Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Instructs Chinese Users on Identification and Use of Genuine Apple Power Adapters

After two electric shock incidents involving the iPhone in China, Apple has added a special page*[Google translation, via The Next Web]*to its Chinese website informing consumers about the identification and use of genuine USB power adapters for the iPad and iPhone.

The page includes a message about Apple's continued dedication to consumer safety and testing. It also includes diagrams for identifying genuine power adapters for products that use the new Lightning connector and those that use the legacy 30-pin connector.
Quote:
When you need to charge the iPhone or iPad, we recommend that you use the standard USB power adapter and USB cable. These adapters and cables are also available separately from Apple and Apple Authorized Resellers.
Last week, a Chinese man was left in a coma after receiving an electric shock while charging his iPhone 4, an incident which followed the death of a Chinese woman under similar circumstances. Both incidents apparently involved the use of unauthorized third-party adapters.

Article Link: Apple Instructs Chinese Users on Identification and Use of Genuine Apple Power Adapters
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:29 AM   #2
bushido
macrumors 603

beware of amazon as well, they sell multiple 3rd party adapters under the "original part" name which I am always amazed is even allowed.

i bought one of these by mistake once and the wire was already all out in the open without the plastic covering it up after one day of use

Last edited by bushido; Jul 25, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
bushido is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:31 AM   #3
iThinkIt
macrumors regular

it's a shocking revelation (pun intended).... I have seen many Chinese after market items that are substandard... that said there are many good ones also.

iThinkIt is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:33 AM   #4
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

They should do this for every countries page. Theres a big problem of dangerous counterfeit chargers in the UK too.
Kissaragi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:34 AM   #5
H2SO4
macrumors 65816

Oh please. Won't take long before the copies are looking 100% authentic.
H2SO4 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:35 AM   #6
sharkzor
macrumors newbie

WHY not make the original apple chargers cheaper so people won't have to use fake ones?
sharkzor is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
ad1815
macrumors member

Apple has two lessons to learn:
1: Original Apple accessaries are too expensive.
2: Metal is not the safest material.
ad1815 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:38 AM   #8
carl0sian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkzor View Post
WHY not make the original apple chargers cheaper so people won't have to use fake ones?

Why not make iPHones free so everyone can also have them?
carl0sian is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:39 AM   #9
kcamfork
macrumors regular

Quote:
This. Why does a USB adapter have to cost $20? Same with the cable. $10 is much more reasonable and will still ensure a profit.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:39 AM   #10
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Why do people have to use fake ones? I have a hard time believing someone can afford an iPhone or iPad but can't afford a charger.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:40 AM   #11
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl0sian View Post
Why not make iPHones free so everyone can also have them?
cable few cent to produce != phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Why do people have to use fake ones? I have a hard time believing someone can afford an iPhone or iPad but can't afford a charger.
its a principal, i could afford a dom champagne but the $2.99 bottle at aldi tastes just as good.

im not spending 30 bucks on a cable
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:40 AM   #12
pirg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
beware of amazon as well, they sell multiple 3rd party adapters under the "original part" name which I am always amazed is even allowed.

i bought one of these by mistake once and the wire was already all out in the open without the plastic covering it up after one day of use
Very true, I was looking for a replacement battery for my android from Amazon and it said oem in the description. I read reviews and it's a cheap knockoff. I don't get how they're allowed to do that either. There are even reviews with people saying the same thing happened to them on Amazon but not realizing until after they ordered and received the product
pirg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:42 AM   #13
carl0sian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Cheap cables = cheap to produce

Good cables = bit more expensive

you can't compare genuine Apple accessories to the cheap knock off ones...quality is way different.
carl0sian is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:43 AM   #14
PhamQu
macrumors newbie

My best wishes to the families, it is always sad to lose a life. However, I can't help but have the thought that Apple's PR team jumped at this opportunity to encourage more people to buy their authentic accessories.
It's true, you can't put a price on safety. But $30 compared to ~$5 (USD) is enough to make you think twice.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y510P, 16gb RAM, SLI 2gb 750m Nvidia graphics
PhamQu is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #15
mumph
macrumors regular

Quote:
Er... Apple products come with a charger so if you buy a knockoff one then you get what you deserve.

To buy a genuine one it costs more because they have to be put through tests and be approved for use etc. i.e. it costs more to get them to market, but at least they won't kill you.

Also my bro bought a cheap one and it wouldnt charge anything. Because both the wire and the plug part were crap and I didnt know he had bought a cheap one I thought it was my plug socket not working and fitted a new one only to find it was the dodgy cable he bought for £3.
mumph is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #16
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:

you can't compare genuine Apple accessories to the cheap knock off ones...quality is way different.
no one asked apple to invent a cable that includes its own ram and chip set which theyve only done to make even more money in the first place

the old one worked just fine or make it USB 3 at least
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:

its a principal, i could afford a dom champagne but the $2.99 bottle at aldi tastes just as good.

im not spending 30 bucks on a cable
OK but that's not the same as having to use a 3rd party accessory. You don't have to, you chose to. Also there are legit 3rd party options that are cheaper than Apple so its not a case of only two options - Apple or unsafe.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:47 AM   #18
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Just cuz you can afford an iphone doesn't mean you don't want to save some money on something as simple as a cable. I for one would not care where the cable has come from as long as it works and set at a reasonable price. There is no way in hell it's so expensive to produce that they couldn't sell it at half the cost. We KNOW it's overpriced, because all the other accessories are overpriced too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumph View Post
Er... Apple products come with a charger so if you buy a knockoff one then you get what you deserve.

To buy a genuine one it costs more because they have to be put through tests and be approved for use etc. i.e. it costs more to get them to market, but at least they won't kill you.

Also my bro bought a cheap one and it wouldnt charge anything. Because both the wire and the plug part were crap and I didnt know he had bought a cheap one I thought it was my plug socket not working and fitted a new one only to find it was the dodgy cable he bought for £3.
Omg you cannot be serious. Do you really believe that's the reason it's so expensive. This is Apple, my friend. Everything there is overpriced. I love their products but they are def. overpriced.
appleisking is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:48 AM   #19
NATO
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I agree with you, but there comes the point of diminishing returns where a $5 charger might be rubbish quality, a $10 one might be good quality but then Apple would happily charge $30 for something equivalent to the $10 one.

It's the same with cables, beyond a certain point it's just pure profit, the quality doesn't scale up any further.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:49 AM   #20
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumph View Post

No you don't. Unless you're suggesting you deserve to die just cuz you don't wanna be ripped off. Also, if I have a car, I want a cable there all the time, so there's a reason to have an extra one. At the same time, spending 30 bucks to do that.... No way. The solution is to get a cheaper one from a trustworthy manufacturer. That's what many people do I imagine.
appleisking is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:49 AM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
no one asked apple to invent a cable that includes its own ram and chip set which theyve only done to make even more money in the first place

the old one worked just fine
Yeah I'm sure Apple engineers spend time and r&d on that just so they can make more money on accessories. I'm sure Tim Cook walked in to Bob Mansfield's office and told him to do whatever he has to so Apple can charge more for a lightning cable.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:50 AM   #22
spyder0109
macrumors newbie

Quote:
next what do you want - why not make the original iphone cheaper so that people wont have to use a fake one (android)?

thats non-sensical to say the least - good things come at price. And, if someone can buy an iPhone then the person can buy an original charger (that does not risk his/her life)
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #23
UnfetteredMind
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhamQu View Post
My best wishes to the families, it is always sad to lose a life. However, I can't help but have the thought that Apple's PR team jumped at this opportunity to encourage more people to buy their authentic accessories.
It's true, you can't put a price on safety. But $30 compared to ~$5 (USD) is enough to make you think twice.
My life is worth more than $25 to me. Enough to make you think twice.

As someone else said, there are quality third party products (UL approved, etc) that lie somewhere in between Apple's and the cheapest of crap from China or other locations that may kill you. In the end, it's up to you to choose. Choose wisely.
UnfetteredMind is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #24
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

After two electric shock incidents involving the iPhone in China, Apple has added a special page*[Google translation, via The Next Web]*to its Chinese website informing consumers about the identification and use of genuine USB power adapters for the iPad and iPhone.

The page includes a message about Apple's continued dedication to consumer safety and testing. It also includes diagrams for identifying genuine power adapters for products that use the new Lightning connector and those that use the legacy 30-pin connector.Last week, a Chinese man was left in a coma after receiving an electric shock while charging his iPhone 4, an incident which followed the death of a Chinese woman under similar circumstances. Both incidents apparently involved the use of unauthorized third-party adapters.

Article Link: Apple Instructs Chinese Users on Identification and Use of Genuine Apple Power Adapters
When is Macrumors going to post CORRECT Translation links - http://translate.google.com/translat...er-adapters%2F
Old Jul 25, 2013, 09:51 AM   #25
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Apple could drop the price to £1 a charger and the knock offs would still be being brought out 50p cheaper.

You cant compete on price with counterfeit products and a lot of people will always go for the cheaper option.
Kissaragi is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion