Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Marketing research firm Harris Interactive has awarded Apple the title of "Brand of the Year" in the categories of smartphones, tablets, and computers, as first reported by VentureBeat. The distinction comes after a poll asking 38,500+ Americans about the perceptions of their favorite brands, in which Apple was placed above other competitors such as Hewlett-Packard, Amazon, Samsung, and HTC.

apple_product_lineup.jpg
"Americans continue to give Apple brands strong ratings," says Manny Flores, Senior Vice President at Harris Interactive. "And while their Consumer Connection scores are strong within their respective categories, what really stands out is that in all three of the categories Apple brands are measured - Computer, Tablet and Mobile Phone - its Brand Momentum scores are in the top 30 of all 1,500 brands evaluated in the study, showing that consumers see this as a brand of the future.
These awards come after BBC reported about a survey done by marketing group Added Value (AV), who claimed that Apple's brand has become "less inspiring" among consumers.

Article Link: Apple Wins 'Brand of the Year' Awards in Smartphone, Tablet, and Computer Categories

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
Great for Apple, but I don't think polling "38,500+ Americans" is enough to award Apple "Brand of the Year", whether or not they deserve it. There are over 300 million people here in the US. Factors also include the age groups, the type of work they do, regions perhaps, etc. can they ask everyone? No, that's impossible. But for "awards" like this, there must be more participation.

Last edited:

PhamQu

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
FL, USA
Also, what about their iPod line up??
Apple's iPhone and Mac/MacBook line ups can be debated, as well as their iPad, to a lesser extent. But who even refers to an MP3 player as anything other than an iPod? When your product has become the household/common name for the entire "category" (such as Windex for window/surface cleaners), you know you're king in that department.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
only americans?? if they are patriots they will always vote for american brand...
i think what if this poll is taking in Asia?

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
Not just consumer products, Apple products can win Oscar if nominated! That's the beauty of Apple. :apple:

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I just spent a long time trying to get channel artwork put up on YouTube properly, and I can now say that Apple deserves the "Brand of the Year" award for video sharing sites more than Google does at this point... even though they don't have one. They've ruined YouTube :mad:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Great for Apple, but I don't think polling "38,500+ Americans" is enough to award Apple "Brand of the Year", whether or not they deserve it. There are over 300 million people here in the US. Factors also include the age groups, the type of work they do, regions perhaps, etc. can they ask everyone? No, that's impossible. But for "awards" like this, there must be more participation.

If it was a couple of hundred, I would have agreed with you, but statistically speaking, 38,500 Americans is, for the US anyway, a significant sample. I've seen political polls that were being touted as being fairly representative, with fewer people asked their preference, than the 38,500 in this poll.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
If it was a couple of hundred, I would have agreed with you, but statistically speaking, 38,500 Americans is, for the US anyway, a significant sample. I've seen political polls that were being touted as being fairly representative, with fewer people asked their preference, than the 38,500 in this poll.

I too think they should have sampled more but do agree that there are surveys that sample much less.
Have you seen those adverts for skincare products, "87% of 218 women reported improvement in 90 days"?
Also, as to the BBC's report, less inspiring doesn't mean uninspiring.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I agree with that.

However I have had my head stuck so far up Apples Ecosystem for so long, I cannot see the daylight anywhere else... :D

Only owned Mac computers since 1996.
Only owned iPod's since 2004.
Only owned iPhones since 2007.

Seriously, if there was a better alternative Ecosystem of products, I would probably know about it and cross over. Pretty much in the same way I ditched PC in 1996 and Nokia in 2007.

I am not a Samsung hater. I actually like some of what they do, they just do not work for me right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.