Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Algoriddim Launches Djay 2 for iPhone and iPad

Algoriddim has launched a sequel to their popular djay iOS app. Djay was originally a Mac application, but has since found wide popularity on the iPhone and iPad. The iOS version has won a 2011 Apple Design Award and has seen millions of downloads.

The new version offers a revamped user interface, drum machine, sampler, and improved scratching/syncing tools and more.

Most notable are features related to offering users direct visual feedback of music. Songs are now actually mapped to "virtual grooves" which reflect the peaks and valleys just like on traditional vinyl. The music waveform is now colored, mapping specific colors to similar sounds, allowing you to visually identify song sections and instruments.

Quote:
Retaining the simplicity of the traditional DJ turntable look-and-feel, djay 2 adds a stunning new waveform layer, which allows users to touch and interact with their music at an unprecedented level of detail and clarity. HD Waveforms provide users with precise visual cues that highlight similar sounds with similar colors, leveraging the full resolution of the Retina display on iPad and iPhone.
Djay 2 is available in the App Store now with discounted launch pricing of $4.99 for iPad and $0.99 for iPhone. Direct Links: iPad, $4.99, iPhone, $0.99

Article Link: Algoriddim Launches Djay 2 for iPhone and iPad
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

Wow, awesome! This sounds awesome!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:15 AM   #3
pancakedrawer
macrumors regular

It would be nice if there was some form of upgrade pricing and installation.
pancakedrawer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:18 AM   #4
jonnyb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancakedrawer View Post
It would be nice if there was some form of upgrade pricing and installation.
It is an upgrade price - it's discounted by 50%. It's $4.99 and $0.99. That's a really good price for a new version of a very good app.
jonnyb is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
PhamQu
macrumors newbie

I've never used this kind of application, but it does seem extremely limited if used on an iPhone due to the lack of screen real estate. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P, 16gb RAM, Dual 2gb 750m Nvidia graphics
PhamQu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I heard the loud music and realized how cool the product must be. Kudos, Algoriddim marketing team!
AngerDanger is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:20 AM   #7
Pompiliu
Banned

Slow news day?
Pompiliu is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:21 AM   #8
serifstelar
macrumors newbie

Do they really think that people will pay for every update? I won't. That's not how AppStore works.
serifstelar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:21 AM   #9
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhamQu View Post
I've never used this kind of application, but it does seem extremely limited if used on an iPhone due to the lack of screen real estate. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yup that's why the iphone version is only one dollar.
appleisking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
cosmic68
macrumors regular

Original a great app with a fatal flaw-cant mix out in stereo. Your mixes record mono-sound crap. This just seems like eye candy. Shame they can't work out a stereo output solution. I guess it's down to hardware limitation.
cosmic68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
CGagnon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiliu View Post
Slow news day?
This is getting just as annoying as people saying 'Safari seems snappier'. There are way too many kids on this forum, I need to avoid the comments more.
MP, Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon/64/2048 SSD
CGagnon is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:28 AM   #12
TripleF
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic68 View Post
Original a great app with a fatal flaw-cant mix out in stereo. Your mixes record mono-sound crap. This just seems like eye candy. Shame they can't work out a stereo output solution. I guess it's down to hardware limitation.
Actually that has been fixed a while ago with iOS 6:
http://help.algoriddim.com/customer/...-audio-devices
TripleF is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:29 AM   #13
jonnyb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by serifstelar View Post
Do they really think that people will pay for every update? I won't. That's not how AppStore works.
They haven't had to pay for every update - there have been plenty of free updates to version 1, but this is a new version and devs have to eat too. So they can't make updates free forever.

It's a pittance to upgrade to these new versions. The reason the app store has such high quality apps is because devs get paid for their continued work and commitment to the platform.
jonnyb is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Amadeus71
macrumors newbie

That's all? Really?

For a paid upgrade (counting the introduction price as 'upgrade' seems reasonable), I don't think this offers that much over the old version. A little bit of extra colour and a few beats don't quite justify new money, in my view.

I feel being double-dipped.
Amadeus71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:37 AM   #15
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

No universal, no buy.
Bathplug is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
jonnyb
macrumors 6502a

'Free upgrades forever' is not a sustainable business model for devs. Or Apple for that matter.
jonnyb is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:40 AM   #17
carl0sian
macrumors regular

i have itunes Match and it doesn't work well with that. Fix that, and I'll consider buying it. I was not too impressed with Djay 1.0
carl0sian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:47 AM   #18
rwilliams
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by serifstelar View Post
They have bills to pay and food to put on the table too, you know. It never ceases to amaze me that we live in an age where paying a few dollars for software upsets so many people.
rwilliams is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 08:52 AM   #19
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Shouldn't this article go in the iOS blog section? Doesn't seem like a rumor about anything Apple related.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

How is this front page news? Please don't tell me this is a slow-news day.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:10 AM   #21
ChrisTX
macrumors 68020

I have the original version installed, and love it. This one looks even better!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:14 AM   #22
gluckett
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb View Post
It is an upgrade price - it's discounted by 50%. It's $4.99 and $0.99. That's a really good price for a new version of a very good app.
It's not really an upgrade price - it's only for the first week and it applies to everyone, not just current users. I guess I still have a sour taste in my mouth after paying for VJay and then they started giving it away.
gluckett is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:16 AM   #23
serifstelar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwilliams View Post
They have bills to pay and food to put on the table too, you know. It never ceases to amaze me that we live in an age where paying a few dollars for software upsets so many people.
I paid for a lot of apps, and i understand the devs need money to continue their work. But this is not a new app, it's just an update. So i'll keep the 'few dollars' for other new apps.
serifstelar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:17 AM   #24
distemp
macrumors regular

I use DJay in place of the Music app on my phone and I love it. I just bought this...$1 is an awesome price...but actually using the app, it just seems like a 2.0 type of update to the original. I realize updates can't be free forever and that app publishers will probably have to release a "sequel" app like this at some point but I guess I just expected a little more from a paid update.
distemp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:20 AM   #25
Tulani
macrumors 6502

Ideal app for streaming via Apple TV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion