Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
new PB should be arriving this week (15" 1.67 2GB 100GB 7200rpm etc) and im looking for some inspiration for a bag to carry it in. i've already ordered a foofbag for it, but i want a messenger bag or something to put it in. i've currently got a Crumpler Wonder Weenie, and am looking for something of a similar shape, just with a laptop compartment so there's no risk of my USB HD attacking my PB.

anyway, if you'd be so kind as to post your bag, that'd be very kind. and if you want to be extra kind, some pictures of it in action would be lovely as well...i'd ideally like to be able to fit a DSLR in there as well :D

anyways, thanks very much for your time :)

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I actually got a Timbuktu Commute messenger bag for free, but I have not replaced it because I like it so much. Its very comfortable on a bike or just walking around and it has tons of pockets and storage for everything you might need. It probably couldn't hold a bunch of textbooks at once, but certainly at least as big as any regular laptop bag. The top flap is vinyl (I think) lined so this bag is very water resistant. I wouldn't dunk it in a pool with your PowerBook inside, but if it was raining, I don't see how any water would get inside. I thought it was going to provide only decent protection because it is a "generic" laptop bag, but the sleeve seems to be custom sized for the 15" pb! (size lg). The sleeve is fleece lined to prevent scratches, and it is well padded. It has a velcro strap that goes over the top of the sleeve to prevent any movement of the machine while you're moving around. My only (and small) gripe is that the velcro patches on the flap are very strong, and were kind of annoying to pull open all the time. This was easily fixed by a couple of velcro patches from the hardware store, and now I just use the buckles to close the bag. Its an extremely well made bag with a lot of good features, plus it comes in any color you like.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
IMO you can't go past a Crumpler Wack-O-Phone They're Original 1000d fabric; waterproof ripstop lining, thick protective padding; removable and adjustable padded shoulder strap with 3rd leg stabiliser; internal zip pockets; external loop for pouch attachment; Quick Flick (tm) buckle & adjustable laptop sleeve.

I love my Crumpler :)

Attachments

• b137_o5.jpg
    b137_o5.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 100
  • b137_pop1.jpg
    b137_pop1.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 125

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
always with the crumpler :) I have a wee bee (named my iPod mini after it too) and love it to smithereens. its just nice and orange. cant recommend Crumpler enough.

Sic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Southampton UK
yeah, i love my crumpler too...it just doesnt have a laptop compartment so i'd like to find one with a laptop section. it's a tough decision because there's nowhere around here that does crumpler, so i have to just buy it and hopefully it'll be what i'm after. where do you all buy crumpler from in the UK?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I use my hands to carry my Powerbook. That's it. No bag. No sleeve. Then again, the 'book is 5 years old and wasn't in the greatest condition when I got it a couple months ago. I really like the idea, though, of not surrounding this beautiful thing in a bag.

However, if I had a new one, I'm sure I would feel differently. Check the forum for the bag/sleeve sticky thread. Plenty of great suggestions in there. Personally, I would go for the Booq Vyper. I wouldn't want the bag to hold anything more than my 'book, and it has to look Bad Ass...the Vyper satisfies these requirements.

jaduffy108

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2005
Sic said:
new PB should be arriving this week (15" 1.67 2GB 100GB 7200rpm etc) and im looking for some inspiration for a bag to carry it in. i've already ordered a foofbag for it, but i want a messenger bag or something to put it in. i've currently got a Crumpler Wonder Weenie, and am looking for something of a similar shape, just with a laptop compartment so there's no risk of my USB HD attacking my PB.

anyway, if you'd be so kind as to post your bag, that'd be very kind. and if you want to be extra kind, some pictures of it in action would be lovely as well...i'd ideally like to be able to fit a DSLR in there as well :D

anyways, thanks very much for your time :)

>>>Brenthaven for best quality, etc. STM is a great choice too...plus they have more "style". I use a Brenthaven 17....Good luck

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I have the Crumpler Moderate Embarassement, basically the 12'' version of crdean1's bag. I think it is great. You can check out pictures in the same thread.

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I am using the Samsonite L35 case. It is really nice and have enough space for my laptop, iPod, cables, papers, disks, etc.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
I am a HUGE fan of Timbuk2 They make tremendously TOUGH messenger bags. I have had one since my freshman year in college (im now in my 5ht year!!!) And it is still practically new (except the velcro shows small signs of being used for the past 4 years) The coolest thing is you can go on their website and design your own bag, what colors you want etc. A great bag and and great company I would highly recommend. They also make good computer bags, but if you already have a foofbag sleeve then you should be set with that.

raddsigns

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2004
Minnesota
Another vote for Brenthaven here - i have one for my 12" Powerbook, and my wife has one for her iBook, and I have a buddy who has one for his iBook. They hold up incredibly well - and if anything ever does go wrong, they have a lifetime warranty. I am able to haul everything I need for a portable workstation in mine including mouse, external drive, all chargers, iPod, etc.

http://www.brenthaven.com/store/flash/flash.html

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
I'm not a fan of messenger bags so I got a backback instead...

Oakley Icon 2.0

I LOVE it. ALOT of pockets you can stick stuff into and VERY spacious

I can fit 2 textbooks 2 1.5 inch binders and 3 spirals :) Oh and of course my laptop :D

ic1

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2005
Another Vote for Brenthaven

Although the OP said he was interested in a messenger bag, I will put my 2 cents in for a Brenthaven backpack. Like another poster, I use it not only for my 15" PB but also, with the computer sleeve removed, it is a very handy general purpose backpack and I have used it that way many times. It's now almost 18 months old, has been in about a dozen countries and still looks like new. One of the best things about it is that it doesn't shout, "Laptop inside, please steal!", which is a drawback with some of the gimmick bags earlier posters have touted.

Having said that, my recommendation is qualified. Back in my ThinkPad days I had a Tumi which would carry everything, including my BJC-80 and all associated cables and power supplies and still have room for books and papers. Once, I had to shift stuff to my check-in luggage before BA would let me on a flight - I think the bag weighed around 15 kilos or something equally ridiculous. Still have the BJC-80 and it will go in the Brenthaven but it doesn't have the nice compartments that the Tumi had. Don't think Tumi makes that model any more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.