Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:24 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

L.A. Unified School District to Give Students 640,000 iPads by End of 2014

The Los Angeles Unified School District is planning to give all of its students free iPads by the end of 2014 as a part of a program launched by the district, reports CITEWorld. The program, which will see a total of 640,000 iPads handed out, is part of an initiative to improve education for students and to ready them for the workforce by enhancing their technological skills and comprehension.

The district plans to distribute 31,000 iPads to 49 of its 1,124 K-12 schools to begin with during the first phase of the program, with plans to begin distributing the rest throughout 2013 and 2014. Each of the iPads will come preloaded with digital textbooks from educational books publisher Pearson.
Quote:
"The most important thing is to try to prepare the kids for the technology they are going to face when they are going to graduate," said Hovatter. "This is phase one, a mix of high school, middle school, and elementary students. We're targeting kids who most likely don't have their own computers or laptops or iPads. Their only exposure to computers now is going to be in their schools."
Apple has long had a heavy focus on the educational market, discounting its product lineup for students. Last month, Apple announced that it had been awarded a $30 million deal from the LA Unified School District to bring iPads into its schools and the company has also been in talks about a huge educational deal with the Turkish President.

Article Link: L.A. Unified School District to Give Students 640,000 iPads by End of 2014
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:38 AM   #2
afawcett
macrumors member

huge fat waste. still, wish i got an ipad. wish i got anything.
afawcett is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:51 AM   #3
komodrone
Banned

all the students are going to install snapchat.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:21 AM   #4
Davejprince
macrumors regular

An iPad is simply not good for a school.
Real paper textbooks > displays.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:32 AM   #5
irDigital0l

Man I remember when my school got iPads...everyone just played with Photobooth.

lol
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:58 AM   #6
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Wonder if these iPads are going to get free engraving? (with the LAUS logo, of course)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:02 AM   #7
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

What is a kid going to do with 31,000 iPads?

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:16 AM   #8
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Man I remember when my school got iPads...everyone just played with Photobooth.

lol
Haha, that's what happened when my old primary school got MacBooks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejprince View Post
Why? Most other industries are being computerised... Why not education?
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:19 AM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

When I was in school, we were given stuff, too. A stone tablet, hammer and chisel to take note. Pretty advanced stuff for us!

It seems to have changed a little over time...
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:35 AM   #10
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Oh why oh why oh why doesn't the LAUSD hire more teachers and improve the current state of the schools in the district, especially in the poorest of areas, instead of buying 31,000 iPads?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for technology and the future but I also believe in strengthening the foundations of academia before a top-down approach.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
When I was in school, we were given stuff, too. A stone tablet, hammer and chisel to take note. Pretty advanced stuff for us!

Stone tablet huh? Did you go to school with Moses?
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:40 AM   #11
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
Stone tablet huh? Did you go to school with Moses?
That guy with the beard? He was a year behind me in school.

Not sure if he made anything of himself...he was a cut-up in school.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:44 AM   #12
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Oh why oh why oh why doesn't the LAUSD hire more teachers and improve the current state of the schools in the district, especially in the poorest of areas, instead of buying 31,000 iPads?
They can't. Not with this money. It came from a bond that was voted on by the tax payers and has very firm restrictions on how it can be used. Hiring teachers isn't one of those approved uses. To change it would require a whole new vote etc.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:49 AM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I have two things to say about that:

1 - It's ludicrously expensive. Employees in general are expensive - they're the most expensive thing most businesses have. Salaried unionized government employees are in an expense category all to themselves - for every teacher they hire that's 100+ undiscounted annual iPads they can't get. They could afford maybe 310 teacher-years if they chose not to get the iPads.

2 - It's inefficient. Most teachers can handle class sizes of 30-40 students - I seriously doubt that they have class sizes larger than that right now, given most schools aim to have 12-18 students per teacher.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:01 AM   #14
litmag01
macrumors regular

Lol!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
all the students are going to install snapchat.
It's a good thing Apple Configurator exists.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:12 AM   #15
Val-kyrie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

At least you were give your stone tablet. We had to make ours, and that was after we bought the hammer and chisel from the school.
Val-kyrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:12 AM   #16
bniu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejprince View Post
The year is 2013, time for next generation textbooks! I hated those physical textbooks back in the day, so heavy and so useless!
bniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I'm sorry, but I have two things to say about that:
2 - It's inefficient. Most teachers can handle class sizes of 30-40 students - I seriously doubt that they have class sizes larger than that right now, given most schools aim to have 12-18 students per teacher.
I'm assuming you are a teacher, or the assertion highlighted might be considered ridiculous.

Giving those students in need of some additional attention is impossible in a class of 30-40 students.

Perhaps the teachers you know feel a class size of 30-40 is a good size...my ex, who was a teacher, and the other teachers I know say different. Giving the kids enough individual attention requires a class size just a bit smaller than 30-40.

I believe there is more than enough research to support the assertion that a class size of 30-40 is way too large for effective teaching.

(Since I don't have a research source for that statement, take it for what it's worth.)
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Desterado
macrumors newbie

Let's keep something in mind. They're giving them to students who don't have computers at home?

When they say give, are they letting these students take these home? If so, this is a terrible idea.

Students who cannot afford computers at home are probably the poorest and least likely to treat this property with care.
Desterado is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:27 AM   #19
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
They can't. Not with this money. It came from a bond that was voted on by the tax payers and has very firm restrictions on how it can be used. Hiring teachers isn't one of those approved uses. To change it would require a whole new vote etc.

So this is where 0.01% of the county tax I pay goes?

----------

Quote:
That guy with the beard? He was a year behind me in school.

Not sure if he made anything of himself...he was a cut-up in school.

Perhaps this is what he looked like in his youth....

----------

Quote:
I'm assuming you are a teacher, or the assertion highlighted might be considered ridiculous.

Giving those students in need of some additional attention is impossible in a class of 30-40 students.

Perhaps the teachers you know feel a class size of 30-40 is a good size...my ex, who was a teacher, and the other teachers I know say different. Giving the kids enough individual attention requires a class size just a bit smaller than 30-40.

I believe there is more than enough research to support the assertion that a class size of 30-40 is way too large for effective teaching.

(Since I don't have a research source for that statement, take it for what it's worth.)

I hear the same thing from the primary education teachers I know, some say 25 is too much to handle.
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:31 AM   #20
Johnny Vegas
macrumors member

Say what you will about a textbook, but at least it's durable, relatively inexpensive, can be used outside, and not a target for thieves.
Johnny Vegas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:57 AM   #21
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Education has always been very important to Apple. Get them while they are young, just like the tobacco companies used to

But seriously, how is this anything but good news?
ValSalva is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:28 AM   #22
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by litmag01 View Post
It's a good thing Apple Configurator exists.
Exactly. The assumption here is that LAUSD is just going to hand them to the kids and let them have at it. But you can bet they will still be district property and thus restricted with firm rules about getting expelled for damaging school property if you try to restore it etc to get around said restrictions.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:44 AM   #23
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I've read some interesting research that suggeste that the students per teacher metric is flawed for the very reason you brought up; it doesn't contemplate individualized attention.

For example, (1) the traditional model x random students per one single teacher; say 20 students for simplicity.

However, (2) some new teaching methods use 100 students per four specialized teachers; each teacher having a different specialty. The theory goes that if a certain student needs more attention in a certain area, he/she will be more successful if they see a teacher who is a specializes in that area or for that problem; which extrapolated out results in a more efficient environment.

So both result in 20 students per teacher; but really the two situations are vastly different.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:48 AM   #24
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

I would imagine most kids already have an iPad in their home. This will be a good excuse to fool around in and outside of class under the excuse of "reading textbooks". I hope when they say "give" they mean lend to each student during class time and not give to them to keep for free. What a waste of resources.
myrtlebee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:18 AM   #25
ps45
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrtlebee View Post
I would imagine most kids already have an iPad in their home...
You are kidding right? People can't really be that sheltered, and haven't been since Marie Antoinette!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desterado View Post
Let's keep something in mind. They're giving them to students who don't have computers at home?

When they say give, are they letting these students take these home? If so, this is a terrible idea.

Students who cannot afford computers at home are probably the poorest and least likely to treat this property with care.
Wow, what an obnoxious comment. So you'd be happier if the program restricted access to those who already own a computer? Your disdain for those kids who happen to be born poor... mindblowing. And ignorant.

I don't think this is money well spent, but not because it's being targeted to help those in need, just because I think it should be spent on other things.
ps45 is offline   4 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion