:41 PM   #22
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

More competition and impressive specs .. But I think I'll stick with my mini... The chromecast however is hella nice .. Something that always bugs me about nexus devices (I own a nexus 4 ) is that you get the feeling Google is always aiming to compete with a device rather than focusing on great user experience .. Heck my nexus 4 only lasts 2-3 hours of heavy use.. But I maintain that everyone should have an android in their arsenal just for kicks and iOS and macs for daily drivers
Ventilatedbrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:42 PM   #23
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

Nice, I look forward to Apple's next iPad Mini, with nicer software, lesser specs, and higher cost.

iPad has so many hardware features to add yet, that for no real innovations in this many generations, really makes it feel like Apple is coasting.

Apple doesn't do well as a coasting company.
ThunderSkunk is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:42 PM   #24
litmag01
macrumors regular

Meh. I guess, for the price I'll bite.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:43 PM   #25
tkatz
macrumors regular

Chromecast

Chromecast looks nice, I'll probably get one. I don't see it as a replacement for my ATV's though. While it seems to have the airplay aspect covered (which I use quite often, as well as friends that come over), it's still nice being able to use my harmony remote with the ATV and watch tv shows / movies / etc.. directly from the device without needing a phone / tablet / laptop to control it.
tkatz is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion