Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IBeDrummin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
So I need a laptop for college when I leave at the end of August. I really want to get the new Macbook Pros with Retina and haswell processor that is rumored to come out, but recent news says that won't come out until September...so I guess I am out of luck. So my question is, which computer should I go for? The current retina display pros are nice but they lack of storage bothers me. I wouldn't mind getting the 13 inch macbook air, bumping the processor to an i7 and ram to 8 gigs, but there is also little storage on that. I would use the laptop for: web browsing, netflix, basic word processing, note taking, iTunes, iMovie (sometimes), basic games like Runescape and World of Warcraft, etc. But what do you guys think is the best way to go?

Last edited:

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
So I need a laptop for college when I leave at the end of August. I really want to get the new Macbook Pros with Retina and haswell processor that is rumored to come out, but recent news says that won't come out until September...so I guess I am out of luck. So my question is, which computer should I go for? The current retina display pros are nice but they lack of storage bothers me. I wouldn't mind getting the 13 inch macbook air, bumping the processor to an i7 and ram to 8 gigs, but there is also little storage on that. I would use the laptop for: web browsing, netflix, basic word processing, note taking, iTunes, iMovie (sometimes), etc. But what do you guys think is the best way to go?

How much hard drive space would you want? Your usage needs seem pretty basic. Do you have a massive iTunes library or something? For your needs + school, an 13" MBA + external hard drive should be good.

Definitely take advantage of student pricing + the BTS promo.

IBeDrummin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
How much hard drive space would you want? Your usage needs seem pretty basic. Do you have a massive iTunes library or something? For your needs + school, an 13" MBA + external hard drive should be good.

Definitely take advantage of student pricing + the BTS promo.

I have a big iTunes library, that is the only problem. Plus I play a few games, but none that would totally wipe the space. I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my iMac with time machine. Would that work? Or can would that only be a time machine hard drive?

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
I have a big iTunes library, that is the only problem. Plus I play a few games, but none that would totally wipe the space. I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my iMac with time machine. Would that work? Or can would that only be a time machine hard drive?

You can use a time machine hard drive for other stuff, too, not just backups.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole

Were I in your shoes I'd go with the 13" Air like you mentioned but also upgrade the drive to 256. If you also invest in a monitor (helpful for all those papers) it could double as a hub for the iTunes/TM drive.

IBeDrummin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
Were I in your shoes I'd go with the 13" Air like you mentioned but also upgrade the drive to 256. If you also invest in a monitor (helpful for all those papers) it could double as a hub for the iTunes/TM drive.

Upgrade the hard drive to 256 or should I go for 500?

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
Upgrade the hard drive to 256 or should I go for 500?

I think the Apple 512 is overpriced. I would go with the 256 and only put active projects on the internal drive. My tunes and projects archive would reside on the slower, larger USB drive plugged into the monitor. TimeMachine could back up to a second USB drive.

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
Have you seen the MBA live recently? Maybe go into a store and look at it if you haven't, personally I could not work with the screen, as I'm a big fan of high res; it just makes working more pleasant to me.

Just wanted to mention it, I'm sure for a lot of people the Resolution isn't such a big deal.

IBeDrummin

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
Have you seen the MBA live recently? Maybe go into a store and look at it if you haven't, personally I could not work with the screen, as I'm a big fan of high res; it just makes working more pleasant to me.

Just wanted to mention it, I'm sure for a lot of people the Resolution isn't such a big deal.

I have not looked at it. Is it possible to put all of my iTunes on an external drive and still listen to it on the MBA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.