Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jul 26, 2013, 01:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Comparison Chart of Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku Content Options

Marketing Land has assembled this comparison chart showing what subscription and rental services can be used with the new Google Chromecast, the Apple TV, and the Roku streaming boxes.

The new Chromecast, which costs just $35, plugs into an HDMI port on a television, and needs to be charged via a USB connection. The Roku box is perhaps the most direct competitor for the Apple TV, with the Apple TV supporting AirPlay mirroring and streaming from iOS devices while the Roku delivers a number of additional content sources.

Article Link: Comparison Chart of Chromecast, Apple TV and Roku Content Options
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:00 PM   #2
troop231
macrumors 601

Love my Roku 3 more than my Apple TV, that's for sure. I doubt it'll be long before YouTube comes to the Roku as well.
troop231 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:02 PM   #3
dustinsc
macrumors regular

Not a very useful comparison since it ignores the casting function on the Chromecast and AirPlay. And even if it mentioned the existence of these services, it still wouldn't get to the issue of the difference between Google Cast and AirPlay.
dustinsc is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:03 PM   #4
tempusfugit
macrumors 65816

AirPlay makes the appleTV vastly superior than the others as long as you have Macs or iOS devices. Second place goes to Roku for making a pretty decent device. Chromecast is pure garbage.
tempusfugit is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a

Is airplay with video content high-quality? I definitely notice Airplay compression when sending an Apple TV computer screen content (at moments of transitions between screens, for example). But maybe with pure video it's pretty solid?

Would love t see Amazon Prime video on Apple TV. Would also love to see apps in general, it seems, well, kind of ridiculous it doesn't have apps already. Although admittedly, a well-designed iOS app really can essentially be an AppleTV app, with Airplay done well.
iPod nano 7th Generation Black
Nicky G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:09 PM   #6
Szarky
macrumors 6502

Love using Airplay to send my music to my big tower speakers.

Does Chromecast work the same? (but you must have Android device?)
Szarky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:12 PM   #7
fivetoedbear
macrumors newbie

It might be worth noting that Roku still sells a box that supports composite video. (Though their newest offering is HDMI-only.)

Not everybody has or needs a new HDTV.

Edit: ...And Roku has the cheapest boxes that come with a remote.

I like to think about "required accessories", which could mean buying an HDTV, or in Chromecast's case, buying an iPod Touch for your guests to use as a remote. $35 box with a $229 remote?
fivetoedbear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:14 PM   #8
curmudgeon32
macrumors regular

These things are so cheap, you don't need to have just one. I use Apple TV like 95% of the time, but switch to my old 1st gen. Roku if I need to do an Amazon rental or something.
curmudgeon32 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:18 PM   #9
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison in that chart, given no mention is made of Airplay or Home Sharing (or presumably other features on the other devices).

Plus, it's quite US-centric, no Hulu Plus, HBO Go or Amazon Prime here, so they're much more 'level'.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
It's a bit of an arbitrary comparison in that chart, given no mention is made of Airplay or Home Sharing (or presumably other features on the other devices).

Plus, it's quite US-centric, no Hulu Plus, HBO Go or Amazon Prime here, so they're much more 'level'.
agreed should be some sort of screen sharing comparision as well.
Koodauw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:38 PM   #11
Xenomorph
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivetoedbear View Post
It might be worth noting that Roku still sells a box that supports composite video. (Though their newest offering is HDMI-only.)

Not everybody has or needs a new HDTV.

Edit: ...And Roku has the cheapest boxes that come with a remote.

I like to think about "required accessories", which could mean buying an HDTV, or in Chromecast's case, buying an iPod Touch for your guests to use as a remote. $35 box with a $229 remote?
I told a co-worker to get an Apple TV. They have an older set, and went with the Roku. It's connected with those wonderful Yellow/Red/White cables.

After using their Roku, I went out and got my mom one (and logged her into my Netflix account). My wife then got me a Roku.

They're really nice. The remote is Bluetooth, and not line-of-sight IR like the Apple TV, that's another plus.

I have no idea why they don't have YouTube, though.
Xenomorph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:46 PM   #12
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Raspberry pi: All that and more and Airplay and airplay-like for Android.
cclloyd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:46 PM   #13
Rocketman
macrumors 603

They all need a browser option.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:47 PM   #14
jacob-07
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szarky View Post
Love using Airplay to send my music to my big tower speakers.

Does Chromecast work the same? (but you must have Android device?)
Chromecast is not locked to any specific os
jacob-07 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:49 PM   #15
megakilo
macrumors newbie

The main advantage of Chromecast is cross-platform with Chrome browser. It also has free public SDK enabling more usage models in the future.
megakilo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:51 PM   #16
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskates are falling all over themselves for this thing.

Last edited by dejo; Jul 29, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: removed trolling.
gatearray is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:56 PM   #17
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
While reading up about this, I just read Sky (an investor in Roku) have just launched the Now TV box; which looks like a cut-down Roku box; but for just 9.99! (not aware of non-UK pricing)

Soon, they'll be paying us to take them.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 02:56 PM   #18
Ethere
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Wow, 20% of the functionality for 1/3 the price of ATV... No wonder all the cheapskates are falling all over themselves for this thing.
The Chromecast is great for $35 bucks. Just the fact I can use a tab from Chrome and shoot it up on the TV is worth that much. Hell, some HDMI cables themselves cost $35.

Last edited by dejo; Jul 29, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: quoted post / response edited.
Ethere is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Merge Chromecast's formfactor w/ Roku's feature set with Apple's AirPlay and you'd have the perfect streamer.

But as-is all 3 are lacking in either content or portability.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:14 PM   #20
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
They all need a browser option.
ATV already has one -- you can mirror your device's browser to the screen, if so inclined. have never found this useful, however. prefer using the device to browser, and never need an audience.
mdelvecchio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:28 PM   #21
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

The problem I have with the device is that it misses in a really critical market. The business presentations. Seriously, if I could put this into my conference room and be able the throw up my PowerPoint presentations onto it, that would be great! Even better is when we have 20 people in the room each giving their own little presentations and have to switch from one person's computer to another -- we do this now by passing around a long HDMI cable.

Second thing they need to make happen is integration with GoToMeeting and WebEx. Again, really makes it easier to share a webex meeting that way.

As for it's current use. Sharing my laptop's browser window? Meh. Seriously if I'm pulling up the video on my laptop, I'll just watch it there, rarely do I have to show it to others. When I do share with others, I just show them my laptop screen. If I want to stream movies from Netflix, I don't want to be bothered with my laptop or iPad, or iPhone (Thus Roku or ATV). Besides having the laptop 1.5' from me is almost the same as my 50" 12' from me.

I think it's a nice little device, but seems out of place for what it should be doing.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:31 PM   #22
richardsonrs
macrumors regular

Should be a yes next to apple iTunes for roku. I stream my iTunes library to my tv anytime I want through plex in my roku. Music and movies.
richardsonrs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:31 PM   #23
tommyminahan
macrumors regular

I got a Roku for our second tv set, instead of getting another ATV.
having used both, i can say the ATV GUI is much nicer than roku, but the roku has more things that i want (amazonprime)
At first i thought the roku was the end of my itunes sharing, but then i discovered Plex streaming server, and that runs in the background on my mac, and allows me full access to my music and video library.

So, its a tossup really between roku and apple to me.

I can't imagine anyone would want to spend $35 dollars just to watch netflix...
tommyminahan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:34 PM   #24
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatearray View Post
Because it works cross platform, it wasn't just "cheapskates" as you seem to call them so intelligently.

It was a great deal when they offered Netflix for 3 months.

Last edited by dejo; Jul 29, 2013 at 04:29 PM. Reason: quoted post / response edited.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 03:38 PM   #25
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
I have no idea why they don't have YouTube, though.
They used to have it on the Roku but Google made them remove it. The channel is still grandfathered though for people who owned the Roku before it was taken off.

If you really want YouTube on the Roku, just use Plex.
Plutonius is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion