Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Southernboyj
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
All Students Please Read. [iPad for eTextbooks?]

This is a question directly mainly at college students.

In 3 weeks, I will be returning to my University (I'm in the US) for fall semester.

Do any of you use your iPad for eTextbooks? I've never bothered with even looking into this, but now I'm really interested.

How easy is it to find an eTextbook that you need? And does it save your much money? I already have an iPad 3.

Google just announced an eTextbook service and I'd consider getting a Nexus 7 also if they have more availability.

Any insight is appreciated!
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
This is a question directly mainly at college students.

In 3 weeks, I will be returning to my University (I'm in the US) for fall semester.

Do any of you use your iPad for eTextbooks? I've never bothered with even looking into this, but now I'm really interested.

How easy is it to find an eTextbook that you need? And does it save your much money? I already have an iPad 3.

Google just announced an eTextbook service and I'd consider getting a Nexus 7 also if they have more availability.

Any insight is appreciated!
At my Community College, textbooks were easily found on CourseSmart, Chegg, Kindle and Kno. Pretty much every class book could be found from one of those sources. Unfortunately, at the 4 Year University level, etextbooks are much harder to come by. When I say much harder to come by, I mean I have not found one textbook from any of my classes this entire past year that is available as an etextbook.

When at my community college, etextbooks were roughly 1/4 the price because you could rent them for specific terms rather than having to purchase the book. I pretty much was able to buy my iPad with the savings from 1 year of etextbook rentals.
__________________
iMac 21.5", 2.7 i5 Quad, 8GB, 1TB; 11" MBA 1.7 i5, 4GB, 64GB; Black 64GB 3G iPad 2; Space Grey 32GB iPhone 5S; Red 8GB iPod Nano 5G, and ATV 3
Mlrollin91 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 06:11 PM   #3
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
My last textbook was like less than $20 as a Kindle ebook, and over $50 as a paperback. This year, mine is over $70 both in ebook and paperback format. I'm waiting until the first class to even bothering to order it. It's not a rental either.

So it's hit and miss.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:24 PM   #4
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
All of my textbooks are free PDF downloads from faa.gov
filmbuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:26 PM   #5
1finite
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
I use my iPad exclusively for textbooks and taking notes at college. I use Notes Plus and download PDFs of my textbooks. It's great not to have to carry 20lbs of books around.
__________________
13" MBP, 2.4 GHz C2D, 6 GB RAM, 128 GB Crucial m4 SSD; AT&T iPhone 5; iPad 2 32 GB Verizon
1finite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:53 PM   #6
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Question is are ebooks cheaper?
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 07:56 PM   #7
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
All my texts were on iPad. Mind you I was a film major so half my 'texts' were movies. But I was also a philosophy minor and had no trouble finding the books I needed. And many were public domain so much cheaper than buying paper
__________________
Return of the Non Tech's Wish List
(She's family so I'm biased )
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:05 PM   #8
LightOnAHill
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Wink

Apple screens have a whiter white than any other tablets from what I've seen, so I personally would stick with an apple device for textbooks just so the white is as white as can be.

I love my mini and I did 8 years of school after high school to earn four degrees and I wish I'd of had my ipad mini. I would still take the mini over the full size ipad. I bought an ipad retina last week and have been using it a little bit - it's mostly for the wife cause she is having our child use her kindle fire 7" - and I still prefer the mini, and don't really notice that much of a difference in how the text looks when reading a PDF between the mini and full size retina. There is a difference but its such a minor deal to me I'll take the minis over the full size any day for any use!
LightOnAHill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 09:03 PM   #9
Southernboyj
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightOnAHill View Post
Apple screens have a whiter white than any other tablets from what I've seen, so I personally would stick with an apple device for textbooks just so the white is as white as can be.

I love my mini and I did 8 years of school after high school to earn four degrees and I wish I'd of had my ipad mini. I would still take the mini over the full size ipad. I bought an ipad retina last week and have been using it a little bit - it's mostly for the wife cause she is having our child use her kindle fire 7" - and I still prefer the mini, and don't really notice that much of a difference in how the text looks when reading a PDF between the mini and full size retina. There is a difference but its such a minor deal to me I'll take the minis over the full size any day for any use!
I just don't like the Mini's screen. I have a full sized iPad, and with the Nexus 7 having a 1080p display now, it's an option too.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 09:04 AM   #10
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
Buy a used copy, tear it up, feed it through a scanner, and you have your textbook as a PDF.

It only takes a few minutes (depending on your scanner). The scanner is worth it, because you can use it to go paperless as well (syllabi, handouts, bills, receipts, etc. all available in the palm of your hand). I wouldn't buy an e-textbook even if it was available, because you actually have more control over it as a PDF (not locked into someone's DRM and app). As an added bonus, if you throw all of this into Evernote (handouts, class notes, etc.) it is all searchable and easily organized
palpatine is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 01:52 PM   #11
Southernboyj
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
Buy a used copy, tear it up, feed it through a scanner, and you have your textbook as a PDF.

It only takes a few minutes (depending on your scanner). The scanner is worth it, because you can use it to go paperless as well (syllabi, handouts, bills, receipts, etc. all available in the palm of your hand). I wouldn't buy an e-textbook even if it was available, because you actually have more control over it as a PDF (not locked into someone's DRM and app). As an added bonus, if you throw all of this into Evernote (handouts, class notes, etc.) it is all searchable and easily organized
As much hate as I am going to get for this, I'd rather torrent a book before I scanned every page.
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 07:14 PM   #12
palpatine
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
As much hate as I am going to get for this, I'd rather torrent a book before I scanned every page.
Why? If you scan it, you pay for the book, so it is legal and ethical. Instead, you would rather do something illegal and unethical. I don't see why.

The scanning takes maybe ten minutes at most (maybe five or ten more minutes for OCR -- optical character recognition). You could have all of the books for a course done in less than an hour. Heck, it might even be faster than a torrent.
palpatine is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2013, 08:03 PM   #13
Southernboyj
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Southernboyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mobile, AL
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
Why? If you scan it, you pay for the book, so it is legal and ethical. Instead, you would rather do something illegal and unethical. I don't see why.

The scanning takes maybe ten minutes at most (maybe five or ten more minutes for OCR -- optical character recognition). You could have all of the books for a course done in less than an hour. Heck, it might even be faster than a torrent.
I can scan a book with 800 pages in 10 minutes?
__________________
The box said 'Requires Windows XP or better'.. So I installed OS X.
Southernboyj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 05:51 AM   #14
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Personally, while I would love to use my iPad for textbooks, none are available in ebook format and I can't be bothered buying and scanning all 12.

However, my electronics teacher said he would do it next term for us and upload it as a pdf, so I should have one :P
__________________
MacBook Pro | iPhone 6 Plus (soon!) | iPad Air | Apple TV
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:10 AM   #15
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post

However, my electronics teacher said he would do it next term for us and upload it as a pdf, so I should have one :P
Great lesson to teach your students with that uploading.
__________________
Return of the Non Tech's Wish List
(She's family so I'm biased )
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 10:11 AM   #16
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Great lesson to teach your students with that uploading.
He did write the book a few years ago...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
MacBook Pro | iPhone 6 Plus (soon!) | iPad Air | Apple TV
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:34 PM   #17
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cambookpro View Post
He did write the book a few years ago...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
And unless he is self publishing it he sold the rights to reproduce and distribute to someone else.
__________________
Return of the Non Tech's Wish List
(She's family so I'm biased )
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:39 PM   #18
cambookpro
macrumors 68040
 
cambookpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Berks, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
And unless he is self publishing it he sold the rights to reproduce and distribute to someone else.
He printed it in school, it's all legal.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
__________________
MacBook Pro | iPhone 6 Plus (soon!) | iPad Air | Apple TV
cambookpro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 03:25 PM   #19
Sparticu$
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernboyj View Post
This is a question directly mainly at college students.

In 3 weeks, I will be returning to my University (I'm in the US) for fall semester.

Do any of you use your iPad for eTextbooks? I've never bothered with even looking into this, but now I'm really interested.

How easy is it to find an eTextbook that you need? And does it save your much money? I already have an iPad 3.

Google just announced an eTextbook service and I'd consider getting a Nexus 7 also if they have more availability.

Any insight is appreciated!
I have gotten most all of my textbooks through Kno. The only thing that sucks is that you can't use your financial aid so you have to pay up front and wait for the refund. It's worth it to me though. It beats the hell out of lugging around 5 books around campus.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2
Sparticu$ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 05:02 PM   #20
hagr182
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
I used my ipad (graduated last year, but hey I am going to do a Masters next term) for textbooks, its awesome.

You get cheaper books, you can carry all of them (provided they are available on some form) and not worry about the weight or misplacing them (unless you lose your tablet). Also you can multitask, I used kindle (ebooks) or ibooks (pdf loading for those rare to find materials) and took notes at the same time, not to mention I recorded every complicated lesson and updloaded my notes and recordings to both dropbox and evernote.

Not to mention those awesome note taking apps and the fact that I could keep my schedule and calendar with notifications set up so I never forgot anything.

the ipad is an awesome gadget for school, not to mention you can sneak play angry birds or other games if the lesson gets boring.

My ipad helped me become the 2nd best student on the law faculty and I really began as the worst. if applied correctly the iPad will do wonders for your student life, not to mention entertained and connected.
hagr182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:46 AM   #21
jer04
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Australia
inkling is the one i'm using on iOS. to be honest, it's not much cheaper than hardcopy (sometimes even much more expensive than those on amazon. for example, my haematology textbook is $59 on amazon, but on inkling it is $79.)

the only reason i bought them as ebook is because all of my textbooks are extremely heavy, i can't imagine myself carrying 20+ kg of textbooks every day. if you mostly use your textbooks at home, i don't see why you should get ebooks.
__________________
ASUS ROG G750JS ; Macbook Pro 13" 2011 Early ; iPhone 6 64GB Silver ; iPad Air 16GB Wifi White ; iPod Nano 8GB 6th gen; Nokia Lumia 520
jer04 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:44 AM   #22
nancyfromafrica
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Johannesburg
Yes you can go for the Nexus 7 it is good and will help you in your studies but if you are looking just for ebooks amazon kindle is the best option and it comes with a large screen as well.
__________________
still waiting to buy an iPhone 5
nancyfromafrica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #23
hagr182
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfromafrica View Post
Yes you can go for the Nexus 7 it is good and will help you in your studies but if you are looking just for ebooks amazon kindle is the best option and it comes with a large screen as well.
7 inches is not that big when compared with the ipadīs 9.7 screen, in my opinion you need the extra screen real state for a better experience. I dont mention the mini,s screen because the nexus one runs it over with its resolution.

But if going for the regular sized ipad I think iOS excels
hagr182 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:58 PM   #24
TJ61
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
There are places (at least one that I know of) that will scan your books for you for pretty cheap ($1 per every 100 pages, IIRC). They slice off the spine and send through a scanner, so you don't get your book back. You can specify from a number of digital formats. OCR is possible, but costs more.

Seems like the textbook economy must be a bloodbath in the last 10 years. Depending on your course of study, a single book may be hundreds of dollars. But at the very least you'd think multiple students are going in on a book and getting it digitized.
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:54 AM   #25
boston04and07
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
Buy a used copy, tear it up, feed it through a scanner, and you have your textbook as a PDF.

It only takes a few minutes (depending on your scanner). The scanner is worth it, because you can use it to go paperless as well (syllabi, handouts, bills, receipts, etc. all available in the palm of your hand). I wouldn't buy an e-textbook even if it was available, because you actually have more control over it as a PDF (not locked into someone's DRM and app). As an added bonus, if you throw all of this into Evernote (handouts, class notes, etc.) it is all searchable and easily organized
Sometimes I'll do this, but usually I just find loose leaf versions and scan those with my ScanSnap. I'm in law school and a good number of textbooks come in loose leaf. Sometimes I'll find a "used loose leaf" version on Amazon and you can tell the student before me just took off the binding themselves, haha. But either way, law school textbooks tend to be anywhere between 700-1100 pages, on average, and even that only takes me about a half hour to feed through my ScanSnap. I've never been able to get OCR working on such large files, but hopefully a future update to Acrobat will allow this.

After it's all scanned it goes into iBooks. Even though I don't use this feature all that much, it syncs the last page read to my iPhone, which is nice when I still need to finish my homework on the metro or something. Also looking forward to having it sync to my Mac with Mavericks. I probably won't be reading my books on there either, but I'm sure it will come in handy.

Anyway, I've been completely paperless since I started school, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. It's so nice knowing I always have everything I need and not having to carry a ton of books everywhere. The ScanSnap was definitely expensive but really worth it. I also scanned about 3,000 of my family's photos to keep them safe.
boston04and07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: Which iPad for students? Monkt iPad 19 Jul 17, 2013 03:23 PM
iPad Mini: Can't read outside with iPad/Mini cottonjenn iPad 22 May 3, 2013 04:09 PM
All iPads: College students, how do you use your iPad? rockyroad55 iPad 56 Feb 5, 2013 10:40 AM
iPad 2 vs iPad 3...Screen Difference is Difficult to See...Read On JoelBC iPad 135 Jul 30, 2012 03:43 PM
Best Buy match Apple Ipad Deal for Students? Gator24765 iPad 21 Jun 25, 2012 05:47 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC