Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
This is really pretty sad. I don't want an iPad because of the size, I want an iPad Mini, but don't like the specs and I don't want to wait till next year.

The reason for the purchase would be iOS 7 development, which looks VERY interesting from the WWDC 2013!

So I was hoping for a iPad Mini Retina...

Then Google comes out with it !!! This sucks.

I do want to learn Android, but not now and didn't want to start learning it (for the 2nd time) until next year.

Oh well...

On a side note, it's also sad that Google came out with this now. Many are saying the tablet market is getting filled up and people were going to the mini sizes over the full sizes.
This really should have been Apple's device. Hard to imagine they can't do what Google just did until next year. How is that so?

Did someone from MicroSoft get hired at Apple ???

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Google did pull that off pretty well... they announced the product a week before shipping. I think this is the first time I've ever heard a technology company besides Apple pull that off.

As is, I already tried out Android when it was my job to develop for it last year. That was awful - I'm never going back.

The main support website for Android is StackOverflow. This question sums up how well Google is able to answer questions about their own products:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...es-to-from-google-drive-sdk/12321331#12321331

I asked a very popular question. Google (Claudio Cherubino) gave a halfassed answer - I gave an actual answer long before anyone at Google could find out anything about how to make Android and Google Drive work together (I'm pretty sure following their official directions still won't get you anything close to having it work...)

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
What if November does bring a new retina mini?

When you're programming, you miss the news :D

I hope they are planning it. Only reason I got rid of my mini.
Can't stand to look at it if I have a retina iPad as well.

I don't think I could ditch one platform for the other while the first one is still accepting my stuff.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
The nexus 7 looks amazing, I'd prefer if the screen was a bit bigger though, around the same size as the mini's. I've decided that next month when it's my birthday I will treat myself to one more latest gen android device before I write it off completely.

I will either pick up the new nexus 7 or a Samsung galaxy S4. I've not had good experiences with my android devices in terms of stability but there are some features of the device that interest me a lot. My upgrade is due at the start of 2014. This time I want to get the right phone as I'll be sticking with it for 2 years. I'll test my next android device out for the next 6 months and that will decide if I get an iPhone or android device come upgrade time.

sand_man

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Very appealing proposition.

I been hankering for a retina mini iPad 2nd gen. but this is very tempting indeed.

I think being so heavily invested in Apple ecosystem will keep me locked in though...

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
What if November does bring a new retina mini?

One thing this should at least do is to shake things up at Apple.

Consider:
- Android announced it had MORE apps than Apple
- Android has the Mini Retina BEFORE Apple by what might be 9 MONTHS!!!
- Android has a SWEET price point.
- Androids growth base is faster than Apples

Apple should be very concerned about this.

Based on this, Apple really doesn't have an excuse for NOT having an iPadMini Retina.

Not to mention that by the time Apple comes up with one (if it comes out when rumored, next year) ... Android would be almost 1 complete product cycle ahead of Apple.

Remember when Apple shortened it's product cycle last year?

This makes Apple look like a boxer "on their heels" instead on "on their toes"

Some also say Apple pissed off more than a few people with their shortened product cycle and reduced spec / higher priced mini.

I personally would like to see Apple get back on their toes, this is an industry where "cat quick" reflexes pay off.

Either that or have Android get it's act together... Their products have more infections than a Tijuana Hooker on payday.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
One thing this should at least do is to shake things up at Apple.

Consider:
- Android announced it had MORE apps than Apple
- Android has the Mini Retina BEFORE Apple by what might be 9 MONTHS!!!
- Android has a SWEET price point.
- Androids growth base is faster than Apples

Consider....

Announcing more apps is like Aldi saying they have more selection of food than Waitrose.... It's 'Quality apps' that count - not the number of them.

Especially when you factor in that sadly the majority of Apps on Android Play Store are still very much just the phone application running on the tablet - rather than a tablet optimised variation of the application.

Android has retina before apple ? However if the october timeline does indeed pan out - it will only be 3 months not 9.

Sweet price point is subjective. Personally given app choice and tablet experience I'd still rather pay €329 for an iPad mini than €259 for a nexus 7 - and iPad mini sales have so far proven this is the case for many other people too.

Popping down the € to buy a nexus 7 is great for you, and it will be a lovely device for many folks including yourself. But many other folks like myself prefer the wider aspect ratio and size afforded by the 7.9" 4:3 ipad Mini than 7" nexus 7. The difference it makes to our end user experience when browsing the web and such is vast.

As for apple pissing off consumers with shorter refresh cycle, well that only applies to iPad 3 - 4 and quite clearly if anything Apple has proven that that was indeed an exception to the rule for them.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Google did pull that off pretty well... they announced the product a week before shipping. I think this is the first time I've ever heard a technology company besides Apple pull that off.

It's even more amazing that Google didn't screw up a launch! Well, not yet anyway.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
About time Google get their launches together. They are horrible at keeping new product launches!

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
My God. Android does NOT have retina. Screens do, which are made by other companies, NOT Google. And use the excuse that Google released a "retina" small tablet is moronic too. First, Google didn't make it, Asus did. And Apple had a retina tablet before Google did, right? Just because a smaller tablet came out with these specs first doesn't mean the other company never did. Wow, the absurdity amazes me.

And more apps doesn't mean squat. As one person noted, quality apps mean stuff. And yes, I'm using Android right now, a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Nexus. I can point out a few apps that are great like Plume and GoReader Pro that are outstanding, but that's about it. The calendar apps and other productivity apps are sorely lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2010
California
Well at least part of the point was missed.

1st off I'm using Android as generic, simply dumping devices into a bin that either says Apple or Android, because that's all I care about is the specs and OS. I couldn't care less who makes them or where they are made, I see them a throw away after a year or to anyways.

I actually don't want to buy the Android unit, I'm an Apple dev and want a better mini to test apps on.

The truth vs the public perception: The truth is that 1 million apps is just plain silly. They should have shut up about this a long time ago. But, the public (not the smartest people) just thinks numbers... that's it.

I know all these points are silly, but that's what people see.

The timing is actually puts me in a spot. I must buy a new device to test iOS7, nothing I own will run it.

If I buy an iPad now, they'll have a new one in months. If I buy a mini now, they'll have a new one pretty soon.

This kinda happened last time I bought a device, I bought the latest one and Apple wouldn't allow dictation on it when it came out. So I would be forced to buy another device, then another later to run iOS7. That could add up to a bit of money just to test apps.

My other choice is to wait and not take advantage of iOS7, until what might be near the end of it's run. Which at that time, might mean buying yet another device.

I see Apple not offering non-retina devices after a while. People now expect the retina level display and the price points are clearly dropping.

The point is that the timing of the iOS7 and the device choices aren't lined up well.

It'll all work out in the end, I'm kinda getting used to having to wait for things to be lined up, but it does get expensive for something that's pretty short lived.

Maybe Apple will feel the pressure once the holidays come up and they see these Android devices flying off the shelves.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
And Apple had a retina tablet before Google did, right?

Right, on the iPad. Not the mini though.

Just because a smaller tablet came out with these specs first doesn't mean the other company never did. Wow, the absurdity amazes me.

The only thing that's absurd is your mumble jumble you just spewed.

And more apps doesn't mean squat. As one person noted, quality apps mean stuff.

Oh really? Then why does Apple celebrate it's milestones? And why do iOS fanatics always tout how the App Store had/has more apps than the Play Store? And the quality of the apps in the Play store are just fine.

And yes, I'm using Android right now, a Nexus 7 and a Galaxy Nexus. I can point out a few apps that are great like Plume and GoReader Pro that are outstanding, but that's about it. The calendar apps and other productivity apps are sorely lacking.

They work great for me. Maybe you don't know how to work it properly? :confused:

Here's the bottom line:

- iPad has retina, Apple first company to have tablet with a retina hiRES display
- The iPad mini doesn't have retina.
- The Nexus 7 does or at least close to it.
- Rumor is the next iPad mini won't get a retina display until next year when the competition already has. So yes, the iPad is behind, especially if they don't give it a retina until next year.

:rolleyes:

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey

As is, I already tried out Android when it was my job to develop for it last year. That was awful - I'm never going back.

The main support website for Android is StackOverflow. This question sums up how well Google is able to answer questions about their own products:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...es-to-from-google-drive-sdk/12321331#12321331

I asked a very popular question. Google (Claudio Cherubino) gave a halfassed answer - I gave an actual answer long before anyone at Google could find out anything about how to make Android and Google Drive work together (I'm pretty sure following their official directions still won't get you anything close to having it work...)

You are completely misinformed. That is NOT an official Android support site.

http://stackoverflow.com/about

Please refrain from posting misinformation. It helps no one.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
Consider....

Announcing more apps is like Aldi saying they have more selection of food than Waitrose.... It's 'Quality apps' that count - not the number of them.

Especially when you factor in that sadly the majority of Apps on Android Play Store are still very much just the phone application running on the tablet - rather than a tablet optimised variation of the application.

Android has retina before apple ? However if the october timeline does indeed pan out - it will only be 3 months not 9.

Sweet price point is subjective. Personally given app choice and tablet experience I'd still rather pay €329 for an iPad mini than €259 for a nexus 7 - and iPad mini sales have so far proven this is the case for many other people too.

Popping down the € to buy a nexus 7 is great for you, and it will be a lovely device for many folks including yourself. But many other folks like myself prefer the wider aspect ratio and size afforded by the 7.9" 4:3 ipad Mini than 7" nexus 7. The difference it makes to our end user experience when browsing the web and such is vast.

As for apple pissing off consumers with shorter refresh cycle, well that only applies to iPad 3 - 4 and quite clearly if anything Apple has proven that that was indeed an exception to the rule for them.

Couldn't agree more. I love Android. I might even buy the new Nexus 7 for eTextbooks at my university. But I still think the iPad is the best tablet out atm. That being said, I'd take the Nexus 7 over a non-retina iPad. I'm actually typing this on an iPad 3.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
News flash, Apple doesn't make their displays either...so what's your point?

Right, on the iPad. Not the mini though.

The only thing that's absurd is your mumble jumble you just spewed.

Oh really? Then why does Apple celebrate it's milestones? And why do iOS fanatics always tout how the App Store had/has more apps than the Play Store? And the quality of the apps in the Play store are just fine.

They work great for me. Maybe you don't know how to work it properly? :confused:

Here's the bottom line:

- iPad has retina, Apple first company to have tablet with a retina hiRES display
- The iPad mini doesn't have retina.
- The Nexus 7 does or at least close to it.
- Rumor is the next iPad mini won't get a retina display until next year when the competition already has. So yes, the iPad is behind, especially if they don't give it a retina until next year.

:rolleyes:

And the iPad isn't behind, you might want to bring out sales numbers, but the iPad "MINI" might be behind in getting a higher resolution screen, but unless you're in Apple R&D or research or product development, then we won't know until it comes out but in the interim, all this chest beating over a product that Google announced and is getting all the credit for but didn't make is undeserved. I have yet to hear that Asus made it and is getting any of the credit.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
all this chest beating over a product that Google announced and is getting all the credit for but didn't make is undeserved. I have yet to hear that Asus made it and is getting any of the credit.

Google work with Asus to make these devices, that's why they're Google branded.

Tell me, did you give Samsung due credit for making the A5 chip? ;)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Google work with Asus to make these devices, that's why they're Google branded.

Tell me, did you give Samsung due credit for making the A5 chip? ;)

I know, do people think apple makes all of the parts in their phone haha

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This is really pretty sad. I don't want an iPad because of the size, I want an iPad Mini, but don't like the specs and I don't want to wait till next year.

Why is it sad? Get the device that best fits your needs.

Although, I would like to know how you know the iPad mini won't be updated until next year.:p

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
Consider....

For years, Apple fans and even Apple was quoting how many apps the platform had. Now it doesn't matter or the goal posts have changed.

Agreed. But it doesn't matter much on a 7" screen.

I doubt it. But if they make it by October, expect a higher price than the current model.

The Mini is doing well but really cannibalizing iPad 4 sales as total iPad sales are slowing down while Android tablets and particularly Nexus 7 tablets are gaining share.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I Just Bought My New Device, It's Not Apple

Tired of waiting for a Retina equipped iPad mini to replace my low resolution original, I took advantage of Google's successful launch and immediate availability of the new Nexus 7.2.

It's an impressive model with a high resolution display that's within four or five pixels of matching Apple's much hyped Retina display. An even more impressive fact is the retail price, which was a full $100_less_ than I paid for my iPad mini.

That said, as a long time Apple customer and enthusiast, I agree with the OP. It's a shame that Apple could not do what Google could and did. I'm finding Android 4.3.x a fast and fun OS. Along with its gesture based keyboard, the speed and efficiency of the Nexus 7.2 is nothing short of pure brilliance.

As one who remains very happy with my new MacBook Pro and MacBook Air laptops, I'm sitting back and watching to see just how long it will take Apple to catch up to Google.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

The reason for the purchase would be iOS 7 development, which looks VERY interesting from the WWDC 2013!

So I was hoping for a iPad Mini Retina...

Then Google comes out with it !!! This sucks.

I do want to learn Android, but not now and didn't want to start learning it (for the 2nd time) until next year.

Oh well...

On a side note, it's also sad that Google came out with this now. Many are saying the tablet market is getting filled up and people were going to the mini sizes over the full sizes.
This really should have been Apple's device. Hard to imagine they can't do what Google just did until next year. How is that so?

Did someone from MicroSoft get hired at Apple ???

I don't understand. Who is forcing you to buy a tablet now?? Your post makes it sound like someone is putting a gun to your head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.