Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 14, 2005, 04:38 AM   #1
Sic
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Sic
What're you using to carry your powerbook?

new PB should be arriving this week (15" 1.67 2GB 100GB 7200rpm etc) and im looking for some inspiration for a bag to carry it in. i've already ordered a foofbag for it, but i want a messenger bag or something to put it in. i've currently got a Crumpler Wonder Weenie, and am looking for something of a similar shape, just with a laptop compartment so there's no risk of my USB HD attacking my PB.

anyway, if you'd be so kind as to post your bag, that'd be very kind. and if you want to be extra kind, some pictures of it in action would be lovely as well...i'd ideally like to be able to fit a DSLR in there as well

anyways, thanks very much for your time
Old Nov 14, 2005, 04:59 AM   #2
DSign
macrumors newbie

D*mn I just love Crumpler and their anti thief system! (they placed the zipper behind the carrying straps so nobody can open your bag when it is on your back)
Old Nov 14, 2005, 05:01 AM   #3
dragula53
macrumors regular

Brenthaven

Brenthaven bags are awesome.
dragula53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 05:21 AM   #4
Jay42
macrumors 65816

I actually got a Timbuktu Commute messenger bag for free, but I have not replaced it because I like it so much. Its very comfortable on a bike or just walking around and it has tons of pockets and storage for everything you might need. It probably couldn't hold a bunch of textbooks at once, but certainly at least as big as any regular laptop bag. The top flap is vinyl (I think) lined so this bag is very water resistant. I wouldn't dunk it in a pool with your PowerBook inside, but if it was raining, I don't see how any water would get inside. I thought it was going to provide only decent protection because it is a "generic" laptop bag, but the sleeve seems to be custom sized for the 15" pb! (size lg). The sleeve is fleece lined to prevent scratches, and it is well padded. It has a velcro strap that goes over the top of the sleeve to prevent any movement of the machine while you're moving around. My only (and small) gripe is that the velcro patches on the flap are very strong, and were kind of annoying to pull open all the time. This was easily fixed by a couple of velcro patches from the hardware store, and now I just use the buckles to close the bag. Its an extremely well made bag with a lot of good features, plus it comes in any color you like.

Last edited by Jay42; Nov 14, 2005 at 05:29 AM.
Jay42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 06:18 AM   #5
Bern
macrumors 68000

IMO you can't go past a Crumpler Wack-O-Phone They're Original 1000d fabric; waterproof ripstop lining, thick protective padding; removable and adjustable padded shoulder strap with 3rd leg stabiliser; internal zip pockets; external loop for pouch attachment; Quick Flick (tm) buckle & adjustable laptop sleeve.

I love my Crumpler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b137_o5.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	34740   Click image for larger version

Name:	b137_pop1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	34741  
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:09 AM   #6
inlimbo
macrumors 6502

I use a STM Medium Loft
Link to review c my signature.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:25 AM   #7
Dagless
macrumors Core

always with the crumpler I have a wee bee (named my iPod mini after it too) and love it to smithereens. its just nice and orange. cant recommend Crumpler enough.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:29 AM   #8
Sic
macrumors 6502

Send a message via MSN to Sic
yeah, i love my crumpler too...it just doesnt have a laptop compartment so i'd like to find one with a laptop section. it's a tough decision because there's nowhere around here that does crumpler, so i have to just buy it and hopefully it'll be what i'm after. where do you all buy crumpler from in the UK?
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:36 AM   #9
tobefirst
macrumors 68030

I use my hands to carry my Powerbook. That's it. No bag. No sleeve. Then again, the 'book is 5 years old and wasn't in the greatest condition when I got it a couple months ago. I really like the idea, though, of not surrounding this beautiful thing in a bag.

However, if I had a new one, I'm sure I would feel differently. Check the forum for the bag/sleeve sticky thread. Plenty of great suggestions in there. Personally, I would go for the Booq Vyper. I wouldn't want the bag to hold anything more than my 'book, and it has to look Bad Ass...the Vyper satisfies these requirements.
tobefirst is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:37 AM   #10
crdean1
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crdean1
I posted some reviews of my bag in this thread. Love the Crumpler Considerable embarrassment. It is a little tight on the pb at first, but after a week or so it fits perfect.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...hlight=Reviews
crdean1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 07:51 AM   #11
Applespider
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic
where do you all buy crumpler from in the UK?
Apple Store has some. Selfridges do them too. I'm sure I've seen them on Cancom's site too.

I've bought camera cases from these guys before too. Bristol Cameras
Old Nov 14, 2005, 08:40 AM   #12
jaduffy108
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic
new PB should be arriving this week (15" 1.67 2GB 100GB 7200rpm etc) and im looking for some inspiration for a bag to carry it in. i've already ordered a foofbag for it, but i want a messenger bag or something to put it in. i've currently got a Crumpler Wonder Weenie, and am looking for something of a similar shape, just with a laptop compartment so there's no risk of my USB HD attacking my PB.

anyway, if you'd be so kind as to post your bag, that'd be very kind. and if you want to be extra kind, some pictures of it in action would be lovely as well...i'd ideally like to be able to fit a DSLR in there as well

anyways, thanks very much for your time
>>>Brenthaven for best quality, etc. STM is a great choice too...plus they have more "style". I use a Brenthaven 17....Good luck
jaduffy108 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:00 AM   #13
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

I have the Crumpler Moderate Embarassement, basically the 12'' version of crdean1's bag. I think it is great. You can check out pictures in the same thread.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:06 AM   #14
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

I have a Brenthaven 17 and have used it everyday for 18 months,thats everything not just to tote the PB around,shopping,tools and equipment,camping et al and it still looks brand new.
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:27 AM   #15
bodeh6
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bodeh6
I am using the Samsonite L35 case. It is really nice and have enough space for my laptop, iPod, cables, papers, disks, etc.
bodeh6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:38 AM   #16
adk
macrumors 68000

Not the exact one I have, but similar: http://www.booqbags.com/Detail.bok?no=363

very nice backpack.
adk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 10:55 AM   #17
wPod
macrumors 68000

I am a HUGE fan of Timbuk2 They make tremendously TOUGH messenger bags. I have had one since my freshman year in college (im now in my 5ht year!!!) And it is still practically new (except the velcro shows small signs of being used for the past 4 years) The coolest thing is you can go on their website and design your own bag, what colors you want etc. A great bag and and great company I would highly recommend. They also make good computer bags, but if you already have a foofbag sleeve then you should be set with that.
TV 40GB
wPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:16 AM   #18
raddsigns
macrumors member

Another vote for Brenthaven here - i have one for my 12" Powerbook, and my wife has one for her iBook, and I have a buddy who has one for his iBook. They hold up incredibly well - and if anything ever does go wrong, they have a lifetime warranty. I am able to haul everything I need for a portable workstation in mine including mouse, external drive, all chargers, iPod, etc.

http://www.brenthaven.com/store/flash/flash.html
raddsigns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:16 AM   #19
wako
macrumors 65816

I'm not a fan of messenger bags so I got a backback instead...

Oakley Icon 2.0

I LOVE it. ALOT of pockets you can stick stuff into and VERY spacious

I can fit 2 textbooks 2 1.5 inch binders and 3 spirals Oh and of course my laptop
wako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 11:34 AM   #20
trudd
macrumors regular

I'm a fan of the Incase Sling Pack. It's very streamline and great for urban settings.

http://www.goincase.com/2004/prod_la...lt_slingpk.php

I do believe they're available in both the online and physical Apple Stores.
trudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:14 PM   #21
YunusEmre
macrumors regular

Samsonite XT780 Leather Notebook Case

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...onics&v=glance
YunusEmre is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 01:27 PM   #22
kensuf
macrumors newbie

I use a MacCase proctective sleeve and messenger bag.

You can find them here.
kensuf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:05 PM   #23
discoforce
macrumors 6502a

Love my Timbuk2 for my 15" PB.

Here's a review with several good interior pictures of the Commute (laptop bag).

http://techory.com/blog/review-of-my...2-commute-bag/
Old Nov 14, 2005, 03:22 PM   #24
spencecb
macrumors 6502a

My boyfriend bought my a TUMI bag, and it is awesome.

http://www.tumi.com/tumi_collections...?modelid=11929

Mine is in black, however. It has plenty of storage, and I use it for school everyday, even when not transporting my PowerBook.
Old Nov 14, 2005, 04:02 PM   #25
ic1
macrumors member

Another Vote for Brenthaven

Although the OP said he was interested in a messenger bag, I will put my 2 cents in for a Brenthaven backpack. Like another poster, I use it not only for my 15" PB but also, with the computer sleeve removed, it is a very handy general purpose backpack and I have used it that way many times. It's now almost 18 months old, has been in about a dozen countries and still looks like new. One of the best things about it is that it doesn't shout, "Laptop inside, please steal!", which is a drawback with some of the gimmick bags earlier posters have touted.

Having said that, my recommendation is qualified. Back in my ThinkPad days I had a Tumi which would carry everything, including my BJC-80 and all associated cables and power supplies and still have room for books and papers. Once, I had to shift stuff to my check-in luggage before BA would let me on a flight - I think the bag weighed around 15 kilos or something equally ridiculous. Still have the BJC-80 and it will go in the Brenthaven but it doesn't have the nice compartments that the Tumi had. Don't think Tumi makes that model any more.
ic1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs