Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sinktip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
I just received a "free" late 2008 15" MBP, loaded with tons of software. This is all stuff I will never use and a bunch of proprietary and IP type corporate info. The Model ID is MacBookPro4,1 with a 2.4GHz processor and 4GB ram.
I want to reformat the drive as it has never been done since she's had it (since new).
Problem is, we do not have the factory discs. I do have a MacBook5,1 It is a MBP 13" Late 2008 and I have the discs with this.
I am unsure if the OS will work on the 15". Can anyone recommend whether the 15" 4,1 will run the 13" 5,1 OS or do I have to find a more generic version?
Thanks,
SinkTip

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Try booting the disk first. The disks that come with Mac's tend to be model specific. When you boot up the disk, before you get to the part where you actually do the install it will pop up a message saying it is not compatible. If you don't get that message then you are good to go.

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
You came by the machine, and the operating system installed on it, legally. Thus you have a license to use that operating system. So click on the apple menu (upper left corner of your screen), click on 'about this Mac', and see which version of OS X you're running. Then get on the pirate bay or another torrent site and search for either a retail version of that particular version of OS X, or a model specific version. Download it, burn it to disc, and reinstall. As you have a legal right to use that version of OS X, it is not stealing.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
You came by the machine, and the operating system installed on it, legally. Thus you have a license to use that operating system. So click on the apple menu (upper left corner of your screen), click on 'about this Mac', and see which version of OS X you're running. Then get on the pirate bay or another torrent site and search for either a retail version of that particular version of OS X, or a model specific version. Download it, burn it to disc, and reinstall. As you have a legal right to use that version of OS X, it is not stealing.

No, but you stand a chance of installing whatever exploit that was chosen to be bundled with it your way.

mac82

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
No, but you stand a chance of installing whatever exploit that was chosen to be bundled with it your way.

Lots of people upload disk images they claim to be clean. Compare one to the other. If you find several that have identical file sizes, chances are they really are clean. I'd be a bit more concerned on the Windows side.

jdevenberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011

Pirate Bay has prefered/aproved/trusted accounts. If you are downloading from one of them and it has a lot of seeders, you are likely to be just fine.

Punjabi

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
Pirate Bay has prefered/aproved/trusted accounts. If you are downloading from one of them and it has a lot of seeders, you are likely to be just fine.

from experience I'd recommend the contrary; if you want your OS clean and legit; spend the $20 or $30 for it! most uploaded software is uploaded for another reason than the 'goodness of their heart' ;)

sinktip

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks everyone, I will give it a try with the discs from the 5,1 and let you all know the outcome. If it doesn't work then I will buck up and get it from Apple.
SinkTip

jdevenberg

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
from experience I'd recommend the contrary; if you want your OS clean and legit; spend the $20 or $30 for it! most uploaded software is uploaded for another reason than the 'goodness of their heart' ;)

That is actually my first recomendation. I meant if you insist on going with the free download route, at least make sure you are downloading from someone who is supposedly reputable and has a lot of downloads already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.