Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eyeless916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Sacramento, CA
So i bought a phone on ebay - the imei they gave me was not the imei on the phone that i got and it turned out to be stolen back in april. Ebay is trying to get my money back but they told me i had to "destroy or turn in the phone to either a provider or the police" but I am in California and the phone is from Connecticut and who knows where it was stolen from. Is there a way I can return it to the person?

Or does anyone know if i take it back to AT&T will they return it to the rightful owner?

I feel horrible b/c my phone was stolen at Disneyland and i know how it feels so i just want to get it back to the rightful owner - screw the scum bag that sold this to me on ebay.

Thank you.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
So i bought a phone on ebay - the imei they gave me was not the imei on the phone that i got and it turned out to be stolen back in april. Ebay is trying to get my money back but they told me i had to "destroy or turn in the phone to either a provider or the police" but I am in California and the phone is from Connecticut and who knows where it was stolen from. Is there a way I can return it to the person?

Or does anyone know if i take it back to AT&T will they return it to the rightful owner?

I feel horrible b/c my phone was stolen at Disneyland and i know how it feels so i just want to get it back to the rightful owner - screw the scum bag that sold this to me on ebay.

Thank you.

You could call AT&T with the IMEI and ask them if you can contact the owner

If you do, just ship it to them

Eyeless916

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Sacramento, CA
i just went into one and they said they don't give out that information and they don't confiscate phones.

They told me to try apple and or the local police.

When i called our local police department they said i can put it on the lost and found but they don't look for the people at least here in Sacramento. They told me to use the find my iphone app - which doesn't find an owner hahaha.

TheProFTW

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2013
Washington, DC
i just went into one and they said they don't give out that information and they don't confiscate phones.

When i called our local police department they said i can put it on the lost and found but they don't look for the people at least here in Sacramento. They told me to use the find my iphone app - which doesn't find an owner hahaha.

I would've asked customer support, not the store itself.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Try Apple, there have been people who have contacted Apple with phones that belong to others and Apple provided assistance in returning those phones to the correct owners.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Stores shouldn't give out customer info at all; however, you could see if they'll contact the customer. If not, I'd post an ad on Craigslist in CT and see if you get any hits.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

Do not turn it into the police. They will just steal it. At least give it to Apple. eBay will refund your money.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Honestly you probably won't be able to find out who the original owner is or get it back to them since this happened way back in April. Then it's not worth the police's or the carrier's time to go through the work of finding out who it is. I would have just opened a case against the seller on eBay and gotten my money back for item not as described.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Do not turn it into the police. They will just steal it. At least give it to Apple. eBay will refund your money.

Get real would you. They will not steal it. Police will make a report in your presence and a file number will be given. Anyone stealing it, including the police can be charged with receiving stolen property, which is a felony.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The police won't steal it. Since it is stolen and the IMEI is blocked, it will be useless as a phone. Apple won't take it either.
and yet Apple took it and took care of it for another poster.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Only the carrier can get the owner, assuming it was reported stolen, and the owner still has an account with them. They will never give you that info. How do you know the date it was stolen?

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
The police won't steal it. Since it is stolen and the IMEI is blocked, it will be useless as a phone. Apple won't take it either.

Get real would you. They will not steal it. Police will make a report in your presence and a file number will be given. Anyone stealing it, including the police can be charged with receiving stolen property, which is a felony.

LOL! I know police and they DO steal items, they do it all the time. This is the real world.:p

Police are human, humans steal.

I guess you think the NSA, FBI and IRS are all honorable employees. They are just union workers provide public services, badly.

----------

Honestly you probably won't be able to find out who the original owner is or get it back to them since this happened way back in April. Then it's not worth the police's or the carrier's time to go through the work of finding out who it is. I would have just opened a case against the seller on eBay and gotten my money back for item not as described.

This^

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!

LMFAO!!!! Wow!! This comment made my day..

I hate to inform you, but this is the real world.. Cops are the most corrupted organization on this planet!! Actually, they're neck and neck with our government...

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
LOL! I know police and they DO steal items, they do it all the time. This is the real world.:p

I guess you think the NSA, FBI and IRS are all honorable employees. They are just union workers provide public services, badly.

----------

This^

LMFAO!!!! Wow!! This comment made my day..

I hate to inform you, but this is the real world.. Cops are the most corrupted organization on this planet!! Actually, they're neck and neck with our government...

Here Here!:D

Walk into the police station. Tell them of the iPhone you have being stolen. Ask for a report to be filed or if not a supervisor. Ask for the report number. Now the report is on file with a proper legal number. I should know. I'm a retired police and how it's done at the department I worked at. And no, they are not the most corrupted organization on the planet. Stay off the drugs will ya

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
Turn the phone and its case in to your local police department, then post an ad on Craigslist that says you bought a stolen phone, and the rightful owner can claim it by contacting your local police department and giving the call taker a detailed description of the phone and case. Be sure to include your PD's phone number.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I'd contact AT&T except I would give them MY contact info and ask them to pass it along to the rightful owner so they can contact you. Then AT&T doesn't need to give away any customer's information. But as mentioned earlier, I'd call them. I wouldn't expect a store employee to be able to handle something of this nature.

Don't know if it would work or not, but it's certainly better than Craigslist.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma

----------

This^

There are some honorable employees at the NSA, FBI, etc but I don't think the NSA or FBI people are union workers. I wouldn't trust anyone from NSA or the FBI though.

Some cops do steal, but that doesn't mean they all do.

If the phone is stolen and has been reported the IMEI won't work in the U.S.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
There are some honorable employees at the NSA, FBI, etc but I don't think the NSA or FBI people are union workers. I wouldn't trust anyone from NSA or the FBI though.

Some cops do steal, but that doesn't mean they all do.

If the phone is stolen and has been reported the IMEI won't work in the U.S.

They are all in a union. I do agree they are not all dishonest! Looks like they will ALL be exempt from the new Healthcare system!

Our government has elevated themselves above us now. We work for them!

----------

I beg to differ. Even a blocked phone is worth good money for the parts.:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.