Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
What do you think of upgrading the ram in a late 2006 iMac Core 2 Duo?

It currently has 1GB.

Playing a 720p h264 video with 6 Firefox tabs only uses like 35% CPU usage, but eats over 900mb of ram.

A lot of time's things can go sluggish and the beach ball of death appears!

I believe these iMac's could only use 3GB of ram.

This is also related to my Lion topic because I would like to upgrade if more ram helps.

On PC's I found was 4gb plenty for anything, even gaming. Certain triple A titles used 6gb+ but it's not like this Mac can even play those. This is more related to a smooth computing experience overall.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
For you, yes. If you do go to 3GB, make sure your iMac can support it. Some white Intell iMacs can only support up to 2GB without a firmware flash. You can stick 4GB in it, but only 3.3GB will be usable.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Well my model is iMac5,1 and I looked it up on wikipedia and your right it says 3GB.

You think 3GB is enough for a smooth Lion experience?

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Too bad I guess I have to stick with Snow Leopard.

Where can I find cheap DDR2 because OWC is expensive.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You could try eBay for a single 2GB stick. If you have Lion, you should give it a try on that iMac once upgraded. You may find its speed and responsiveness adequate.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Well my model is iMac5,1 and I looked it up on wikipedia and your right it says 3GB.

You think 3GB is enough for a smooth Lion experience?

I run Lion with 4GB on that class of iMac, it's not bad, but I upgraded the HDD to SSD.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A single 2GB stick would work fine. You'd end up with 2.5GB. Then if you feel like putting more money into it, you can get another 1 or 2GB stick for it.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Yes I know an SSD would be great even on SATA 2. Until this Hard Drive fails though, I don't think I will switch. Mainly because opening up this iMac is a pain.

I checked eBay and the prices are awful. Like $50-80 then with $40-80 shipping. Ram with only 1 year warranty as well, where as known companies offer lifetime.

Looks like OWC has a 4GB Kit for $62.99 not including shipping and tax. Says it has a Lifetime warranty and reviews are good.

What do you guys think?

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Sometimes you have to look pretty hard on ebay for the right ram. They might not necessarily say it's for an imac or macbook.

I got ram for my 2006 imac from a seller called laptopaid. Right now they have this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hynix-Memor...2731848?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item5659243248

A quick google shows that ram model number (HYMP125S64CP8-Y5) being sold for macs.

Anyway, point is, look hard and research because people selling mac specific ram will sometime try to gouge you.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Thank you for your link. I was browsing eBay.ca since I am in Canada and didn't come up with great results.

I did find this putting in HYMP125S64CP8-Y5.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/KINGSTONE-2G...6851552?pt=US_Memory_RAM_&hash=item3cd1bcd660

$19 for 1x2GB stick. Cheaper than OWC. Not as cheap as yours.

The thing about these modules is the warranty. I see nothing about it... Only a 60 day guarantee on yours? So should I assume since they are used no warranty at all?

I checked some sites like Newegg and NCIX and the prices were a rip off. DDR2 is not easy to find at cheap prices brand new. Amazon had it for $27 for 1x2GB and $3.99 shipping then I find out they don't ship to Canada after adding to cart.

ickystay

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
Maybe I'm lucky. In the 17 years I have been using macs, I've never had a ram stick go bad. If it was good when I first put it in, it stayed good until I moved on to another computer. Knock on wood.

As for the link I posted, you'd have to ask them about how well they stand behind their merchandise.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
You get what you pay for, getting it for $40 from an unknown vs $60 or so for a good brand name doesn't really save you much in the long run, especially if it fails.

I just sold my late '06 iMac running Lion with 3gb and an SSD, and the SSD upgrade made it a very usable machine for web browsing and some web design and development. Yes, it's a pain to upgrade but very, very worth it.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
You got me wrong. These Kingston modules you posted from ebay.ca do have lifetime warranty as well. It's manufacturer warranty, not the seller.
Every time I exchanged dead Kingston modules at my local Kingston Service Centre they didn't even ask about proof of purchase. Just needed to fill RMA ticket and they gave me new sticks within few days.
Last time I got 32GB Data Traveler G2 for 512MB stick, because they didn't have PC133 RAM no more.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
Right, but I am not familiar with Hynix. I know they are one of the biggest ram manufacturers - but I have always gone with Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, Mushkin, etc.

Some Kingston ram has only 5 year warranty where as some DDR2 I still have is Lifetime.

Anyway they don't ship to Canada so that one I linked is useless.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I have used laptopaid a few times over the years and have always found them easy to deal with and they do deliver to Canada.
'mikew103' was the seller of the Kingston ram. The Hynix was from laptopaid.

It doesn't look like they have warranty though.

So like $45 after shipping / tax with no warranty or...

$65 after tax with Lifetime from OWC.

Both will take like 2-3 weeks to ship.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.