Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:59 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Team Behind 'Twine' Introduces the 'Range' iOS Food Thermometer

The company behind the popular Twine Kickstarter project has launched a new iOS-enabled food thermometer project called 'Range'.

Range comes in two flavors, one for meat and the other for high-temperature projects like candy-making. The team have not used a wireless solution like the Bluetooth used in the iGrill -- instead, the designers chose to connect the Range directly to the headphone jack of the iPhone or iPad. As a result, the thermometer can be used in the oven to monitor the temperature of roasts and the like.
Quote:
Clip it on or stick it in and set an alert for the desired temperature with the Range app for iOS (we include presets for common uses). While you do the dishes or sip a well-deserved glass of wine, Range graphs the temperature over time so you can learn and improve from each experiment. Once the roast has reached temperature and achieved perfection, Range tells you.
Range is available for preorder/backing on Kickstarter for $49 for one, or $89 for both variants.

Article Link: Team Behind 'Twine' Introduces the 'Range' iOS Food Thermometer
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Sky Blue
macrumors 604

Like the idea, not sure I want to leave my phone outside next to the grill
Sky Blue is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Lord Hamsa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
Like the idea, not sure I want to leave my phone outside next to the grill
Yeah, I'd like this better if the terminal end of the cable went to a Bluetooth module so I could connect to it wirelessly. I like the idea of this device, but I don't my iOS device physically tethered to to stove/grill.
Lord Hamsa is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:08 PM   #4
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

I'm I'm understanding this right, the thermometer is attached via a cord to your phone, so you have to either leave your phone inside the oven, or have a cord keeping your oven from closing correctly?
curmudgeon32 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Corrode
macrumors 6502

Next project: iThermometer for your butt.
Corrode is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Lord Hamsa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon32 View Post
I'm I'm understanding this right, the thermometer is attached via a cord to your phone, so you have to either leave your phone inside the oven, or have a cord keeping your oven from closing correctly?
There are already loads of digital thermometers with probes that feed into the oven. The cable basically squishes into the seal around the door - the door closes just fine.
Lord Hamsa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:16 PM   #7
Sky Blue
macrumors 604

Quote:
I have a thermometer that has it's open display on the end. The cord is usually pretty long and heat proof.
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Doctor Q
Administrator

The 4' cord might not be enough to reach the counter, depending on the kitchen layout, but I suppose you can use an audio extension cord if you have to.

An alternative would have been a design with a small cord that connects the thermometer in the oven to a small blue booth transmitter outside the oven, which would let you put your iOS device anywhere in the vicinity.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:27 PM   #9
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

I like that these accessories are coming out for ios. However, you have to question the need for something like this when a regular thermometer will do the job better.
Klae17 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:31 PM   #10
MarCow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
I have a thermometer that has it's open display on the end. The cord is usually pretty long and heat proof.
Right - there's no "as a result, the thermometer can be used in the oven" here. I have an iGrill, and the main unit sits outside the oven with the probe inside. The same would be true of the Range, apart from the fact that it's my iPhone/iPad at the other end of the wire, instead of an iGrill unit which then transmits to the iPhone via Bluetooth. This would mean my iPhone is tethered to my oven for as long as I'm cooking, and that wouldn't be great if I'm using it outside with my grill (which is what I normally do with the iGrill). Shame, as the app looks very nice in comparison to the iGrill app.

Why not allow this to be plugged into a Twine, as well as directly into an iPhone? I already have two Twines, and the Range app ought to be able to be made to work with it I would think.
MarCow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:32 PM   #11
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Nice, but wouldn't you rather just say "Siri - heat roast to a maximum internal temperature of 140 fahrenheit"?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:41 PM   #12
HiRez
macrumors 601

If the inside of the cord is metal, how does it avoid having heat travel up the cord over time to fry your iPhone/iPad?
HiRez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:46 PM   #13
John.B
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Cook much? I didn't think so. LOL!
John.B is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:57 PM   #14
trainwrecka
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Hamsa View Post
Yeah, I'd like this better if the terminal end of the cable went to a Bluetooth module so I could connect to it wirelessly. I like the idea of this device, but I don't my iOS device physically tethered to to stove/grill.
The iGrill came out a couple years ago and does just that: http://www.igrillinc.com

The early reviews showed great promise, but some of the current ones on Amazon are 1 star reviews. They do sell this in the Apple Store as well.

I would have jumped all over backing this if it had bluetooth, but not with leaving my phone outside.
trainwrecka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:06 PM   #15
sundog925
macrumors 6502

Hasn't the novelty wore off on you guys complaining about leaving the phone outside?

jesus. its a PHONE. i was uber uptight about mine too, then after a month, it gets tossed around like everything else

GET OUTTA YOUR BUBBLES!!

and those who say "blah blah $600 device noise noise", u most likely paid $200 so just do me a favor and leave your snarky comment at the door.

/end
sundog925 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:20 PM   #16
HitchHykr
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMNT925 View Post
Hasn't the novelty wore off on you guys complaining about leaving the phone outside?

jesus. its a PHONE. i was uber uptight about mine too, then after a month, it gets tossed around like everything else

GET OUTTA YOUR BUBBLES!!

and those who say "blah blah $600 device noise noise", u most likely paid $200 so just do me a favor and leave your snarky comment at the door.

/end
I think it's time for a Snickers bar....
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:38 PM   #17
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

The price is nice, but the iGrill renders this virtually useless in comparisson.
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 03:51 PM   #18
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Nice idea, terrible video. Very unprofessionally shot and sounds like the sound was recorded inside a tin.

Doesn't exactly inspire quality.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitchHykr View Post
I think it's time for a Snickers bar....
You win best quote of the day
dazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:17 PM   #19
jkestner
macrumors newbie

Hi - Range creator (and longtime MacRumors reader) here. Thanks for the interest. We went with wired instead of wireless for reasons of reliability/cost/battery anxiety/reliability. Also, we did design it for more than just outdoor grilling. Put your phone under a bowl and/or repurpose your old 3GS, maybe. I'm most excited about our plans for the app - we didn't want to just do some skeuomorphic temperature dial. I'm going to get to be scientific with my complex experiments using the recipe graphing!

We're conscious of the shortcomings of some other things out there, and we wanted to provide a well-designed alternative - hope you like it enough to back us, or like us enough to support our ongoing development of cool new objects you'll want in the future.

Sorry the Kickstarter video was the impression you took away of the product - the audio bugs me too.
jkestner is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:19 PM   #20
friedmud
macrumors regular

For everyone that wants bluetooth - look into iGrill (also referenced in this story). It looks _much_ better than this...
friedmud is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:46 PM   #21
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a

Like the concept. I expect to phase my ipad2 out as a recipe / kitchen media center, and hadn't thought about it as a temperature gauge, too.
But like others have said, tethering it right next to 400+ degrees....I dunno
thefourthpope is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:48 PM   #22
japasneezemonk
macrumors 6502

Having worked in a commercial kitchen for a about 10 years, I can tell you that this thermometer looks cool, but in a fast paced kitchen where your firing meals for multiple covers faster than you can plate any dishes, this would be utterly useless (and fragile). We use some super fast Thermapen Thermometers that do need to be used with care, but won't break if you drop them or melt if you leave too close to a range spitting out 20,000 BTU's.
japasneezemonk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:24 PM   #23
mrgraff
macrumors 6502a

The video is not that great, but I'm kind of glad actually. Sometimes I watch those slick overproduced kickstarter videos and wonder what they need my money for.
mrgraff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 05:59 AM   #24
dantastic
macrumors 6502

A digital thermometer with alarm and all funky features cost what, up to $20 or so. It can also withstand a lot more abuse than an iDevice ever could.

I have an old iPad assigned to kitchen duties already. Great for recipes and the like but I can't see myself spending $50 on this thing over a conventional digital thermometer.
dantastic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:42 AM   #25
roadbloc
macrumors 604

As an ex-chef, I can't see an iPhone going through the abuse the Kitchen equipment gets unfairly dealt. Neat idea though.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion