Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Sells $16.4 Million in AAPL Stock

Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer sold 37,172 shares of Apple stock on Wednesday as part of a SEC Rule 10b5-1 scheduled trading plan implemented in November of 2011. The sale was disclosed in a filing with the SEC.

The sale took place the day after Apple's July earnings announcement, a profitable choice for Oppenheimer as Apple's stock jumped from $420/share to $440/share following the earnings release. The sale was executed at an average share price of $440.31.

The shares were acquired by Oppenheimer in June as part of a bonus award originally granted in November 2011.

Oppenheimer remains in possession of 4,834 shares currently worth $2.1 million. As of earlier this year, Apple executives -- other than Tim Cook -- are required to hold three times their annual base salary in Apple stock. Oppenheimer's base pay is $800,000 per year, meaning he would be required to hold $2.4 million in stock, though because of variances in Apple's stock price, Oppenheimer is likely still complying with the new requirements.

The transaction was made in accordance with SEC Rule 10b5-1, which means the executive notified the SEC of a plan to sell shares months ahead of the sale to avoid any accusations of insider trading.

Article Link: Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer Sells $16.4 Million in AAPL Stock
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:50 PM   #2
Craiglorocks
macrumors member

I got to meet and speak personally with Mr. Oppenheimer while attending Cal Poly. Really enjoyed getting to speak with him. His presentation was much more entertaining than Tim Cook giving a keynote.
Craiglorocks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglorocks View Post
I got to meet and speak personally with Mr. Oppenheimer while attending Cal Poly. Really enjoyed getting to speak with him. His presentation was much more entertaining than Tim Cook giving a keynote.
Interesting.

Tim Cook isn't much of a presenter, I don't want to go as far as saying "his passion is lacking for the products" but there's definitely something off. He just doesn't have "it".
Szarky is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiglorocks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Interesting.

Tim Cook isn't much of a presenter, I don't want to go as far as saying "his passion is lacking for the products" but there's definitely something off. He just doesn't have "it".
You have to hand it to Tim thaqt he was much better in the last keynote.

Significant changes in rhythm & accent are more than evident.

He must have been seriously coached.
needfx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:55 PM   #5
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Interesting.

He's not a salesman for sure, which is part of Apple's problem right now. He can neither turn lemons into lemonade nor sell air conditioners to Eskimos like Jobs could.

I think Cook has "passion" but just doesn't emote. He's a very stoic personality.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

I'm sure I'm missing something, but what does any of the discussion thus far have to do with Oppenheimer selling stock?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:04 PM   #7
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Wonder what his doing with all that cash??

buying a spot on the space shuttle?
KdParker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I'm sure I'm missing something, but what does any of the discussion thus far have to do with Oppenheimer selling stock?
the whole thread should be deemed OT

period
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:22 PM   #9
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post

Probably reinvesting it back into the economy like most rich people. Buying other stocks for example. Having all his money invested in Apple stock is foolish, so he could be diversifying.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:34 PM   #10
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

K, let me start this off right

OMG Apple is DOOMED! The rats are abandoning the sinking ship.
jonAppleSeed is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:47 PM   #11
appleisking
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
What's to discuss about that? He sold some stock, got some money, will reinvest it elsewhere like everyone else does... Articles like these, which tbh shouldn't even be on here since it's neither a rumor nor does it have anything to do with Apple products, should close the comments.
appleisking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleisking View Post
What's to discuss about that? He sold some stock, got some money, will reinvest it elsewhere like everyone else does... Articles like these, which tbh shouldn't even be on here since it's neither a rumor nor does it have anything to do with Apple products, should close the comments.
I certainly won't disagree with your point that there is not much to discuss. If so, then don't post comments unrelated to the topic of the thread, open a thread on the topic you would like to discuss.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:42 PM   #13
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KdParker View Post

If he has a trophy wife, those are expensive!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 02:22 AM   #14
Larry-K
macrumors 6502a

I found $5 in the dryer, but I ended up giving it to the homeless guy, living in the parking lot, outside our Office Building.

No SEC filing necessary.
Larry-K is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:55 AM   #15
AppleFan1984
macrumors 6502

Why was this story moved from the main articles listing on the front page?
AppleFan1984 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 11:19 AM   #16
rei101
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Interesting.

Wow... do you want to know who doesn't have it? Steve Balmer.

Apple is trying to survive on the wave Steve Jobs left, we have to be realistic here... Apple have been just resizing because they have no clue in how to create new products, and the ones that say that the trash can is "innovation"... yeah right.

I bet in 2 years (or less) Tim Cook will have to step down because Apple won't be able to hide their are not innovating but copying others companies.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Mums
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan1984 View Post
Why was this story moved from the main articles listing on the front page?
Because this is huge news that someone wants to sideline. Maybe the economy is about to crash. Oppenheimer and his family are US / Bay Area elite, so they probably hear about future plans.
Mums is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:24 PM   #18
SusanK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei101 View Post

I bet in 2 years (or less) Tim Cook will have to step down because Apple won't be able to hide their are not innovating but copying others companies.
If Cook is going to hang in as CEO two more years it's time to sell my stock too.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:42 AM   #19
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
If he has a trophy wife, those are expensive!
Firsthand knowledge? lol

On a serious note, I know it shouldn't, but when these top execs at APPLE sell-off large quantities of their stock portfolio, it always somehow undermines my confidence somewhat, in APPLE as a company. They're probably just only cashing out what they're allowed, as it matures, but nevertheless.

There's always that nagging feeling, they know something we don't.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:33 AM   #20
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
If Cook is going to hang in as CEO two more years it's time to sell my stock too.
Some people forget, or perhaps they never knew, that Tim Cook was running Apple for most of the last three years before Steve Jobs died.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 11:48 AM   #21
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The transaction was made in accordance with SEC Rule 10b5-1, which means the executive notified the SEC of a plan to sell shares months ahead of the sale to avoid any accusations of insider trading.
Here's a man who is a very intelligent seasoned executive. It's refreshing to read that he sold off the "ethical and right way", no doubt to suit his personal plans. All indicators are such that the "good old days" of Apple's mercurial stock performance are long gone.

Oppenheimer is using his years of experience and general assessment of Apple to position himself to prevent being caught out, if Apple's share price takes another dive. At his age, the level of experience he possesses is priceless.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:17 PM   #22
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Here's a man who is a very intelligent seasoned executive. It's refreshing to read that he sold off the "ethical and right way", no doubt to suit his personal plans. All indicators are such that the "good old days" of Apple's mercurial stock performance are long gone.
The "ethical and right way" happens to be the only legal way for a top exec to sell their stock.

I'm pretty sure "mercurial" is not the word you were seeking. It means unpredictable, or moody,
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:41 PM   #23
SusanK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
Some people forget, or perhaps they never knew, that Tim Cook was running Apple for most of the last three years before Steve Jobs died.
He's a bean counter, boring and not at all innovative. Doubt there would be an iPad if Cook was actually running the company.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:48 PM   #24
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanK View Post
He's a bean counter, boring and not at all innovative. Doubt there would be an iPad if Cook was actually running the company.
He was actually running the company during Steve's long absences, and probably even more than we knew during his illness. Much of Apple's success in recent years is due to Cook's "bean counting" as COO. Is he the Sultan of Personal Cool like Steve was? No. Is he a great salesman like Steve was? No. But Steve Jobs was one of a kind, so it isn't exactly a useful comparison.
Old Jul 28, 2013, 01:54 PM   #25
SusanK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by IJ Reilly View Post
He was actually running the company during Steve's long absences, and probably even more than we knew during his illness. Much of Apple's success in recent years is due to Cook's "bean counting" as COO. Is he the Sultan of Personal Cool like Steve was? No. Is he a great salesman like Steve was? No. But Steve Jobs was one of a kind, so it isn't exactly a useful comparison.
Cook was an excellent lieutenant. He is not much of a general.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion