Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #1
IBeDrummin
macrumors newbie

Need a laptop for school (Which should I get?)

So I need a laptop for college when I leave at the end of August. I really want to get the new Macbook Pros with Retina and haswell processor that is rumored to come out, but recent news says that won't come out until September...so I guess I am out of luck. So my question is, which computer should I go for? The current retina display pros are nice but they lack of storage bothers me. I wouldn't mind getting the 13 inch macbook air, bumping the processor to an i7 and ram to 8 gigs, but there is also little storage on that. I would use the laptop for: web browsing, netflix, basic word processing, note taking, iTunes, iMovie (sometimes), basic games like Runescape and World of Warcraft, etc. But what do you guys think is the best way to go?

Last edited by IBeDrummin; Jul 24, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
IBeDrummin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
tgi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeDrummin View Post
So I need a laptop for college when I leave at the end of August. I really want to get the new Macbook Pros with Retina and haswell processor that is rumored to come out, but recent news says that won't come out until September...so I guess I am out of luck. So my question is, which computer should I go for? The current retina display pros are nice but they lack of storage bothers me. I wouldn't mind getting the 13 inch macbook air, bumping the processor to an i7 and ram to 8 gigs, but there is also little storage on that. I would use the laptop for: web browsing, netflix, basic word processing, note taking, iTunes, iMovie (sometimes), etc. But what do you guys think is the best way to go?
How much hard drive space would you want? Your usage needs seem pretty basic. Do you have a massive iTunes library or something? For your needs + school, an 13" MBA + external hard drive should be good.

Definitely take advantage of student pricing + the BTS promo.
tgi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:20 PM   #3
IBeDrummin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgi View Post
How much hard drive space would you want? Your usage needs seem pretty basic. Do you have a massive iTunes library or something? For your needs + school, an 13" MBA + external hard drive should be good.

Definitely take advantage of student pricing + the BTS promo.
I have a big iTunes library, that is the only problem. Plus I play a few games, but none that would totally wipe the space. I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my iMac with time machine. Would that work? Or can would that only be a time machine hard drive?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #4
cgk.emu
Banned

Quote:
I have a big iTunes library, that is the only problem. Plus I play a few games, but none that would totally wipe the space. I have an external hard drive that I use to back up my iMac with time machine. Would that work? Or can would that only be a time machine hard drive?
You can use a time machine hard drive for other stuff, too, not just backups.
cgk.emu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 03:44 PM   #5
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Were I in your shoes I'd go with the 13" Air like you mentioned but also upgrade the drive to 256. If you also invest in a monitor (helpful for all those papers) it could double as a hub for the iTunes/TM drive.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
IBeDrummin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by designs216 View Post
Were I in your shoes I'd go with the 13" Air like you mentioned but also upgrade the drive to 256. If you also invest in a monitor (helpful for all those papers) it could double as a hub for the iTunes/TM drive.
Upgrade the hard drive to 256 or should I go for 500?
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:58 AM   #7
designs216
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Upgrade the hard drive to 256 or should I go for 500?
I think the Apple 512 is overpriced. I would go with the 256 and only put active projects on the internal drive. My tunes and projects archive would reside on the slower, larger USB drive plugged into the monitor. TimeMachine could back up to a second USB drive.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 09:51 AM   #8
Shuri
macrumors regular

Have you seen the MBA live recently? Maybe go into a store and look at it if you haven't, personally I could not work with the screen, as I'm a big fan of high res; it just makes working more pleasant to me.

Just wanted to mention it, I'm sure for a lot of people the Resolution isn't such a big deal.
Shuri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:50 PM   #9
IBeDrummin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuri View Post
Have you seen the MBA live recently? Maybe go into a store and look at it if you haven't, personally I could not work with the screen, as I'm a big fan of high res; it just makes working more pleasant to me.

Just wanted to mention it, I'm sure for a lot of people the Resolution isn't such a big deal.
I have not looked at it. Is it possible to put all of my iTunes on an external drive and still listen to it on the MBA?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice