Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gilliard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Hi all, Im fed up with not being able to watch stuff on my mac (imac intel 10.6.8 24inch) because of flash, I have various browsers and sometimes i get you need latest flash player to watch, well i did have the latest and on one site it was suggested i downgrade to flash because apple wont support it, witch i tried sometimes it works and others it don't, well you know what i'm gonna ask, what can i do so what ever site i visit if it has video of any kind my mac will play it, do you guys have any suggestions, having such a lovely computer and constantly having to source other means to use it is crap, i've been dare i say it tempted to go from mac to windows.
Apple have changed for the worse over the past few years. :(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
For Flash-related issues:
  • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
  • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
  • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
First off, please try the occasional period in your paragraph-long run-on sentences.

Second, it's not up to Apple to support Flash, it's up to Adobe to build a proper version of flash that will run on Macs. I keep my Flash plugin more or less up-to-date, and I've never had any issues. So perhaps you're in the minority here.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
i have removed all flash plugins and what not on all my macs. Safari has been snappy ever since I uninstalled everything related to flash.

No reason for me to watch videos on the net anymore. Now I have time to move around and have fresh air.

samh

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2009
Hi all, Im fed up with not being able to watch stuff on my mac (imac intel 10.6.8 24inch) because of flash, I have various browsers and sometimes i get you need latest flash player to watch, well i did have the latest and on one site it was suggested i downgrade to flash because apple wont support it, witch i tried sometimes it works and others it don't, well you know what i'm gonna ask, what can i do so what ever site i visit if it has video of any kind my mac will play it, do you guys have any suggestions, having such a lovely computer and constantly having to source other means to use it is crap, i've been dare i say it tempted to go from mac to windows.
Apple have changed for the worse over the past few years. :(

Gilliard, what I've done is removed Flash from Safari and installed Chrome. When I need flash, I use Chrome. When I don't, I use Safari. When I come to a site in Safari that unexpectedly needs flash, I just copy and past the address into Chrome.

Safari is much better behaved this way, and I've never gotten a message about an incorrect Flash version.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Gilliard, what I've done is removed Flash from Safari and installed Chrome. When I need flash, I use Chrome. When I don't, I use Safari. When I come to a site in Safari that unexpectedly needs flash, I just copy and past the address into Chrome.

Safari is much better behaved this way, and I've never gotten a message about an incorrect Flash version.

I do the same. I found this Applescript somewhere (I think maybe Daring Fireball) and use it to launch Chrome with the frontmost Safari URL link in a new Chrome tab. Works perfectly.

I launch the AS from Alfred, but you could save it as an app and launch it from the Dock or whatever also.

Code:
tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
tell application "Google Chrome"
	activate
	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
	tell window 1
		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
			set URL of active tab to currentURL
		else
			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
		end if
	end tell
end tell

gilliard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks guys, its all to confusing, reloaded latest flash from adobe, then when i visit adobe after install of latest flash the adobe site still says i need latest flash to view content, another thing it says is java must be enabled, please forgive my ignorance on this sought of stuff, now some time ago i disabled all cookies from everyone, so does that have an effect on my problem.
Thanks for your patience.
On another note is there some photo program that will work on a mac other than the god awful iphoto, i cant afford aperture, any suggestions.
Cheers gilliard ;)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks guys, its all to confusing, reloaded latest flash from adobe, then when i visit adobe after install of latest flash the adobe site still says i need latest flash to view content, another thing it says is java must be enabled, please forgive my ignorance on this sought of stuff, now some time ago i disabled all cookies from everyone, so does that have an effect on my problem.
Thanks for your patience.
On another note is there some photo program that will work on a mac other than the god awful iphoto, i cant afford aperture, any suggestions.
Cheers gilliard ;)

It is quite possible completely blocking all cookies is causing your issue. Just enable cookies and try it out to test.

You might try out Picasa for photo management. Free from Google.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

This is exactly what I do to.

DrNeroCF

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2004
I'd recommend just installing ClickToPlugin instead of outright uninstalling Flash. On a few sites, if you set your user agent to iPad, they'll give you an html5 version of the video.

For what it's worth, I've found that Safari has been by far the best browser for playing Flash, Chrome and Firefox get laggy input and terrible frame rates because of some horrible sandboxing and CPU throttling policy.

gilliard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks again, lastly is click to flash safe as it says this... (Install extensions only from sources you trust. Extensions can modify the appearance and behavior of Safari, and access your private information at websites.)
cheers gilliard ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks again, lastly is click to flash safe as it says this... (Install extensions only from sources you trust. Extensions can modify the appearance and behavior of Safari, and access your private information at websites.)
cheers gilliard ;)

Yes, ClickToFlash is safe to use. It's been around for a long time and has a good reputation.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'd recommend just installing ClickToPlugin instead of outright uninstalling Flash.

That will work fine, but there is an advantage to not having Flash installed for Safari. Many pages that use Flash will detect you do not have Flash installed, then serve up a non Flash (HTML5) version of the page. Similar to what you are doing by showing the iPad user agent.

If you have Flash installed in Safari, even with ClickToPlugin, the web page still detects Flash and attempts to serve up the Flash version... then ClickToPlugin will block the Flash display. Not the same or as functional as having the HTML5 version served up.

Try it out and you will see the difference.

gilliard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks once again i will give things a go.
Keep doin what your doin cheers.
gilliard :)

DramaLLama

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2011
I'm mainly used Chrome on my MBP but for a few days now I've been trying to stick with Safari.. it's all updated and has flash as far as I know (I've never messed with it except for the occasional trying it out for a day or two/keeping it updated)

..no problems as far I can tell so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.