Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I don't know what just happened but I synced my iPhone with my iTunes and all contacts were gone. I didn't check anything and they just disappeared. How do I retrieve them for example from iCloud?

zmagik

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know what just happened but I synced my iPhone with my iTunes and all contacts were gone. I didn't check anything and they just disappeared. How do I retrieve them for example from iCloud?

Are you sure you didn't press anything In iTunes

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
If you sync contacts with icloud, go to 'iCloud' in 'settings' and turn on 'contacts'. You might have accidentally turned it off.

Otherwise, restoring your phone from a backup is your only hope as far as I know.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
If you sync contacts with icloud, go to 'iCloud' in 'settings' and turn on 'contacts'. You might have accidentally turned it off.

Otherwise, restoring your phone from a backup is your only hope as far as I know.

Aw damn! Well, restoring it is then :S Thank you both for your help! Cheers

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
Aw damn! Well, restoring it is then :S Thank you both for your help! Cheers

Before you do that, check the time and date of the backup. Since you mentioned you synced twice on iTunes...the auto backup is likely the one generated the last time you synced (ie. the one likely doesnt have any contact.)

Maybe try to go to icloud.com and see if there is any contacts, unless you are 100% sure you have never used icloud. (Ie. you turned it off yourself before) if there were some contacts there, you could simply get them on your phone via settings -> icloud -> turn on 'contacts'

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
I actually have my contacts on icloud, but never use icloud. Can I restore them via icloud and then turn it off again?

I have a backup, but its after the erase.

jer04

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2012
Townsville, Australia
I actually have my contacts on icloud, but never use icloud. Can I restore them via icloud and then turn it off again?

I have a backup, but its after the erase.

Yes, turn it on as I said before, then turn it off once those contacts are downloaded to your phone (this will be done automatically). When you turn it off, it will ask you whether you wanna keep those contacts on your phone, click 'yes'.

Just keep in mind, sync contacts with icloud wouldn't waste a lot of battery or mobile data and it would be handy in situations like this, so I would recommend you to leave it on.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Yes, turn it on as I said before, then turn it off once those contacts are downloaded to your phone (this will be done automatically). When you turn it off, it will ask you whether you wanna keep those contacts on your phone, click 'yes'.

Just keep in mind, sync contacts with icloud wouldn't waste a lot of battery or mobile data and it would be handy in situations like this, so I would recommend you to leave it on.

Thank you for the warning and help ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.