Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to electronics buyback site Gazelle.com, while Google's newly introduced Nexus 7 has proven to be a popular upgrade choice for users who already own the current version of the tablet, it isn't attracting iPad owners.

The site told TechCrunch that after the new Nexus 7 was unveiled, there was a 333 percent increase in the number of Nexus 7 trade-ins compared to the same day last week, marking Gazelle's biggest Nexus 7 trade-in day to date. In the days ahead of Google's announcement, the site saw a 442 percent increase in the number of trade-ins.

newnexus7.jpg
The Nexus 7 trade-in activity spiked so high that it made up nearly a quarter of all trade-ins for non-iPad tablets since the site began accepting them earlier this year.

Wednesday, the day Google made its announcement, was also the biggest Nexus 7 trade-in day at Gazelle to date, beating the next biggest day by 380 percent. That previous record was set when the new Nexus 7 leaked on July 17, which clearly prompted early adopters to take advantage of a small head start ahead of the big reveal.
In comparison, Gazelle did not see any notable increase in iPad trade-ins during the Nexus 7 launch day, suggesting that the newly introduced tablet isn't as appealing to iPad owners. This is somewhat unsurprising given the "lock-in" that Apple's iOS ecosystem exhibits. During Tuesday's third quarter earnings call, Tim Cook spoke about Apple's efforts to get buyers into the iOS ecosystem, saying "the stickiness of the platform is huge and it's great for customers."

The updated Nexus 7 offers a number of impressive components that give it a leg up over Apple's own 7.9-inch iPad mini, including a 1.5GHz quad-core processor, 2GB of RAM, a nine hour battery life, and a $230 price tag.

Article Link: Google's New Nexus 7 Fails to Attract iPad Owners

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
This is kind of like a no **** response. Just like the new iPad is not going to attract a lot of nexus owners either.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I'm not surprised, however I'd also like to see some better stats than from a buyback company. For all we know their buyback prices were poor.

ridwan47

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
Google, Increase the frame rate of android and remove the lags. Then I'll be interested.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
If you are old nexus 7 owners you had to trade to new nexud 7 coz the old one is so ****ing laaaggggsss... after 6 months its a terrible tablet had to get new one.

SpamJunkie

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2003
I'm a huge Mac zealot, but it's only been 24 hours since the new Nexus 7 was release! This is nowhere near enough time to make such a claim. I find this headline a bit embarassing; to anyone but us Apple fanboys it's obviously exceptionally biased :(

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
in reality, it's sad that the ipad has no actual competition

The iPhone doesn't have any actual competition either, but the media & Samsung would like you to believe otherwise.

Specs don't matter when it comes to user experience and these other companies have always based their success on touting specs and nothing more.

The company that blended design/tech has the upper hand and will have it for a long time...that company being Apple.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I don't think trade-ins are a good way to determine demand... very slow rumor day I take it? lol

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Would you like a bit of screen with that bezel?

Yah that is ridiculous. Meanwhile Apple is going completely opposite with even less bezel coming up.

Shows you the direction of the designers huh?

Stack Overflow

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
How is iOS's "stickyness" great for customers?

Because it's 100% voluntary (i.e., no monopoly or legal requirement to run iOS). And as a result, if it wasn't good for consumers, they wouldn't want it and the "stickiness" wouldn't be there.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
No surprise that the 1st gen owners want to trade up given how bad the 1st gen apparently runs after awhile. The bigger question is why anyone would expect this new model to be much better?

I get why some people choose certain Android phones over the iPhone, but as far as the iPad is concerned, it's clearly in a league of it's own. You've got to be very cheap or very biased to go in another direction, and either way, you're almost certainly bound to wind up with a profoundly compromised experience.

When I buy most other electronics, I tend to feel like I'm pissing my money away, because so many companies just sell junk that is practically designed to break after a year. That is how I would feel if I was buying a Nexus tablet at this point. I never feel that way when I buy Apple products. Apple's far from perfect and have plenty of things to continue to improve on, but I've got an iBook (the laptop, remember those?) that took a 4 foot fall while open onto a slate floor, losing it's screen in the process, but I can plug a monitor into it and the system still works, fairly well given it's age, specs and "the fall." And while I've bought every new iPad, I still have a 1st generation that resides on a coffee table, and while it won't run new games, it does most everything else still quite well.

I could go on, but the bottom line is, while certain Apple products carry a premium price, you still wind up with far more bang for your buck, and this is perhaps more true for the iPad than any Apple product.

epmatsw

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2007
Pretty sure Android 4.2 Jellybean isn't laggy...I mean it was great when I tried it.

It is on my Nexus 7 at least. I use it and an iPhone 5 on a daily basis, and the Nexus is noticeably less smooth during scrolls and animations. However, I would love to get my hands on the new one and see how it manages :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.