Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:36 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Ashton Kutcher Talks More About Playing the Role of Steve Jobs

Last week, Ashton Kutcher took to Quora to explain some of the reasons why he decided to take on the role of Steve Jobs in the upcoming film JOBS, noting his admiration for Jobs, the challenge of the role, and his interest in the convergence of technology and entertainment.

With the film set for wide release on August 16, Kutcher is now beginning to hit the publicity circuit to talk about the film. He appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno last night, where he discussed how he missed a chance to meet Steve Jobs six months before Jobs' death and how regret over that decision played a part in his decision to portray Jobs.

Kutcher also sat down with The Verge for a wide-ranging interview including some discussion of his portrayal of Jobs. In the interview, Kutcher describes how he felt almost compelled to take on the role of Jobs out of love for the Apple co-founder. Kutcher felt that if anyone was going to "screw it up", it should be someone should be someone who cared for Jobs.
Quote:
To prepare for the role, Kutcher assembled a 15-hour SoundCloud compilation of Jobs' speaking voice, including both public presentations and more candid recordings that captured his habits outside of public life. "There were two versions of him, and I got this from a lot of friends of his that I talked to," Kutcher said. "There was the guy who went on stage and presented things, and then there was the guy who was in the boardroom, who was working on a product, who was having an intimate conversation. And I tried to find little snippets of stuff where he wasn't aware that he was being recorded or speeches that he didn't think anyone was going to hear, so I could get a little more of who he honestly was."
The relevant portion of the interview begins roughly 11:30 into the video.

Article Link: Ashton Kutcher Talks More About Playing the Role of Steve Jobs
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502

Queue all the "OMG Ashton is terrible" comments. Overall it seems he took the role very seriously and seems to have done a good job with it from the trailer.
GuitarDTO is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
GSPice
macrumors 68000

Why is it that some people just look and sound irritatingly dumb? I guess it's not a fair judgement, but Kutcher doesn't impress me at all.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDTO View Post
Queue all the "OMG Ashton is terrible" comments. Overall it seems he took the role very seriously and seems to have done a good job with it from the trailer.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Seriously, no one cares!

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Seriously, no one cares!
Agreed.

This shouldn't even be on MacRumors.
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:43 AM   #6
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post
Why is it that some people just look and sound irritatingly dumb? I guess it's not a fair judgement, but Kutcher doesn't impress me at all.

----------

In this case, it all goes back to his role in That 70's show. People just can't shake it.
GuitarDTO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:44 AM   #7
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I feel as though either the media or his PR agency are really throwing him around as though he's making the next big movie about the resurrection of JC or some **** like that. Seriously, how many times does the public need to be informed that he is talking about his role again? Talk about milking it.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8
AbblePC
macrumors member

The all new iPhone

It will be nice to see Ashton hold something other than a Nikon in his hand, at least for the duration of the movie.
AbblePC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:46 AM   #9
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPice View Post

----------

I agree. Always felt that way about Cameron Diaz. People say its because he's typecasted from his 70s Show role but others have played dumb before and seem to be part of the joke. I see this guy and just think damn! He got the looks and his twin got the smarts.
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #10
roadbloc
macrumors 604

He still can't act.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #11
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular

They would have been better off licensing Pirates of Silicon Valley from TNT and releasing it in theaters.

Kutcher must be really pulling some strings in the media to get this publicized. I'm sure after all these years he's got some contacts...
thekingofnerds is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:48 AM   #12
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
I for one like Kutcher a lot and think he is well suited for this role. But if you want to jump on the "omgz mainstream=bad and I'm so above it" bandwagon go ahead.
likemyorbs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #13
Tastic Bycrom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Agreed.

Missing a /sarcasm tag? This article is still going to have 100+ comments on it
Tastic Bycrom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:50 AM   #14
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
He still can't act.
Says someone who's made $0 acting in his lifetime.
likemyorbs is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Roessnakhan
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Agreed.

I believe that's for the site owners to decide.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #16
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Quote:
Agreed.

Absolutely. A film about Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, has absolutely no place on a rumour site called 'MacRumors'.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Tastic Bycrom
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
I feel as though either the media or his PR agency are really throwing him around as though he's making the next big movie about the resurrection of JC or some **** like that. Seriously, how many times does the public need to be informed that he is talking about his role again? Talk about milking it.
I bet fewer people than you think know about this movie. Also, this is what most actors do when movies come out. They have talk show interviews.
Tastic Bycrom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #18
LillieDesigns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Agreed.

I gotta respectively disagree. I'm really looking forward to the film and appreciate the continued coverage. This movie gets a lot of flack and no one has even seen it yet. I'm sure the 'bigger' film will be incredible, but this looks entertaining and it's always fun to see Jobs come 'back to life'.

LillieDesigns is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #19
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

He was fairly articulate in the interview and seemed a lot more tolerable in that specific trailer. It was nice to see a clip that didn't make Ashton out to be a caricature of Jobs, and I can actually say that I'm looking forward to seeing the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDog3 View Post
Seriously, no one cares!
Oops. I do.
AngerDanger is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:53 AM   #20
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

He's doing a pretty bang up job.
PeterQVenkman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
Says someone who's made $0 acting in his lifetime.
You don't know that. That aside, even if I had made nothing from it, does that mean I'm not allowed an opinion?

Get real.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:56 AM   #22
LillieDesigns
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCubsGo View Post
That's what pretty much every actor does for a movie about someone they are taking a role as. They talk about the process because that's what people are interested in. When movies are about other stuff, they usually get asked 'How was it kissing so and so on screen' ... I prefer this type of interview and actors who do the research
LillieDesigns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:56 AM   #23
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The relevant portion of the interview begins roughly 11:30 into the video.
Thank you.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #24
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

I'm really impressed with how seriously he took the role.

I just hope that when I watch the movie (and of course I will), I'll be able to get past his voice/my prior knowledge of Kutcher. Not that I have anything against the guy, but his roles have reinforced him as a specific type of person, and Steve Jobs is far from that personality.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #25
pgifford
macrumors member

Quote:
There were two versions of him, and I got this from a lot of friends of his that I talked to," Kutcher said. "There was the guy who went on stage and presented things, and then there was the guy who was in the boardroom, who was working on a product, who was having an intimate conversation.
Isn't this true for everyone, or at least most people? Having public and private personas?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion