Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipadminibroke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2013
I bought a ipad mini on monday. i've been using it with no problems until about an hour ago. it was plugged in and i picked it up, unplugged it, and checked the battery life (~70%). i swiped to unlock and tried to use it, but all the sudden the screen went blank. can't get it to turn back on, and when plugged into my mac it says its in recovery mode but comes up with an error every time i try to restore.

my guess is some hardware is defective? has anyone else had such a problem? i am so angry, i feel like i always have problems with apple products. they just seem so low quality now. yeah maybe they will fix it/replace it if something goes wrong, but things are just going wrong so often its inconvenient.

i am not sure if i want to replace it or just return it. thoughts? was i just super unlucky and my next one should be fine?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
It is under warranty, so if it is defective they will replace it
Just take it in and see if they can determine what is wrong with it

Shouldn't be a big issue, and if it is replaced, the new unit should be just fine

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ummmm...... Why don't you return it, and get one of those other trouble-free brands. Seriously, if this isn't a troll, you need to examine why you continue to buy products that always cause problems for you.

srkmish

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2013
When ur username is ipadminibroke, its hard to take u seriously. Apple products generally have better quality control than any other brand. Also, the customer service is better so u should get a replacement/get it serviced under warranty hasslefree.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Ummmm...... Why don't you return it, and get one of those other trouble-free brands. Seriously, if this isn't a troll, you need to examine why you continue to buy products that always cause problems for you.

When ur username is ipadminibroke, its hard to take u seriously. Apple products generally have better quality control than any other brand. Also, the customer service is better so u should get a replacement/get it serviced under warranty hasslefree.

Guys, I don't know why you'd think the OP is a troll? Obviously he was not a member here and created his account to ask about this issue (hence the username).

OP, as the others have stated, it seems like you unfortunatley got a lemon. Bring it in, and you should have no issues getting it replaced by a new device.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds just unlucky. Good thing you're within your return/warranty period. Go grab a new one.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Why ask here? It's broken so obvously you're not keeping it.

Exchanging or returning it is a personal decision. If you like the mini, exchange it. If you don't like it, return it. If you say apple products always break on you, why would you keep buying them in the first place?

FrankB1191

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
has anyone else had such a problem? i am so angry, i feel like i always have problems with apple products. they just seem so low quality now. yeah maybe they will fix it/replace it if something goes wrong, but things are just going wrong so often its inconvenient.

I say "if". :D I've seen this a zillion times on various forums, and some posts are smattered over several forums on the same day. My Apple products have been free of problems, and that's why I pay more to buy them. If the OP is "always" having problems with Apple products, maybe he should look at the other brands. Otherwise, return it for another. It's a good product IMO.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It is under warranty, so if it is defective they will replace it
Just take it in and see if they can determine what is wrong with it

Shouldn't be a big issue, and if it is replaced, the new unit should be just fine

Agreed. There won't be a problem getting Apple to replace it.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
OP, take it into the Genius Bar and they'll replace no questions asked. They'll most likely attempt to restore it on their own computers, and assuming it'll fail as well, they'll replace it on the spot. Sounds like you've just been unlucky. I received an iPhone 4 whose front camera stopped working, a 4S that stopped reading the SIM card, and my MBP's hard drive was faulty upon delivery. I also broke my Mini's screen (my own fault) and had it replaced too. It just happens. Each time I went into the Apple Store and got em replaced/fixed no problem, and everything's been rosy ever since.

Forums readers, please unmount your high horse, please and thank you.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
iPads break. My first iPad 4 wifi went defective after a week. Apple replaced it eventually. (Had to go twice as they didn't believe me first go)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.