About This Mac "Storage" Inaccurate - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jul 25, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Aznboy1993
macrumors newbie

About This Mac "Storage" Inaccurate

I recently formatted my MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 and restored from the most recent Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant. Upon getting everything all setup I came across this issue with "About This Mac." The actual space taken and space free is correct, but the space division is wrong. The graph shows everything as "Other," but the numbers shows that "Movies" and "Photos" comprise of some huge (truncated) amount of who knows what.

I have tried clearing and redoing the "Spotlight" cache both via the GUI as stated via Apple's support site and some Terminal commands. No dice either way. I know this is a very minor issue that does not affect system performance or stability, but the OCD side of me is really itching to solve this problem. Anyone have any ideas?
Aznboy1993 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:03 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

When you say "clearing and redoing the Spotlight cache", do you mean reindexing the drive, or something else?
What exactly did you do, i.e. what commands did you type; or what options in what utility did you use?
You are right that this is usually a Spotlight error, but there may also be a bug in ML (look at the size of the Movies and Photos.)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:32 AM   #3
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

I also have this bug where my "Movies" section shows 18.45 EB!!!

I have tried doing the Spotlight fix by adding and removing my Macintosh HD to re-index spotlight but it was still screwed up
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:34 AM   #4
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjeanzzz View Post
I also have this bug where my "Movies" section shows 18.45 EB!!!

I have tried doing the Spotlight fix by adding and removing my Macintosh HD to re-index spotlight but it was still screwed up
18.45EB of movies shown

Try re-indexing your drive:
Spotlight: How to re-index folders or volumes
If that fails to index, enter the following command in Terminal:
sudo mdutil -i on "/Volumes/your drive name"
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:37 AM   #5
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a

I've seen that thread and tried the solution everyone recommends, it didn't seem to work. My spotlight re-indexed for 20 minutes and when I checked again it was still 18.45 EB
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:38 AM   #6
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjeanzzz View Post
I've seen that thread and tried the solution everyone recommends, it didn't seem to work. My spotlight re-indexed for 20 minutes and when I checked again it was still 18.45 EB
Did you try the Terminal command I posted?
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:20 AM   #7
Aznboy1993
macrumors newbie

Yeah I have tried literally everything. Before I posted this thread asking for help I scoured the internet best I could to see what I could do to rectify the problem. Sadly, no dice.

I have tried this. Nothing. Even the follow Terminal commands:

sudo mdutil -E / (deletes Spotlight cache and reindexes)
sudo mdutil -a -i on (even tried to make sure it's on)
sudo mdutil -a -i off (tried to turn it off and back on again)

Nothing!!! I was literally gonna pull my hair out at that point...I'm thinking about doing another reformat and not using Migration Assistant (maybe something got borked whilst transferring) and manually recover my data/settings. Ugh...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznboy1993 View Post
Yeah I have tried literally everything.
Try a command-r boot to recovery, then start Disk Utility and run a repair disk on the main drive.

This command (below) you mentioned should reindex Spotlight for all mounted volumes, which usually fixes this, so you have something else going on.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:32 PM   #9
Aznboy1993
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Try a command-r boot to recovery, then start Disk Utility and run a repair disk on the main drive.

This command (below) you mentioned should reindex Spotlight for all mounted volumes, which usually fixes this, so you have something else going on.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /
Yup I have tried to do both a disk repair and permission repair (to both the disk itself and my OS X volume) using OS X Recovery. No joy. I don't know what else to do.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion