Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jootly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
How can I globally change the date format to be dd/mm/yyyy
Because by default it seems to be the American way: mm/dd/yyyy.
I know how to change the cell format to display the date however i want it to, but how do i change the way numbers recognizes what i type into a cell?
So when I type into a cell 01/12/2013, it recognizes it as the 12th of january, but I want it to recognize it as 1st of december. How do i change that.

rudo.ba

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2013
How can I globally change the date format to be dd/mm/yyyy. Because by default it seems to be the American way: mm/dd/yyyy.

System preferences / Language & Text / Region
(set your region, Numbers will respect this setting)

jootly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
System preferences / Language & Text / Region
(set your region, Numbers will respect this setting)

Ok, this works, but still, default when open numbers and type in 05/01/13 it recognizes it as the 1st of may 2013. I then have to go to inspector and change the cell format to recognize it as the 5th of january.
Is there any way to set a default date format, not to have to change it every time i open it?

rudo.ba

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2013
I then have to go to inspector and change the cell format to recognize it as the 5th of january.

Hmm, for me this works. It is also impossible in my version of Numbers 2.3 to exchange months and days in cell inspector, i can just choose different notation like 5-jan or 5-jan-13 and so. Is your order of items in Dates part of Region System preferences correct (day/month/year)?

https://copy.com/uh4UTMIgO8TzzCN4/dates.jpg

If not, set correct region or click on Customize and sort them to day/month/year manually.

jootly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
Hmm, for me this works. It is also impossible in my version of Numbers 2.3 to exchange months and days in cell inspector, i can just choose different notation like 5-jan or 5-jan-13 and so. Is your order of items in Dates part of Region System preferences correct (day/month/year)?

https://copy.com/uh4UTMIgO8TzzCN4/dates.jpg

If not, set correct region or click on Customize and sort them to day/month/year manually.

I uploaded 2 screenshots: first one showing my Regional settings and second one showing what i get in Numbers when i open a blank document and type 05/01/13 in a cell. I get May1 2013 =(

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 4.20.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 4.20.03 PM.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 604
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 4.20.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-26 at 4.20.23 PM.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 586

jootly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
You see the difference?

its weird. when i have Custom set in the regional settings i get the problem with the dates in Numbers, when i set it to United Kingdom, for example, the settings stay exactly the same just the Region says United Kingdom instead of Custom, i don't get the problem anymore. Thanks for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.