Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:59 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's iPhone Activation Servers Experiencing Extended Outage

While Apple is still working to bring its developer site back up a week after taken offline due to a security breach, the company appears to be experiencing another problem with its systems today, as a number of MacRumors readers have reported they are unable to activate their new iPhones. Other reports are showing up on Twitter as the problems continue.

According to one tipster who called Apple about the problem, the company's activation servers are currently down. Another AT&T employee has told MacRumors that AT&T has also confirmed the outage, and posts in Apple's discussion forum offer similar information.

Reports of problems began surfacing nearly three hours ago, and there is no word yet on when users can expect the issue to be fully resolved.

Article Link: Apple's iPhone Activation Servers Experiencing Extended Outage
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #2
Raftysworld
macrumors 6502

This is outrageous
Raftysworld is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:01 PM   #3
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Wow... when it rains, it pours...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:01 PM   #4
Steve.P.JobsFan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
This is outrageous
It's technology. Technology is known to occasionally have a problem and occasionally break.

As long as they get it running again within a reasonable amount of time, there is nothing "outrageous" about this. Relax!
Steve.P.JobsFan is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:03 PM   #5
goodcow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This is outrageous
Outrageous would be PSN going down for a month after it got hacked.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Gurubarry
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.P.JobsFan View Post
It's technology. Technology is known to occasionally have a problem and occasionally break.

As long as they get it running again within a reasonable amount of time, there is nothing "outrageous" about this. Relax!
Thank goodness for those reassuring words...thought my $500 was for a phone service ...mdr
Gurubarry is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
This is outrageous
Outageous, more like.
126351 is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Barcode
macrumors newbie

The work around is to ask a store employee or anyone for a working sim use that to activate then put in your sim. Problem temp. solved.
Barcode is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:10 PM   #9
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Apple must be doing a lot of back end work. A guess a little transparency would be nice but then it wouldn't be Apple
ValSalva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:13 PM   #10
chrisrosemusic1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to chrisrosemusic1
I wouldn't be buying a new iPhone with only 3 months til the new one
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Skika
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurubarry View Post
Thank goodness for those reassuring words...thought my $500 was for a phone service ...mdr
So self entitled geeshh
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:14 PM   #12
NiKeZz
macrumors 6502

Well, wonder how much this will effect the sales of iPhones until it's fixed.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:14 PM   #13
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve.P.JobsFan View Post

The reason why Apple is letting down customers is because they hired people like you. Satisfied with failure. It's all good man!

If I bought an expensive phone and contract, and couldn't use it for days... well, that would be my last Apple product.

Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:16 PM   #14
klagermkii
macrumors member

A reminder of the downside of the glorious cloud future. If those servers are ever unavailable, you're not going to be restoring any reasonably modern iOS device (think it's 3GS or newer that needed a unique per-chip code for restoring).

It's nice to be able to pull out an old device and try it out again after a good few years (be it some old Mac or PowerBook or some kind of esoteric Psion 5mx). We're not going to have that with iOS at the point Apple decides it's too old to support.
klagermkii is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:16 PM   #15
spyguy10709
macrumors 6502a

#ThrowbackThursday to 2007, 2008, and 2009's iPhone launches.
spyguy10709 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:17 PM   #16
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

This.....

can spell more bad news for Apple, if not resolved swiftly. And growing discomfort and displeasure in consumer base of the poster child of Apple products. Can we seeing a somewhat coordinated effort or a system-wide failure capable to make crumble Apple....?.....

Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:17 PM   #17
MacMan1620
macrumors member

They should call this website macTrolling. The comments on here are ridiculous. It's a temporary server issue. Get over it people.
MacMan1620 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:18 PM   #18
Sodner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iChrist View Post
The reason why Apple is letting down customers is because they hired people like you. Satisfied with failure. It's all good man!

If I bought an expensive phone and contract, and couldn't use it for days... well, that would be my last Apple product.

Days? It's been a few hours.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:18 PM   #19
iAi
Banned

Apple is doomed.

I am surprised, it went this far lol.
iAi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:18 PM   #20
auero
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrosemusic1 View Post
I wouldn't be buying a new iPhone with only 3 months til the new one
Activation isn't only for new phones... It's used when replacing a phone and sometimes even restoring.
auero is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:21 PM   #21
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Quote:

So instead of trying to patch up all the holes, you would rather them just bring it up, have the system hacked again, and your personal info sold for malicious purposes. That would also be your last Apple product as well?
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Daalseth
macrumors 6502

Quote:

IMO the reason the world is so screwed up and litigious is people like you that don't understand that people are fallible, machines created by people are fallible, all things are fallible.

To demand and expect perfection just because you spent some money is absurd. It's just a recipe for disappointment. Stressing out because some machine is broken for a couple of hours is just silly. Now if it is still down tomorrow or through the weekend you'd have a point, but so far it's just one of those things.

Oh and I've been an IT manager with both corporate and government organizations for 20 years.
Daalseth is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #23
inlinevolvo
Banned

Could this be the rapture them folks were talkin bout?
inlinevolvo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:27 PM   #24
iPhone4Jay
macrumors member

Quote:

Days? Its been a couple hours...
iPhone4Jay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #25
Freida
macrumors 6502a

love the people that think only about themselves

here is a reminder to those who feel that this is unacceptable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwlM5CoPaDM
Freida is offline   14 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion