Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

optyks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2009
Hey guys.
I have a need to build, if possible, an Automator workflow that saves a batch of files with one extension to an older extension, preserving every other aspect.

For example, something like a workflow that takes MyExcelDoc.xlsx and changes it to MyExcelDoc.xls.

I have a user with hundreds of files that need to be converted to a previous format so the company they send the files to can use them. It's either build a workflow that can accomplish this or buy the previous software.

The software is Quark. We're running version 9, we need it to save in the extension that version 8.5.1 can utilize.
Let me know if you guys need more details. Thank you!

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
The software is Quark. We're running version 9, we need it to save in the extension that version 8.5.1 can utilize.
Let me know if you guys need more details. Thank you!

Then why did you use Excel as an example? In any case you can not just change the extensions, you need a Quark Automator action that does that. Some applications add domain specific actions to Automator, don't know about Quark but if you look in Automator you should see them there, if they exist.

If you have no such actions then there exist 3rd party actions that you can look for on the Internet.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Or open Quark's scripting dictionary in AppleScript Editor (File > Open Dictionary). That will show all the scriptable verbs (actions) and nouns (classes, objects).

Next step is to write a simple AppleScript that correctly converts one file. Test it. Make sure it works.

Then encapsulate the one-file conversion AppleScript into a workflow step, and construct a multiple-files loop around it. Test it with a small number of files.

If you've never constructed a workflow loop before, make a test workflow that does something simple in the loop, such as speaking the filename being worked on.

I mention all of these because you haven't described your programming experience, your experience at making workflows, or anything at all about your skills.

You haven't mentioned a timeframe or deadline for this workflow, either. It may be that the simplest approach is to buy the older version.

What have you tried?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.